Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone play an instrument, or fail to?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I got piano lessons when I was 10, but hated it because fcuk beethoven. I wanted to play blur/oasis stuff. Bought a bass with my summer work money when i was 16.

Been in and out of bands since, but after stopping for about 4 years, I filled in on bass in a friends band and have been there 3 years now. Album recorded, gigs played, the lot.
    I remember this phase all right, probably one of the toughest parts when you're starting out.

The key for me getting past it was to stick to a rhythm at all costs. Tap it out with your feet, or use a metronome if it's easier, and change chord on every fourth beat. Strum anyway, even if you haven't completed the chord change. It won't sound great, but stay in the rhythm and keep at it and at it and your left hand will catch up eventually. Then you can gradually speed up the beat.

It stands to you later on too, because if you're playing a song for people / in public, it's always better to hit a bum note than to miss the beat. The latter is much more jarring and always sounds worse.

Excellent advice. I would recommend using both a metronome and tapping your foot. Tap your foot to the metronome and then play the guitar to your foot tap. Sounds stupid, but if you are concentrating too much on what your hands are doing, your foot might not keep rhythm. You can wean yourself off the metronome when you're confident you don't need it any more, but you should always, always, always tap your foot (or headbang).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have played the following instruments:

Bagpipes (10+ years)
    Tenor Saxophone (5+ Years)
    Drums (On and off for years)
    Guitar (Not too greatly but can play a few tunes)

I havent played any of them in a while tho and I would love to buy a Saxophone again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

I play bass and a little drums.

One man rhythm section!

Except that im also kind of learning the harmonica too.

Advertisement