Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone play an instrument, or fail to?

• 15-06-2014 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

I have a guitar gathering dust, I can play whatever chords and I remember learning the pentatonic scale but I never got proficient enough to hold my own. I can strum this or that. I haven't picked the thing up in years except maybe to see if I remember the fingering. Fingering is very important, as everyone knows.

I'd love to be able to sing but I have little range and sound pretty bad anyway.

How about y'all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I have a guitar gathering dust, I can play whatever chords and I remember learning the pentatonic scale but I never got proficient enough to hold my own. I can strum this or that. I haven't picked the thing up in years except maybe to see if I remember the fingering. Fingering is very important, as everyone knows.

I'd love to be able to sing but I have little range and sound pretty bad anyway.

How about y'all?

Absolutely. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Drums and the guitar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

I play with my flute a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

I used to play a mean Annie's Song on the tin whistle.
    It was all I could play, and I played it over and over.
    My poor parents, how they suffered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Guitar, ukulele, keys and slowly learning drums. I prefer playing ukulele of the lot, but I always wanted to be a drummer since I was a kid. I'm gonna start a one-man punk rock band!

EDIT: Also own a violin, but it's really difficult and can't afford lessons :(:( .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I have a guitar gathering dust in my parents house. I live in a tiny little flat, I have little enough room as it is. If I got a bigger place I might look at picking it up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I play the piano to level 8(the highest). I'm left handed and have failed to master the guitar or similar instruments. I do play a very good rendition of glenroe on the tin whistle though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

I could play the flute a few years back. I would love to pick it up again but they are very expensive to purchase new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I play a bit of guitar, not great but I enjoy it a lot so don't beat myself up about not being all that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Been playing guitar for years, and miss it severely whenever I am away someplace and can't play it. Great way to relax and looking back on it, deciding to put the effort in to learn it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Played drums a little before, but left it to the wayside when I started guitar. Might go back to it, although piano is next on the list for me , I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Playing guitar for about 5 years now.

Christ I'm awful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I gave up guitar and piano :( I was pretty good at them too. Probably my greatest regret. I want to pick up at least one of them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Piana, fiddle and can sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

MacBizzle wrote: »
    Playing guitar for about 5 years now.

Christ I'm awful.

I laughed. That's the spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Whistle and the pipes.

I cannot play the Banjo btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'm a limited, but enthusiastic, piano player. Can knock out a few swing and big band numbers without making a total show of myself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

WHAT

You mean all this was just a lie??

Now I'm forced to go with the other non-musical interpretation of your username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Bought a great guitar as an expensive way to find out I am brutal at it, seriously awful. Then my niece needed a better guitar to express some serious talent. Turned out my only musical ability is facilitating hers. Best money I ever spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

I play bass in a band and i play a little guitar also.I quite enjoy it.I would recommend to everyone to learn an instrument during their lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Rud wrote: »
    I play bass in a band and i play a little guitar also.I quite enjoy it.I would recommend to everyone to learn an instrument during their lives

A ukulele?

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I can't play any musical instruments but I've got a bit of a collection of them. When I was in Egypt, I bought a bongo and a rababa (a 2-stringed thingy), a concertina, a psaltery, a harmonica, and this week I got a theremin. I also have custody of my brother's fancy-schmancy keyboard. (He doesn't have room to store it).

I've never put any serious effort into playing any of them. I really should try...

I can't play any musical instruments but I've got a bit of a collection of them. When I was in Egypt, I bought a bongo and a rababa (a 2-stringed thingy), a concertina, a psaltery, a harmonica, and this week I got a theremin. I also have custody of my brother's fancy-schmancy keyboard. (He doesn't have room to store it).

I've never put any serious effort into playing any of them. I really should try...

You really should.

I would very much like to play with an expensive keyboard in my own time. It should be easy to look up and play some stuff, slowly, but all the same.

Why haven't you played guitar in years OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I play the drums.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I play the drums.

I don't believe you.
    MacBizzle wrote: »
    Why haven't you played guitar in years OP?

I've lived in a few different house shares which make it more difficult, and I'm kept busy with other things somewhat. It is a commitment to practice and I suppose I never saw myself as being good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I've lived in a few different house shares which make it more difficult, and I'm kept busy with other things somewhat. It is a commitment to practice and I suppose I never saw myself as being good at it.

