Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Butcher in the City

• 15-06-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭

Mere lads who does the best value meat in town, ive pennies to spare and bellies to fill so gimme the deets

Comments

Jim Flavins in Ballinacurra would be up there along with Garrets on Fr Russel Rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

O'Connell's Butchers on Little Catherine Street are really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

All of the above as well as Hogan's on William Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Jack Sparts across from the church in Janesboro, really really top class lads, and great meat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Jim Flavins in Ballinacurra would be up there along with Garrets on Fr Russel Rd

Depending on who is serving on a given day. Have found Flavins to be quite inconsistent especially when it comes to poultry. One day it is very good, then a few days later the exact same type of meat is much poorer in quality, and they can be very inconsistent when it comes to cooked product imho.

Garrets I find to be much more consistent in terms of quality. No matter who serves you there or who is working on a particular day the meat always seems to be of the same quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Think flavins is way better in terms of value and deals , butcher boy in William street is worth a visit too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Get all my meat from Seamus Butler never dissapointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

All of the above as well as Hogan's on William Street.

We used to buy stuff in Hogan's from time to time, until last year when we bought 2 trays of chicken. When we opened the packaging to freeze them the stench was shocking, I almost puked, I'll never forget it. Never went back after that, and they were still a few days before sell by date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

We used to buy stuff in Hogan's from time to time, until last year when we bought 2 trays of chicken. When we opened the packaging to freeze them the stench was shocking, I almost puked, I'll never forget it. Never went back after that, and they were still a few days before sell by date.

I dont know Hogans and doubt I ever bought meat there but surely you should have gone back and let him rectify it and perhaps give him a 2nd chance, I doubt he knowingly tried to pass off a bad product as good.

OT, we would use Garrets in Castletroy for the majority of our meat, couldn't fault them. Are they the cheapest - no idea but certainly they're in top of the pile for choice and quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Garretts is the most expensive butcher around but a wise old man(butcher as it happens) once told me that you'll forget the price you paid but you'll never forget if you get bad meat. The quality of Garrett's meat is very good and Garrett himself is a very nice man. His lamb and chicken are the best in Limerick IMO (I'd use the Raheen shop mostly but have been in the Castletroy one a good few times). The beef is very good also but the best beef is to be got in Pat O'Connor's on William street just up from Foxes Bow, he's also very good for the cheaper slow cook cuts or offal if you are looking to eat well on a shoestring. For pork it has to be O'Connell's on Little Catherine Street.
    Aherne's butchers on Roches street is very good also, real old style, if you tell him what you're looking for chances are he'll cut it on the spot for you, I know some of the best restaurants in town get their beef from here.

I love butcher shops:o:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

phog wrote: »
    I dont know Hogans and doubt I ever bought meat there but surely you should have gone back and let him rectify it and perhaps give him a 2nd chance, I doubt he knowingly tried to pass off a bad product as good.

OT, we would use Garrets in Castletroy for the majority of our meat, couldn't fault them. Are they the cheapest - no idea but certainly they're in top of the pile for choice and quality.
    I don't live in Limerick and I wouldn't suggest that they knowingly sold bad poultry. Given that they've been on William street for so long they must be good. It's like anything really, if you have a bad experience you tend not to go back. The stench of the chicken breasts was overwhelming, not something I'd want to take with me from Clare to Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

thansk guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

I don't live in Limerick and I wouldn't suggest that they knowingly sold bad poultry. Given that they've been on William street for so long they must be good. It's like anything really, if you have a bad experience you tend not to go back. The stench of the chicken breasts was overwhelming, not something I'd want to take with me from Clare to Limerick.

Did you try phoning him?

I agree it can be difficult going back but most businesses appreciate feed back, even bad feedback and by not hearing about it he's not had the opportunity to rectify the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Garrett's get my vote for quality of meat too. They can be a little more expensive than other places but not too much either.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement