Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone play an instrument, or fail to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I play piano pretty well.

I play enough guitar that I could muddle my way through an acoustic gig.

I play a tiny bit of bass, sas and mandolin. But I'm really terrible at all three. :pac:

I sing a lot. Prefer singing to playing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Drummer, but don't get to practice that as much as I'd like anymore (stupid neighbors) so I picked up the guitar as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm a class A pianist, who can play Chopstick like a pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

For anyone interested in the ukelele, I saw this offer last night (1 day left):

http://www.grabonestore.ie/martin-smith-ukulele-9

I was thinking of adding it to my collection of Instruments Of The Damned but I probably shouldn't...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I've played guitar for years, started when I was 14. The best thing I've ever done. I played in a band for a good while, recorded a couple of albums, never went anywhere with it though. It was always just a hobby.

I can pass for a drummer, messed around with bass too. I've never had any lessons though so I don't have a clue about any of the technical side of things. Like the joke, how do you confuse a guitarist? Show him sheet music :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 feckin priests

I play the clarinet, great for pulling the bitches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I can play guitar but I have awful trouble remembering chords to songs and apparently have absolutely no ear for figuring out chords and how they form a song. I doesnt help that I am a crap singer.

Learned the basics from a few mates I lived with in college and everything else from either Justin Sandercoe (http://www.justinguitar.com/) or Marty Schwartz ( http://www.guitarjamz.com/) via their youtube channels. They have tonnes of really really good resources on their sites/channel so would recommend them highly to anyone starting out.
    I generally pick up the guitar once a day and throw a few chords together, to try and make something sound "nice" as the amount of songs I can remember is limited.
    I've an electric and fancy pedalboard thingy as well but haven't used that in a while.

It's defo something I wish I was more accomplished at but at the same time I know enough to be happy to strum away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I played drums for a good few years,was in two bands but I lost interest because I was working 60 hrs a wk In a high pressured job and was always just too tired to practice when I got home,my kit is in the attic rotting away :( I've been thinking of starting over again and getting lessons :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Bought a Violin -> took it out of the case -> Think it looks awesome -> Put it back in case -> Never picked it up again.

Anyone wanna buy it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

About two weeks ago I convinced myself that I want to play piano, so I went out and bought one of those electric keyboard/piano yokes and a 'teach yourself piano' books. Come back to me in six months time and I'll let ye know how she's going :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Bought an acoustic and an electric guitar 17 years ago - still can't play them! :(

I found that I could imitate and learn other people's stuff but seem to lack the creativity to make anything of my own.

Know a few scales and a load of chords but can't really do very much with any of it.

I do pick it up now and again and play about with some scales, but end up getting frustrated.

We also have an Alesis electronic drumkit in the house, the girlfriend is great with it but I haven't a notion.

I also have a really nice modded Gameboy for creating chiptune music but am fairly rubbish with that too.

piano cello singing
    Would love classical guitar too if I had time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

Bass guitar I have been playing it for about 22 years now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

kippy wrote: »
    I can play guitar but I have awful trouble remembering chords to songs and apparently have absolutely no ear for figuring out chords and how they form a song. I doesnt help that I am a crap singer.

Learned the basics from a few mates I lived with in college and everything else from either Justin Sandercoe (http://www.justinguitar.com/) or Marty Schwartz ( http://www.guitarjamz.com/) via their youtube channels. They have tonnes of really really good resources on their sites/channel so would recommend them highly to anyone starting out.
    I generally pick up the guitar once a day and throw a few chords together, to try and make something sound "nice" as the amount of songs I can remember is limited.
    I've an electric and fancy pedalboard thingy as well but haven't used that in a while.

It's defo something I wish I was more accomplished at but at the same time I know enough to be happy to strum away.

Learned loads from justinguitar.com too – spent one summer years ago learning a load of theory from that website. I plateaued after that, but that was a productive summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kaycee2

Have a guitar gathering dust in the attic, i had a few lessons b.c (before children) and then had another stab at it a few years ago trying to teach myself and as soon as I'd get it tuned and left it down for a minute the kids would turn the keys.

I'm gonna hold onto it though i really wanna be able to play just need to make the time for it.

• Advertisement

Kaycee2 wrote: »
    Have a guitar gathering dust in the attic, i had a few lessons b.c (before children) and then had another stab at it a few years ago trying to teach myself and as soon as I'd get it tuned and left it down for a minute the kids would turn the keys.

I'm gonna hold onto it though i really wanna be able to play just need to make the time for it.

Am hoping to give the option of playing it to my two young lads - with the aim that one or both of them become the next Bruce Springsteen or something = retirement plan for me.

I was sorry I hadn't had a chance to pick one up when I was younger to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Playing guitar since I was about 11, electric of course, and I've played bass since I was 16. Bass is absolutely incredible craic to play at a gig.