That's a very salient point in fairness. I haven't house-shared since I was a student, but there was nothing more tiresome that some loser plucking away on an acoustic guitar in his room. Usually mixed with smoking weed, a misguided belief that he was the next Bob Dylan, and failing exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I bought a saxophone about 4 years ago and have tried learning it on and off , I taught myself a couple of tunes and played a bit of jazz scales. I don't think I'm to bad when I'm making **** up on jazz scales but as soon as I start a tune I know I sound terrible to me.

My neighbour and my wife said you sound ok, good even... I just started believing it when my 7 year old niece heard me and said I was pretty bad. My advice is always ask a small child for a honest answer.

My real problem I have learning saxophone is it's such a noisy instrument to learn and I hate anyone listening to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Classical and acoustic guitar and (the much under-rated) ukulele. No singing!
    Chet Atkins best describes my musical education:

"I'm confessin' I never took a lesson,
    All these notes are a matter of guessin'"

When I first started to show promise on my £4-19-11 plywood guitar, my dad suggested lessons, but I declined. I got and still get tremendous satisfaction from hearing a tune I like, figuring out the chords myself and finding a key where I can play the chords and melody line together.

I mean no disrespect to trained musicians - I regularly stare at monitors to try and see HOW they do it and I would probably recommend "some" lessons to beginners. After all, "somebody" taught Shakespeare his grammar and spelling......!

I think it's sad to see so many instruments neglected and abandoned. I've heard many reasons for this but there is only one reason really: the amount of music trapped within and the desire to release it was outbalanced by the prospect of thousands of hours of practice, frustration / ecstasy and sore body parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Have a guitar gathering dust as well,got lessons as a child many years ago but never keep it up which i regret,have any bordies taught themselves to play guitar online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Whistle and the pipes.

But can you string a banjo? ;)

delw wrote: »
    Have a guitar gathering dust as well,got lessons as a child many years ago but never keep it up which i regret,have any bordies taught themselves to play guitar online?

I've a cousin who did and he's claaaaaasssss. Everyone I've met who've learned online are better than those who had teachers.

If you follow online instructions well you'd be better off than paying for lessons imo, the fact you'd have to figure some stuff out yourself would really help too.

I'd say go for it :p:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I play guitar and piano. Took a few guitar lessons when I was 13, but I've mostly self-taught on both, and hence not as good as your classically trained types! I've been thinking of getting some advanced guitar lessons soon though, because I'm kinda stuck in a rut since I stopped challenging myself (and started listening to Bob Dylan!) when I was about 18. It's a bit frustrating when you hit your creative limit and end up playing the same stuff every time you pick up the instrument. I lost interest in electric guitar a good few years ago too, mostly because I never had any decent equipment so couldn't get a good sound out of it. But I only recently (few months ago) joined my first band, which I play piano in, and now every time the singer leaves his Telecaster on the ground, I'm over playing it :D So thinking I'll probably buy some proper gear of my own soon.

I sing a bit too, mostly just backing vocals in the band. Would ultimately like to write and sing my own songs. Some day!

Oh I bought a violin a few weeks ago too, but it's not easy so I'm gonna leave that til I can take lessons.

I can play a bit of uke too.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

I bought a harmonica and learned how to play Mary Had a Little Lamb....4 years later I now forget how to play Mary Had a Little Lamb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Have been teaching myself piano for the last couple of years. Played around with ukulele, ocarina and viola as well. Used to play a bit of guitar years ago, started again this week using Rocksmith 2014. Music practice has never been as fun :).

• Advertisement

I bought a saxophone about 4 years ago and have tried learning it on and off , I taught myself a couple of tunes and played a bit of jazz scales. I don't think I'm to bad when I'm making **** up on jazz scales but as soon as I start a tune I know I sound terrible to me.

My neighbour and my wife said you sound ok, good even... I just started believing it when my 7 year old niece heard me and said I was pretty bad. My advice is always ask a small child for a honest answer.

My real problem I have learning saxophone is it's such a noisy instrument to learn and I hate anyone listening to me .

I don't think a child is ever going to give a different opinion of Jazz, or the saxophone. I think a small child is the last person to ask, listen to some of their music before you look for any more opinions from them, dire stuff - very little jazz!
    I know what you mean about the noise. I had an electric guitar and I was able to play it with headphones plugged into my amp thankfully.
    BrensBenz wrote: »
    Classical and acoustic guitar and (the much under-rated) ukulele. No singing!
    Chet Atkins best describes my musical education:

"I'm confessin' I never took a lesson,
    All these notes are a matter of guessin'"

When I first started to show promise on my £4-19-11 plywood guitar, my dad suggested lessons, but I declined. I got and still get tremendous satisfaction from hearing a tune I like, figuring out the chords myself and finding a key where I can play the chords and melody line together.

I mean no disrespect to trained musicians - I regularly stare at monitors to try and see HOW they do it and I would probably recommend "some" lessons to beginners. After all, "somebody" taught Shakespeare his grammar and spelling......!

I think it's sad to see so many instruments neglected and abandoned. I've heard many reasons for this but there is only one reason really: the amount of music trapped within and the desire to release it was outbalanced by the prospect of thousands of hours of practice, frustration / ecstasy and sore body parts.

Is a Ukulele like guitar lite? How much would I pay for one that sounded good and stayed in tune? The size is convenient and they do have a nice sound. I think someone else mentioned the Ukulele too.

The Ukulele seems pretty popular actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

I got an electric guitar and amp when I was about 15. 20 years later and I'm still making noise. I can play bits of songs, mostly Metallica and all from tabs online. I tend to get distracted and start playing a different song than learning a whole one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I've been trying to learn how to play the guitar for the last 3 years now. But every time I try, I just end up putting it away again and get a feeling of shame and self loathing from it. One day I will focus and try harder, but I can't even look at my guitar now without feeling bad, and then I just get angry and try to forget about it again. One day though, one day...... :(

BTW I strongly believe that everyone can play a musical instrument and really well. It's just finding the one that is meant for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Is a Ukulele like guitar lite? How much would I pay for one that sounded good and stayed in tune? The size is convenient and they do have a nice sound. I think someone else mentioned the Ukulele too.

I got my first for 20 euro, had no problems with it. Only stopped using when I got a larger concert ukulele.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I've been trying to learn how to play the guitar for the last 3 years now. But every time I try, I just end up putting it away again and get a feeling of shame and self loathing from it. One day I will focus and try harder, but I can't even look at my guitar now without feeling bad, and then I just get angry and try to forget about it again. One day though, one day...... :(

Trust me I feel like that very often. I found if I put the guitar away I'd leave it there. Now I leave it lying around and pick it up nearly every day. Just don't beat yourself up over it. I do a little woodturning as a hobby which can be taught professionally or self taught. I'm learning on my own and am doing the same as you are now. I can't remember how long it is since I used the lathe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I blow my own trumpet. cue slow clap. Followed by a sarcastic "bravo".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I gave up guitar and piano :( I was pretty good at them too. Probably my greatest regret. I want to pick up at least one of them again.

Make sure it's the guitar, it's way lighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Skeleton XIII

Playing guitar now around 14/15 years, but didn't really take it seriously for the first 4 or 5. I'm nothing special and I've never had any formal lessons.

But practicing up to 4 or 5 hours a day and jamming with other musicians made me improve a lot and learn to develop my own style. I'm quite good at making it look like I have a clue what I'm at when in reality I'm mainly winging it and just guessing. I could show you something but I couldn't for the life of me explain how I did it or what notes or chords I used.

I can play the vast majority of my favourite songs. Not really a tech head, wouldn't be too clued in as far as amps and pedals etc. are concerned.
    I just plug into my laptop and I'm happy enough. I use Cubase and a couple of guitar plug ins and they're deadly.

Used to be handy enough on the old drums but I haven't touched them in a few years, so I'd be rubbish now.

I'd recommend anyone have a go though. Being able to bash out one of your favourite songs and get it right is a great feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Started on the piano when I was about 6, then gradually picked up guitar, mandolin and banjo. I'll have a go at anything with strings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I haven't picked the thing up in years except maybe to see if I remember the fingering. Fingering is very important, as everyone knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Been playing acoustic guitar for about three years now on and off. Would love an electric guitar but no money atm. Its a hindrance when I mostly want to play fingerstyle stuff that is hard as hell to get down (michael hedges etc.) This is the best tune I can play

Not too complex but sounds so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Used to play piano but always found it quite boring, mostly because it was exam focused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I play bass and am quite good.

I took piano and violin lessons as a child but have forgotten a lot of it now. An ex bought me a beautiful Epiphone guitar many years ago and I promised myself I'd learn to play it. I didn't. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement