Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time mature sudent

Options
  • 15-06-2014 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi guys, I've been looking in to returning to college and trying to get a degree under my belt, I am currently working a full time job and if the course relates to the kind of work the company I work for does (electronic chip manufacturer) they will cover the cost of this.Currently I only have my leaving cert done and I did fairly well in it all those years ago.

Can someone suggest courses or modules that might be suitable for me and that are accredited enough that I gain a degree after a certain length of time, I am interested in engineering and I am quite creative as well,so I would like to combine the two.Am I too late to apply?

Any advice would be welcome and really appreciated,I have been looking online at the prospectus and I am left a bit confused.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lyrical

Hi there,

I'm presuming there would be a lot of automation in your job would that be of interest to you?

http://www.lit.ie/Courses/LC277/default.aspx

That's a level 7 course for Automation which is a three year course if you are an electrician or have a similar background you can gain entry directly into Year 2. It's a full time course however in the course I'm in there is someone who is sponsored who does 2 modules a semester given that in total in that course there is 5 modules to be completed each semester,10 modules to be completed each year. It would take you over seven years to go from Year 1 to Year 3!

You have to take into account too that most courses in L.I.T have continuous assessment, practicals etc which would require you to visit the college each week at a certain time and if it's possible for you to leave work at those times.I'm not sure all courses have the option for part time it's something you'd have to inquire directly about.

Would a night course be out of the question?
    There is a similar night course Bachelor of Engineering in Manufacturing Technology which requires you to do 12 week modules, there is 13 different night courses pick 12 on completion of each module you receive 5 credits on accumulating 60 credits you get your degree.I'm unsure can you do 2 modules simultaneously.

There is also different degrees that can obtained by night courses in the link below.

http://www.lit.ie/Courses/Pages/Evening%20Classes.aspx

I'm just going off what you said in your post so I might be way off the mark. you can ring the Admissions office and ask for more in-depth information regarding any course think they remain open throughout the summer I think registration for the night courses begin in July.Regarding the full time course depending on the class size etc you may be still able to register for it as a mature student but again the admissions office would know better than I would.

Hope this post was some help to you
    Best of luck on whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blackrock

You may be able to build a qualification through ACCS. Talk to LIT flexible learning.. You'll find them on the LIT website.

From the LIT admissions Web page:
    Accumulation of Credits & Certification of Subjects (ACCS)
    This is an innovative scheme whereby programmes or constituent modules of programmes may be offered on a single-module basis. Module certificates are awarded to successful participants and credits are accumulated towards a full award.

The programme is especially suitable for adults and people in industry generally, with limited time available for attendance and study, but who require access to the educational system. Pro–rata fees will apply to ACCS learners.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 budwider

Just wanted to send a quick thank you to all of you guys for the kind advice, It has been a slog trying to get my job to approve of sending me back to college,but thankfully it has worked out and I am starting a course in LIT tomorrow evening, little bit anxious and nervous, but I've been swatting up a bit on a lot of the stuff I used to know and am looking forward to the challenge, I have chosen to do a technician diploma and hopefully it leads on to a higher qualification over the next few years, thanks a lot guys,really appreciate the kind advice :)

Advertisement