I've been told I'm class altogether, but IDK, I jam with some incredible musicians. I think I have a long way to go. What I am proud of is my ear, I can tune from my head and it's almost always perfect, I can learn a song just from memory, and if I'm listening to something new trying to figure it out it usually only takes a few seconds. I remember being absolutely amazed at my guitar teacher's ability to do this so effortlessly when I started off! I have absolutely no bother mimicing the exact rhythm of a piece either, and it really annoys me when people play something with the rhythm way off, haha :p:o There's only so many notes, but the rythmic possibilities are endless!

Despite this, I can't sing for ****, or play drums to save my life. I'd absolutely love to be able to drum, but I can't seem to.

Playing guitar since I was about 11, electric of course, and I've played bass since I was 16. Bass is absolutely incredible craic to play at a gig.

I've been told I'm class altogether, but IDK, I jam with some incredible musicians. I think I have a long way to go. What I am proud of is my ear, I can tune from my head and it's almost always perfect, I can learn a song just from memory, and if I'm listening to something new trying to figure it out it usually only takes a few seconds. I remember being absolutely amazed at my guitar teacher's ability to do this so effortlessly when I started off! I have absolutely no bother mimicing the exact rhythm of a piece either, and it really annoys me when people play something with the rhythm way off, haha :p:o There's only so many notes, but the rythmic possibilities are endless!

Despite this, I can't sing for ****, or play drums to save my life. I'd absolutely love to be able to drum, but I can't seem to.
    That's a great statement, "there are only some many notes/chords etc but the rhythmic possibilities are endless".
    That's my main issue at this point. I know lots of chords, bits and pieces and can play them, but when it comes to making it sound like the piece you are trying to cover I fall down - even trying to remember how basic three chord songs go I fall down on. I just dont think I have an ear for it.
    So that is my question I suppose - do you think this can be "learned" or do you think its something you just naturally have - but you might need some time to hone it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I'm trying guitar but studying takes up to much time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

That's a great statement, "there are only some many notes/chords etc but the rhythmic possibilities are endless".
    That's my main issue at this point. I know lots of chords, bits and pieces and can play them, but when it comes to making it sound like the piece you are trying to cover I fall down - even trying to remember how basic three chord songs go I fall down on. I just dont think I have an ear for it.
    So that is my question I suppose - do you think this can be "learned" or do you think its something you just naturally have - but you might need some time to hone it?

It can certainly be learned. Perhaps you do need, or rather it helps, to have a certain ear for it from the off, but the difference between my ability to pick up and play along to a song now, and say 5 years ago, is remarkable.

I always did my own interpretations of songs, and I do think that helps when it comes to varying things up, and that came naturally to me. But outside of that, I definitely think that the more you immerse yourself into it, by playing more music, transposing songs up and down to suit your voice, etc, then the better you invariably get. Or rather, the more honed your "'ear for it" becomes.

Also, if you asked me to play a simple arrangement of say, Am, C, G, and D, or something similar, the difference between how I can make that sound now, and what I could do before, is staggeringly apparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I bought a guitar about a month ago.
    I've learned 6 or 7 chords... But I just can't for the life of me make an song out of them as moving between them takes too long for me to keep my strum pattern.
    It's getting a bit disheartening now as I hoped to be able to play a few bits within a month or so.

Anyone any idea how long it usually takes to learn to move between chords at a decent enough speed?... I don't expect to be Hendrix or Slash, but I wanna at least sound "musical"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Got to grade 8 on Piano but lost all interest in it
    Played drums and was decent enough but they are kinda loud to practice and college kinda got in the way. Some day i'll het an electric set... someday....
    Tried guitar and can play bits of songs but meh, I can't sing (was told to mime in the school choir) so playing without singing is a downer

I've learned 6 or 7 chords... But I just can't for the life of me make an song out of them as moving between them takes too long for me to keep my strum pattern.
    It's getting a bit disheartening now as I hoped to be able to play a few bits within a month or so.

Anyone any idea how long it usually takes to learn to move between chords at a decent enough speed?... I don't expect to be Hendrix or Slash, but I wanna at least sound "musical"

Its quite tough at first. Been so long since I was at that stage, that I barely remember it now though, being honest.

However, I do remember just sitting for hours, going between say three chords at first, Em, D, G, or something similar, until my fingers were close to bleeding.

I found that continuing to strum even while I was changing the chords, helped get me over the hump. All it is, is practice. Finger numbing practice.

A month isn't that long at all, and being on 6 chords already would probably be decent progress (Anyone else able to chime in here?).

Stick with it. I certainly wouldn't be disheartened at being where you are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Love playing a bit of music :)

I play piano and I'm quite serious about it too. Hoping to go for a diploma in the next few years. My piano is like an oversized child to me. :)

Did a few grades on the flute years ago as well but only really play it now when the mood gets me.

I've a dusty guitar as well that gets played about twice a year. :pac:

I think it can be learned alright, I was absolutely awful when I started.

Metal and blues in particular are very very rhythm-heavy, and practicing triplet rhythms (the galloping, Iron-Maiden type sound) is a decent way to learn some control, because it's not easy at the start. I don't really have any tips in particular though, I suppose just practice the living ****e out of loads of different-sounding songs til you can nail many rhythms. I think I easily clock up 2 hours a day messing around on the guitar, even more when I was younger :eek:

I think it can be learned alright, I was absolutely awful when I started.

Metal and blues in particular are very very rhythm-heavy, and practicing triplet rhythms (the galloping, Iron-Maiden type sound) is a decent way to learn some control, because it's not easy at the start. I don't really have any tips in particular though, I suppose just practice the living ****e out of loads of different-sounding songs til you can nail many rhythms. I think I easily clock up 2 hours a day messing around on the guitar, even more when I was younger :eek:

Aye, there's no substitute for practice, really.

That's the biggest disadvantage I find in people who are trying to pick it up later on in life, than those who start when in school and can viably spend 20+ hours a week playing at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I used to be a pretty serviceable guitarist but I only ever break it out for the odd house party now, so most of my ability is gone sadly. I've a reasonably good set of pipes on me though, so I can still entertain when needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I play guitar, bass and a bit of keys, I am a mean box player but thats a different story also

Knex. wrote: »
    Aye, there's no substitute for practice, really.

That's the biggest disadvantage I find in people who are trying to pick it up later on in life, than those who start when in school and can viably spend 20+ hours a week playing at times.

Yeah, you really have to love it, and how it sounds, so you can just feck around for hours on end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Most of the time, watching a match that wouldnt involve my team, or a tv show or something I also have the guitar in hand, just strumming or plucking something random. It is something I would feel lost without and I have been ****ing around with one since I was about 11 but only got serious when I hit 20 so you can get into it a bit later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

I remember something like this at the beginning. It's one of the most disheartening stages of learning. As the above user said, what I did was take 3 or 4 chords, say A, D, C, G if you like, and just sit down and switch between them methodically without strumming, just making sure the fingering was right and then developing the muscle memory to switch through practice. With that down, then maybe strum C and make sure it sounds OK, then change and strum the next chord making sure it rings clear too. Baby steps but it's good to be solid with the basics.

Whatever you're trying to play, I know it helped me to play at half the regular speed starting off. It is a grind.

I remember this phase all right, probably one of the toughest parts when you're starting out.

The key for me getting past it was to stick to a rhythm at all costs. Tap it out with your feet, or use a metronome if it's easier, and change chord on every fourth beat. Strum anyway, even if you haven't completed the chord change. It won't sound great, but stay in the rhythm and keep at it and at it and your left hand will catch up eventually. Then you can gradually speed up the beat.

It stands to you later on too, because if you're playing a song for people / in public, it's always better to hit a bum note than to miss the beat. The latter is much more jarring and always sounds worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Took me 2 years.

You a fan of Red Hot Chili Peppers? Their songs are fantastic for both practising chords and getting some rhythm going, sound just as good on an acoustic as they do on electric as well. If you're a fan I'd really really suggest learning some of their stuff.

Helps that I'm a bit of a fanboy though :o

Also, find a metronome if you've difficulty keeping rhythm, they're so helpful.

MacBizzle wrote: »
    Took me 2 years.

You a fan of Red Hot Chili Peppers? Their songs are fantastic for both practising chords and getting some rhythm going, sound just as good on an acoustic as they do on electric as well. If you're a fan I'd really really suggest learning some of their stuff.

Helps that I'm a bit of a fanboy though :o

Also, find a metronome if you've difficulty keeping rhythm, they're so helpful.

The first song I ever learned to play was Scar Tissue. I've learned and forgotten a hundred songs since, but I can always play that no matter how out of practice I get. I must have practiced it for a hundred hours. :D

The first song I ever learned to play was Scar Tissue. I've learned and forgotten a hundred songs since, but I can always play that no matter how out of practice I get. I must have practiced it for a hundred hours. :D

I did Can't Stop for my Junior Cert practical, must have spent at least 400 hours practising it :o I can nearly play it in my sleep at this stage :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I've played trad flute and tin whistle since I was a nipper, always enjoyed it. I can read sheet music but I'm much faster just listening to a tune and playing it back. I play in a band now and we can all play by ear, it's extremely useful in that setting as is the ability to improvise.

I tried to learn the trumpet but only managed to make fart sounds. Swapped it for an alto sax and it's much more manageable (but boy is it is looouud).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Uke

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I got a guitar to learn metallica riffs and the like. Did so and gave up, still worth it at the time. Still have the guitar 10 years later, reminds me of good times even though I always mean to get rid of it. I love music but have no talent in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

My real problem I have learning saxophone is it's such a noisy instrument to learn and I hate anyone listening to me .

I did see a thing that looks like a maggot tho a few years ago , it's a case for saxophone and it's basically a mute , and a very good mute but you look stupid playing it .

http://youtu.be/UHBmOWP-X-w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Voice was my first instrument - I starred in school musicals before my voice broke from soprano choirboy to alto donkey. Electric bass has been my first instrument ever since, with some keyboards. Badly out of practice, though.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Is a Ukulele like guitar lite? How much would I pay for one that sounded good and stayed in tune? The size is convenient and they do have a nice sound. I think someone else mentioned the Ukulele too.

Well, a few guitar chord shapes and you're away. One word of warning though: a guitar "D" shape on a ukelele is actually "G" and so on. Mr. Google has lots of ukelele chord charts and better information.

I'm sorry but I have a "thing" about buying wooden instruments, i.e. ignore brands and price tags. Put it on your knee, play whatever you can manage and the right instrument will call to you!

My (first) uke, with a gig bag and free spare strings, cost about €120 four years ago in a little shop in Cork. It sounded better (to me) than instruments costing hundreds more. It has very little "jewelry" onboard but always brings a smile.

It holds tune reasonably well but, as with all wooden instruments, doesn't like moving from central heating to a car boot. It became VERY unhappy when it spent a few hours recently in cargo on a Boeing and then freaked out when it got a blast of the local climate! But then, my classical guitar "sulked" for over a week after a transatlantic trip......in cargo......on a Boeing!

bnt wrote: »
    Voice was my first instrument - I starred in school musicals before my voice broke from soprano choirboy to alto donkey. Electric bass has been my first instrument ever since, with some keyboards. Badly out of practice, though.

:D

I play clarinet, not as well as I will next year, but I do play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Have been playing electric bass for 16 years on and off, I like to think I'm reasonable acceptable at it.

Used to play the drums as well, took a load of lessons too. That was a long time ago though, I did my last gig on the drums ten years ago. I always said I would come back to them and this year I have, been practicing for the last 2-3 months. Dont have a kit though, so just working away on a practice pad and a kick pedal. Was practicing my Purdie shuffle today :)

The amount of information available, and its ease of access with the internet and all is fantastic, and I wish I had it all those years ago. There isn't any excuse for bad drummers these days.

Also spent two years playing a trumpet. Didnt get very good, but got up on stage a few times and had some laughs. Wont be going back to it though, didnt enjoy it as much as bass or drums. It did feel awesome in the hands though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

My first instrument was a violin. Gave up after one year (I was 7 when I started). Then played the recorder for a few years. Always wanted to learn how to play the piano and a guitar so I ended up with a ukulele... Only learning now.
    Sax players are cool. And I love the sound of a cello but due to my violin history I won't even go there.
    I sang in a choir for a few years as well. I don't think I'm great though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I think most people secretly play or want to play the ukulele.

• Advertisement

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I think most people secretly play or want to play the ukulele.

It's a dearly-held dream of mine anyway. :)

Ukulele or Spanish guitar, its a difficult decision.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I think most people secretly play or want to play the ukelele.

Not me, got one for Christmas and it's mank.

Anyone want a ukulele? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I've been playing the bass for nearly thirty years, well I say bass, I own and play a 1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Fireglo with chequered binding.

WHAT A FCUKIN' CACOPHONY IT MAKES.

Lemmy, Bruce Foxton, Geddy Lee, Geezer Butler, Roger Glover, I'm in good company.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=rickenbacker+fireglo+4001&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IuyfU8cIhI-QBcyagVA&ved=0CDQQ7Ak&biw=360&bih=615

MacBizzle wrote: »
    Not me, got one for Christmas and it's mank.

Anyone want a ukulele? :pac:

I'd offer to take it but we will only get in trouble. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

My real problem I have learning saxophone is it's such a noisy instrument to learn and I hate anyone listening to me .

I've been playing sax for about 16 years. Throughout secondary school I refused to practice at home knowing that other members of my family could hear me. It didn't help that they felt it ok to comment when they did. (I know they believed they were being supportive but I was super shy about my playing at the time) Even when they said I was sounding good was something I didn't want to hear as it just highlighted that they could hear all my mistakes, squeaks and honks.

Anyway, 3 years of playing in front of people at uni has made my shyness of practice a thing of the past. Remember, practice is for making all the mistakes so when you go to play a gig your playing is relaxed and comes naturally.
    I totally understand your issue but my advice would be to either find somewhere else you are comfortable practising in or just do it and get over your fear. I practice at home now and couldn't care less who hears me playing my diminished exercises or overtones/altissimo :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement