Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Liverpool- summer months?

Options
  • 15-06-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Liverpool for the summer months, any chances of getting short term work during the summer, also I would be going alone, how have people found Liverpool for making friends, etc, any advice/tips for getting to know people in the short term.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

To be honest the best advice I can give you is to go somewhere else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I love Liverpool but there's no chance I'd live there. Your best bet might be to contact the Irish bars prior to going over. You can also try recruitment agencies, gumtree and so on.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mick_1984

I've been living in Liverpool for seven years, and i would definitely recommend it as a city to move to. It's a great size, there's loads of great pubs/bars/restaurants, and plenty of attractions. In terms of work, i'm afraid i cant give you any direct advice, but i'm sure you'd find something, what type of work are you looking for? The best way to get to know people is to join one of the GAA/football clubs that exist here, Wolftones GAA club are always looking for new member regardless of who good you are, they're very social too. Hibernia FC are the soccer equivalent to Wolftones. Other than that, if you want to meet other Irish, i'd recommend going to Pogue Mahones or Shennigans and i'm sure you'll get to know some people there, they're the only genuine Irish bars in the city. Best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Mick_1984 wrote: »
    Pogue Mahones or Shennigans and i'm sure you'll get to know some people there, they're the only genuine Irish bars in the city.

Pogue Mahones or Shennigans ? They are about as genuine as the names suggest.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mick_1984

Long Gone wrote: »
    Pogue Mahones or Shennigans ? They are about as genuine as the names suggest.....:rolleyes:

They are genuine in the sense that they're run by Irish and are full of Irish living in Liverpool. The show the GAA, Irish rugby and internationals. The OP would probably appreciate that bit of advice despite the pubs having naff names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Mick_1984 wrote: »
    Nobody likes a troll. They are genuine in the sense that they're run by Irish and are full of Irish living in Liverpool. The show the GAA, Irish rugby and internationals. The OP would probably appreciate that bit of advice despite the pubs having naff names.

If you believe someone is a troll, please report the post. Do not drag the thread off-topic by commenting in-thread.

Thank you,
    Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

Try www.spareroom.co.uk for flat share. You might get lucky with short-term contact. Liverpool is the best northern city by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Try www.spareroom.co.uk for flat share. You might get lucky with short-term contact. Liverpool is the best northern city by far.

Not to go off topic, but I hear good things about Leeds and Newcastle as well.
    I didn't include Manchester here, as it's decent but maybe too obvious.
    I've been looking online for jobs in the North of England and they are thin on the ground for the sector I am looking at (digital media).

Or I don't have the necessary experience for others.

Liverpool. Rough and ready, but not the worst place I have been. Some good boozers there.

Best city in the north of the UK is Edinburgh ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

seachto7 wrote: »
    Not to go off topic, but I hear good things about Leeds and Newcastle as well.
    I didn't include Manchester here, as it's decent but maybe too obvious.
    I've been looking online for jobs in the North of England and they are thin on the ground for the sector I am looking at (digital media).

Or I don't have the necessary experience for others.

Liverpool. Rough and ready, but not the worst place I have been. Some good boozers there.

Best city in the north of the UK is Edinburgh ;)

Newcastle's a bit awkward to get to and from. I've never been so I won't comment further. I was in Leeds once for a day out and I've no desire whatsoever to return. I'm a big fan of Sheffield though. It's got the best Irish Pub I've ever been to in the UK. I love Liverpool but I'd be reluctant to move there. Cracking night out though.
    For digital media, I'd say Manchester is your only option unless you've contacts at local stations in Merseyside and the like.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I like the fact that with Liverpool and Manchester, you can get into the wide open countryside relatively quickly and easily. Wales is not too far away either. They are fairly well located in the UK I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement