Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vs Bosnia - 11PM (BBC1/RTE1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well done to Bosnia and Herzegovina's 1st WC goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Bosnia should get out of the group on this showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Liam O wrote: »
    I've noticed a few of them not being given this tournament.

Yeah they have been letting players away with some nasty tackles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Don't think there'll be many too worried looking at that Argentinian team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Bosnia probably the better side overall, unlucky not to get something from the game.

FT: Argentina 2-1 Bosnia-Herzegovina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Some of the tackles at the end there were fantastic. I hope the Honduran were watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Argies wont be so overrated by the masses after this. They still deserved the win mind, based on the second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Looks like Messi will struggle to score unless the opposition help kick the ball into the net for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the Argentinians were just needlessly frantic.

it made for an awesome last 10 minutes though, so who's complaining?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Ha, peas in a pod.

Not at all. In fact I'm with the majority here when it comes to the bullsh*t in relation to Spain and Barca. But the fact is this forum gives Messi an awful time. He wasn't devastating tonight but was still easily the best player on show. Some of the comments about him here are borderline disgraceful... Ronaldo rarely receives that treatment. I dunno if it's the general hate for Barca and their players in this forum or the United fans who ride Ronaldo senseless, but Ronny never receives so much negativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Di Maria played like about 80% of his Real career so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Poor from Argentina. I fancy Bosnia to get out of group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Lawro is commentating on Argentina in the Maracana and he still has the gall to moan and groan at every little thing.

Heard about this. What kind of things has he been complaining about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

What on earth is Ozzy Ardiles saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Other than the goal, I don't think I've ever see Messi play so bad. Amount of times he just wouldn't pass was unreal, wouldn't even look up.

• Advertisement

I think Bosnia will get out of the group too and fair play to them. They're not too shabby a side.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

They have been taking an obtuse amount of silly long range shots. No composure at all.

Which is more of a surprise as they were known for playing some quite intricate football in the final third during qualifying. Perhaps it was just nerves or name in lights syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Argentina were anything but impressive for me. We all know what their forwards are capable of but they don't look like they can stop the counter against a team with pace. I don't see them winning this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

Corholio wrote: »
    Get over yourself. Then go back around and get over yourself again.

Does this pass for wit around here??

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Nope nothing to do with Messi don't worry. It's purely your style of words. It's a pretty unnatural way to speak. It can be quite frustrating to read.

I think it's a lot more natural than:

GOOOOOAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!1!

GTFI!!!

LOL

MESSSSSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What on earth is Ozzy Ardiles saying

Haha imagine if he was drunk :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Not at all. In fact I'm with the majority here when it comes to the bullsh*t in relation to Spain and Barca. But the fact is this forum gives Messi an awful time. He wasn't devastating tonight but was still easily the best player on show. Some of the comments about him here are borderline disgraceful... Ronaldo rarely receives that treatment. I dunno if it's the general hate for Barca and their players in this forum or the United fans who ride Ronaldo senseless, but Ronny never receives so much negativity.

I suggest you look back at some of the Messi-Ronaldo debates on here and they will prove that the opposite of what you're saying is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Heard about this. What kind of things has he been complaining about?

Giving out about not seeing a replay of a good Aguero first touch, never stopped, should have stuck with Alkin/Beglin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd say Argentina will be happy enough with that.

It's the toughest game in their group against a pretty good team.
    They were badly set up but improved a lot in the 2nd half.

Their execution in the final third needs a bit of work but so long as they stick to the system in the 2nd half they should get through this group at a canter.

Even if Messi's goal wasn't going in before the deflection, it showed the danger he can pose.
    You don't need many opportunities like that to win a game.

They have enough to beat any team in the competition. Until they get into the knockout stages I don't think they're going to be truly tested though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Great goal from Messi. Argentina win despite playing poorly at times. That's often a good sign in a team. I hope Argentina win it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Kirby wrote: »
    He's not different, he's trolling and he gets away with it.

I'm set to sign off after this as it is rather late and I'd rather not derail the thread however I will address that allegation as I do take it rather seriously.

