Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miniature desserts

Options
  • 15-06-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

I want to make a display using a selection of mini desserts. Cheesecakes, meringues, chocolate cake etc. Anyone got experience of this.
    It would be easy to pipe tiny meringues and decorate them but would I be better making normal versions of the other desserts and cutting them into tiny portions.
    Any suggestions and ideas would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I'd do these in muffin pans. Think they'd look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You could get little plastic shot glasses and make individual cheesecakes in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks folks, LOVE the idea of the cheesecakes in shot glasses. I have a pack of those plastic glasses somewhere - time to put them to good use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

You could do meringue kisses, like the Meringue Girls.

You make your desired meringue mix then take a large disposable piping bag, paint stripes of food colouring on the inside, fill it up and pipe out little meringues shaped like Hershys kisses! They look fantastic, I've done them a couple of times myself.

Obviously you could also not paint the bag, I just love the stripy bitesize treats!

Thanks Tfak, that sounds like the higher level paper :D
    I'm going to google it though and give it a go - cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Do you have a long rectangular baking dish, or a tray-bake dish?

I make lemon tart in a long fluted rectangle, and then cut it into triangle pieces.

Tray bake recipies are good for mini brownies, or raspberry blondies, or baked cheesecake, drizzle cakes... Anything you can think of really! Then your knife does the job. You can cut into triangles, squares, rectangle, or if you can put up with some waste, break out the cookie cutters and make stars
    , circles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Some small ones I did recently, cheesecakes, chocolate mousse (frozen in silicone trays and popped out when frozen to thaw), rhubarb crumble mini pies and lemon meringue. Small eclairs and profiteroles are good as well.

Another pic of some more minis.

VERY impressed Phormium, they look spectacular - well done.
    I normally make a lot of tray bakes Pwurple (brownies etc). I'll mess around with different shapes and eat the waste :D

Can't wait to get started, thanks a million for all the suggestions.

Thanks. I freeze ahead as much as possible, I have a loose bottomed mini cheesecake tray, like a bun tray but with straight sides and loose bottoms, I line it with acetates and freeze them, makes it easy to get them out and peel off the acetate, they thaw very quickly. All pastry cases can be made and frozen and just filled before using.

The silicone trays of fancy shapes are great for mousses etc as you can just pop them out once frozen. The unfilled choux pastry can be frozen too until needed and I store my mini meringues in the hot press :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement