Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt consolidation

Options
  • 15-06-2014 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi,
    i own my own home with no mortgage. i have a large loan with the CU that at the minute is approx 34K. this is for home improvements and a car. i have 4.5 years left on this.
    i owe about 2K on the credit card and am in my overdraft up to 2k.

i am hoping to get more home improvements done to about 18k and clear up the credit card, overdraft and get a few others bits done.
    all in all i would need 60K to clear my CU loan, clear CC and overdraft, get my final home improvements done and a few other bits and pieces.

i am looking to see what i can with my home.
    a ten year personal loan? what is my best course if anyone has any advice out there!

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

By all means take out a 10 year loan for home improvements but it would be bad practice IMHO to include overdraft and credit card balances in a loan of that duration because you will be paying a huge amount of interest on what should be a short term loan.

My attitude is that the loan duration should be only for the life of the item you're buying or less meaning that the loan duration for a holiday should be a year or less, for a car five years or less and so on. Consolidating a credit card balance into a ten year loan would not be a good idea because typically as soon as the slate is clean, you will rack up a bill of the same size in no time at all and be worse off than where you started. Take the pain and pay off the CC and overdraft with a 12 month loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

mangana2 wrote: »
    hi,
    i own my own home with no mortgage. i have a large loan with the CU that at the minute is approx 34K. this is for home improvements and a car. i have 4.5 years left on this.
    i owe about 2K on the credit card and am in my overdraft up to 2k.

i am hoping to get more home improvements done to about 18k and clear up the credit card, overdraft and get a few others bits done.
    all in all i would need 60K to clear my CU loan, clear CC and overdraft, get my final home improvements done and a few other bits and pieces.

i am looking to see what i can with my home.
    a ten year personal loan? what is my best course if anyone has any advice out there!

thank you

Most personal loans tend to be over a max of 5 yrs but you could talk to your bank and see what they say.

A word of caution though. I did the same as you in the 00's, problem was my overall debt was increasing all the time. When I lost my job in 08, I was up s... creek without a paddle.

5-6 years later, I'm still paying that off with over 8k to go. So you can imagine what the over all debt was at the start! Try to operate a policy of paying down your debt rather than racking it up, if possible that is.

Borrow for a house, borrow for a car and save for everything else.

Advertisement