Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow stripes at Taylors Hill School

Options
  • 15-06-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭

On either side at the traffic lights at Taylor's Hill school there are yellow stripes presumably to indicate a no enter area or something like that.

I thought that should have been a criss-cross box to indicate a no enter area unless the exit is clear.

Has anyone seen them and does anyone know what exactly they are called?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They graduate movement.
    If you want to know why they exist, why they are banana skin coloured, why why..contact Galway City Council as they own the thoroughfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭bobbyss

snubbleste wrote: »
    They graduate movement.
    If you want to know why they exist, why they are banana skin coloured, why why..contact Galway City Council as they own the thoroughfare.

Thank you for your response.

They graduate movement. What does that mean?
    I don't see many markings like that around the place at traffic lights so I wonder why they are not more common?
    Are these road markings in the rules of the road booklet do you know?

Again, many thanks for your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

bobbyss wrote: »
    On either side at the traffic lights at Taylor's Hill school there are yellow stripes presumably to indicate a no enter area or something like that.

I thought that should have been a criss-cross box to indicate a no enter area unless the exit is clear.

Has anyone seen them and does anyone know what exactly they are called?
    Thanks in advance.

Sounds like rumble strips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Thank you for your response.

They graduate movement. What does that mean?
    I don't see many markings like that around the place at traffic lights so I wonder why they are not more common?
    Are these road markings in the rules of the road booklet do you know?

Again, many thanks for your response.

They may not actually be rumble strips if they are not raised and don't rumble.

I have seen them in other locations where they don't alert drivers by making noise, but supposedly raise awareness of speed.

Road design influences speed, which is one reason why breaking the speed limit is routine in many parts of Galway City. I think the intent of the lines is to alert motorists that they need to slow down. You sometimes see the equivalent just ahead of a roundabout, for example.

Such road markings have a negligible effect, in my experience, at least in Galway. Motor vehicles travel ridiculously fast on Taylor's Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Very common markings. They've been in existance for decades.

The idea is that as the lines get closer and closer together they give the impression that you are speeding up, that, in theory, should encourage you to slow down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    They may not actually be rumble strips if they are not raised and don't rumble.

I have seen them in other locations where they don't alert drivers by making noise, but supposedly raise awareness of speed.

Road design influences speed, which is one reason why breaking the speed limit is routine in many parts of Galway City. I think the intent of the lines is to alert motorists that they need to slow down. You sometimes see the equivalent just ahead of a roundabout, for example.

Such road markings have a negligible effect, in my experience, at least in Galway. Motor vehicles travel ridiculously fast on Taylor's Hill.

thanks for that.
    no, they are not raised and probably are what you described. I can't recall seeing them in rules ot the road. I remember the strange markings from salmon weir bridge to cathedral which disappeared half way across the road. They were some kind of pedestrian crossing i believe but i never saw the like of it anywhere else. Seemed as if they ran out of paint or something. But i have not seen that kind of markings in rules of the road so i wonder can councils come up with their own type of markings on any ad hoc kind of basis. What if there was an accident and one party claimed he misunderstood the markings. Then the council would be in trouble maybe.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I remember the strange markings from salmon weir bridge to cathedral which disappeared half way across the road. They were some kind of pedestrian crossing i believe but i never saw the like of it anywhere else. Seemed as if they ran out of paint or something.

I wonder can councils come up with their own type of markings on any ad hoc kind of basis. What if there was an accident and one party claimed he misunderstood the markings. Then the council would be in trouble maybe.

I recall those weird road markings near the Cathedral. Not the only such oddities in Galway City though. There are several places where markings appear and disappear for no reason, as if road users are expected to be teleported Star Trek style.

Additionally, standard road markings may be used in a non-standard way. There's an example on the Seamus Quirke Road, where cycle traffic on the main road is apparently expected to yield both to with-flow traffic turning left and opposing traffic turning right.

Such ad hoc 'solutions' may not just be a Galway thing, however. I recall a new bridge in Dublin where the Council improvised a new sign just by putting some blue paint over part of the actual legal sign. But sure isn't it grand.

Advertisement