Read through my post history, my posting style doesn't change. It doesn't change because that is how I write. I write like that because, in real life, I talk like that. My style is consistently the same because that is who I am.
    I commented on a match thread about a significant incident in the match, it was my second post on this thread. Had you, and others, simply ignored it or responded with a football orientated post then this could have been avoided. However it is you and others who have decided to talk about things other than football and now, because you are accusing me of something, I am having to respond to it, simply put, I wish to speak about football, you and others have taken this thread down a different path.

If you do not like the contents of my posts, place me on ignore. If you disagree with a point I make please do bring it up and I will debate my point of view, however I do not appreciate accusations of trolling when my post history suggests otherwisevand when it is infact others who have made this thread about something other than the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

If I was the Bosnian manager I would be like a demon with the amount of 40 yard shots to row Z they were taking.They deserved a draw at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Bosnia are a good team, should easily go through in this group, Argentina lacked a bit of urgency at times and seemed like they felt they didn't have to work to actually win it, DiMaria in the last 20-30 mins was a bit clumsy. Would like to see Lavezzi , think he could offer a lot, Messi yet again on BBC was getting doubted until he scored! Lennon saying he had a poor season, 41 goals in 46 games sounds decent to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I'm set to sign off after this as it is rather late and I'd rather not derail the thread however I will address that allegation as I do take it rather seriously.

Read through my post history, my posting style doesn't change. It doesn't change because that is how I write. I write like that because, in real life, I talk like that. My style is consistently the same because that is who I am.
    I commented on a match thread about a significant incident in the match, it was my second post on this thread. Had you, and others, simply ignored it or responded with a football orientated post then this could have been avoided. However it is you and others who have decided to talk about things other than football and now, because you are accusing me of something, I am having to respond to it, simply put, I wish to speak about football, you and others have taken this thread down a different path.

If you do not like the contents of my posts, place me on ignore. If you disagree with a point I make please do bring it up and I will debate my point of view, however I do not appreciate accusations of trolling when my post history suggests otherwisevand when it is infact others who have made this thread about something other than the match.

Dumpy was right. Football isn't a working class game anymore!

I suggest you look back at some of the Messi-Ronaldo debates on here and they will prove that the opposite of what you're saying is true.

I'm not saying Ronaldo doesn't get criticism, of course he does. I for one have criticised him at times. But take the CL final for example. Ronaldo was utter sh*te. Yet I recall that the amount of times people commented on his poor display as very few. Compare that with a poor performance from Messi and he'd be slated every five minutes if he had been in that game and performed similarly. Tonight proves that, a game not as big as a CL final and Messi was still pretty decent. It took an exaggerated celebration from Ronny for some hate to roll in. And it's clearly not a case of people expecting more from Messi.

• Advertisement

Neeson wrote: »
    Dumpy was right. Football isn't a working class game anymore!

shud we rite lyk dis??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I thought Messi was very good in the second half, always looked a threat. Shocking first half though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm not saying Ronaldo doesn't get criticism, of course he does. I for one have criticised him at times. But take the CL final for example. Ronaldo was utter sh*te. Yet I recall that the amount of times people commented on his poor display as very few. Compare that with a poor performance from Messi and he'd be slated every five minutes if he had been in that game and performed similarly. Tonight proves that, a game not as big as a CL final and Messi was still pretty decent. It took an exaggerated celebration from Ronny for some hate to roll in. And it's clearly not a case of people expecting more from Messi.

I agree with some things you say, but to be honest I thought Messi wasn't that good tonight. He lost the ball quite a few times and besides the goal rarely beat an opposing player. I'd give equal credit to Bosnia for playing well against him though but he wasn't that great IMO. Criticism of him doesn't always have to be questioning of his ability.

efb wrote: »
    shud we rite lyk dis??? :D

yeah, don't be talking like what's in fancy books ya sap. you, you thesaurus you

No disrespect to Iran and Nigeria but this is the world cup that Messi should finally start scoring more goals in. Playing in his preferred position and should find himself with a lot of chances. Only worry is a lot of players will be out to prove a point against him and could injure him.

Why does it all have to be about Messi anyway? There are other players in that team who weren't exactly setting the world alight either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Nothing from you either, shame you had to ruin it.

Keep it civil, you do not get to decide who posts when or where.

Also, a reminder for everyone with our World Cup charter: please be careful of backseat moderation which includes accusations of trolling and recommending ignore list functions. They are stupid reasons to be picking up a card and a ban, but that they will.

This picture sums up tonight

Bosnia were terrific first half in closing down, but I think we all knew it would last for 60+ minutes, they should do well in this group though!

• Advertisement

Why does it all have to be about Messi anyway? There are other players in that team who weren't exactly setting the world alight either.

Exactly. I'm a City fan and I'll be the first to admit Aguero had a stinker. He was dreadful. He's not at Messi's level but he's not bloody far off but besides maybe two posts on this thread, nobody made reference to it. Again, I have no problem with people criticising Messi. He's my favourite player but he was average at times tonight. His passing was poor, he looked disinterested at times and made silly runs. But other times he was a genius and put in a good opening performance overall. It's just sly comments about a deflection that should make it an OG and not his goal that are annoying and unfair. Nobody mentioned the deflection for Robben's goal the other night. If Ronaldo scores tomorrow via a slight deflection I doubt anyone will mention it. It just seems to be the norm lately to be negative towards Messi just because he's not reaching the untouched heights of a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Ah come on now that's not true. I remember that thread well and many people were not only commenting on Ronaldo's poor display but also clearly enjoying the fact he was poor, which puzzled me a bit. The penalty and celebration just tipped things over the edge then and the thread became a disaster.

Messi gets plenty of praise when he rightly should, but the odd bit of criticism when he's not playing well and apparently people are being unfair on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Am I the only one not creaming myself over Messi's goal? It was all right like. Obviously he's a great player so people expect great things, but it's not like we've never seen a goal like it before. The bombast would drive you mad sometimes.

I agree that too much focus goes on a teams top player so the poor performances around him are forgotten, but what's funniest is even when the likes of Messi and Ronaldo have a poor season or match it is normally still better than most players average performances!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Am I the only one not creaming myself over Messi's goal? It was all right like. Obviously he's a great player so people expect great things, but it's not like we've never seen a goal like it before. The bombast would drive you mad sometimes.

The defenders didn't cover themselves in glory, back peddling instead of closing him down, the left full taking the centre back out of and giving his acres of space to run in to.

It was a decent goal but it wasn't the best move of the game, and probably won't make the end of tournament highlights reel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Missed the first half but not particularly impressed by Argentina. The Messi goal looks like in had a slight deflection. Shocking to think it's his first WC goal since 2006. He needs to step it up, because when it comes to leading his team on the world stage, Maradona he certainly ain't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

sabella was honest enough to admit on Argv that he made errors in the team selection, gago wasnt bad when he came on, higuain although average enough changed the shape of the team and gave them and focus further up the pitch. 5 at the back against dzeko on his own was pointless and strangled the team. Di maria played with a lot of energy.

Aguero and messi seemed to have a little spat, kun will have to lift his game. palacio will be back and would have got a go there tonight

Missed the first half but not particularly impressed by Argentina. The Messi goal looks like in had a slight deflection. Shocking to think it's his first WC goal since 2006. He needs to step it up, because when it comes to leading his team on the world stage, Maradona he certainly ain't.

Maradona had a better system and players around him than Messi had in his previous world cups, think Messi gets a lot of the blame for Argentinas poor performances when the rest of the team get away with it. Argentina haven't even got as far as the Semis in 24 years, even Batistuta couldn't guide them that far. Think too much focus is on one player and not them entire team. That's why I fancy the Germans whole team seems to work well and not have a weak link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Maradona had a better system and players around him than Messi had in his previous world cups, think Messi gets a lot of the blame for Argentinas poor performances when the rest of the team get away with it. Argentina haven't even got as far as the Semis in 24 years, even Batistuta couldn't guide them that far. Think too much focus is on one player and not them entire team. That's why I fancy the Germans whole team seems to work well and not have a weak link.

Yeah I've been wondering has Messi been holding Argentina back a bit. Tonight they all seemed to just stand around waiting for him to do something. If he wasn't there they might have worked a bit harder. Probably not but just a theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Adamocovic wrote: »

Maradona was their system and apart from Maradona himself, there was nothing special about their 1986 team. The magic and wizardry of Maradona singlehandedly led his team to WC victory. And I doubt if I'll ever see his like again on the world's biggest stage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's a bit of a weird way to put it. There's only been one World Cup since so he failed to score in 5 matches. Hardly the end of the world given the way he was deployed in that tournament.

• Advertisement
Advertisement