Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Connection fee

Options
  • 15-06-2014 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Just bought a repossessed house...

Its probably disconnected from ESB, is there a reconnect ion fee?

I don't have to pay the old bill do I?..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

No you won't have to pay the old bill it goes with the previous owners. Reconnection is free as long as your putting the bill in your own name. Be careful though some suppliers insist you have an amount of credit built up on your first bill. Think of it as a deposit incase you stop paying your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Depends how long it has been disconnected, but standard reconnection is €70 + vat for less than 6 months.

For longer:> http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/restoring_a_connection.jsp

You are only liable from now, take not of the meter reading and give to the supplier you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Reconnection is a formality if the house has been disconnected less than six months and relatively easy until 24 months. After that it becomes a costly new connection process. A repossession should be well below that limit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Reconnection is a formality if the house has been disconnected less than six months and relatively easy until 24 months. After that it becomes a costly new connection process. A repossession should be well below that limit though.

I think its been empty for at least a year.

Any idea of the fee 6 months +?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Mine was greater than 6 months , less than 2 years . Cannot remember how expensive it was so it can't have been too bad - had to get an electrician to certify it 100 /150 prob

Edit , just checked .. Electrician was 80 +. Vat for 2 callouts

• Advertisement

househero wrote: »
    I think its been empty for at least a year.

Any idea of the fee 6 months +?
    Not off the top of my head. You need to get an inspection done by a registered electrical contractor but it should only be a modest fee. If there's any chance it's near the 24 month mark get on it straight away because you're looking at real money to get it sorted then.

Not off the top of my head. You need to get an inspection done by a registered electrical contractor but it should only be a modest fee. If there's any chance it's near the 24 month mark get on it straight away because you're looking at real money to get it sorted then.

Yea I was just looking at the requirements which are f retarded. Digging up the live feed. What's the time empty got to do with the cost involved!

Any idea of a 2 year + connection fee??? It may well be 27 months now :(

Yea I was just looking at the requirements which are f retarded. Digging up the live feed. What's the time empty got to do with the cost involved!

Any idea of a 2 year + connection fee??? It may well be 27 months now :(
    Get a cup of tea and sit down. You'll still need to get the registered electrical contractor to do the same inspection but then you'll have to go through the new connection process with planning permission documents, ordinance survey maps, site plans, a site check by ESB networks and possibly remedial works. Your electrical contractor will be able to get a quote but potentially in the €1000-2000 range and two to three weeks to get it all sorted.

I'm only familiar with the process through dealing with building works. Someone who does the work might be able to give more exact detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Get a cup of tea and sit down. You'll still need to get the registered electrical contractor to do the same inspection but then you'll have to go through the new connection process with planning permission documents, ordinance survey maps, site plans, a site check by ESB networks and possibly remedial works. Your electrical contractor will be able to get a quote but potentially in the €1000-2000 range and two to three weeks to get it all sorted.

I'm only familiar with the process through dealing with building works. Someone who does the work might be able to give more exact detail.

Found the fees list €1800 for ESB alone! There not doing anything!!! Poles there, consumer unit connected. What could have happened in 2 years that couldn't have happened in 6 months? Sickened.

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/commercial-downloads/ESB-networks-ltd-statement-of-charges.pdf

• Advertisement

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Quite a lot of people seem to be getting caught out by this with vacant/repossessed/unfinished houses and no one else involved in the sale wants to mention the elephant in the room.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Quite a lot of people seem to be getting caught out by this with vacant/repossessed/unfinished houses and no one else involved in the sale wants to mention the elephant in the room.

That's OK, really appreciate the info Lee Roy, better to know now I guess.

Really surprised that it costs the same to reconnect a house 2 years + disconnected house with no extra esb work... or install 3 poles and run the wire to a brand new house. That must be some kind of consumer con,

Any idea about water reconnect ion??? I hope I don't have to do this, but just in case GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL LAZIO!

Haha sorry distracted there

Actually, having the electricians and equipment to install those poles, do the wiring and having to deal with all the bureaucracy around it is expensive business, and one being provided by an organisation that's hardly known for keeping it's costs down. People reconnecting houses where almost no additional work is needed are really seeing the bad side of the averaged costs.

Any idea about water reconnect ion??? I hope I don't have to do this, but just in case GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL LAZIO!

Haha sorry distracted there
    Water should be fine. The original connection fees (and development contributions if applicable) should stand and so long as water flows once the stop cock is opened then you shouldn't have any extra costs there.

Actually, having the electricians and equipment to install those poles, do the wiring and having to deal with all the bureaucracy around it is expensive business, and one being provided by an organisation that's hardly known for keeping it's costs down. People reconnecting houses where almost no additional work is needed are really seeing the bad side of the averaged costs.

If im being charged for up to 3 poles, thats what i expect... Might chop the old poles down as fire wood. Get my monies worth hahaha.

The house has been empty for 27 months, I'm still hoping it wasn't disconnected straight away ... can I just call ESB and check?

If you ring any of the electricity providers with the mprn they should tell you

Yeah. Just get the MPRN (Meter Point Reference Number) from the house and ring a supplier about connecting. They'll tell you what your situation is. Fingers crossed.

If you ring any of the electricity providers with the mprn they should tell you

I don't have the MPRN. Its repossessed... in fact it doesn't have radiators, boiler, tank or doors hahaha.

I don't have the MPRN. Its repossessed... in fact it doesn't have radiators, boiler, tank or doors hahaha.

Open the meter box . Prob written inside it,,, or using the address might work .

• Advertisement

Thanks. This looks like a nightmare in waiting.

I know the old owners name, as its a country house, the address is vague...

House
    In a field
    opposite another field
    no postcode
    Ireland

Thanks. This looks like a nightmare in waiting.

I know the old owners name, as its a country house, the address is vague...

House
    In a field
    opposite another field
    no postcode
    Ireland

Mine was similar ... And a bank sale too ,, but it was written down inside the meter box ... Mind you ; I checked all this before buying. !!! And it was still a nightmare !!

Mine was similar ... And a bank sale too ,, but it was written down inside the meter box ... Mind you ; I checked all this before buying. !!! And it was still a nightmare !!

Haha. Filling me full of confidence :-)

Thanks for the help Citizen. We haven't exchanged contracts yet (next week) I'm trying to do a full costings... lots of unexpected hidden costs on this 'bargain'

Haha. Filling me full of confidence :-)

Thanks for the help Citizen. We haven't exchanged contracts yet (next week) I'm trying to do a full costings... lots of unexpected hidden costs on this 'bargain'

Get a decent engineer to survey it ..

Check that sewer pipes don't have lots of rod marks

Make sure council contribution was paid

Make sure it's built according to the plans approved. .. Planing apps are usually available online

Maybe pay a visit to the construction forum

You'll be grand !

Get a decent engineer to survey it ..

Check that sewer pipes don't have lots of rod marks

Make sure council contribution was paid

Make sure it's built according to the plans approved. .. Planing apps are usually available online

Maybe pay a visit to the construction forum

You'll be grand !

Haha more like it. Thanks.

Bloke living in it only lasted a few months before living somewhere with err less freedom. House next door is identical, looks spot in, nice neighbors, no problems. One of the few not repo'd from a developer. What council contribution???

when granting a planning permission there are usually conditions requiring the payment of a contribution.
    This contribution is for public infrastructure and facilities in the area of the planning authority

you should be able to see if it was paid online in the co co planning website

when granting a planning permission there are usually conditions requiring the payment of a contribution.
    This contribution is for public infrastructure and facilities in the area of the planning authority

I reckon that one will be all right, as its already been sold to a private individual before me...unless he had a muppet of a solicitor.

Nearly 10,000 unpaid (sickened)

Does that mean I'm supposed to pay?

There's a lot of ongoing issues with this due to bankrupt developers who never paid the levies before selling the houses. The outstanding total is over €500m nationally. I'm not going to claim any expertise in the area but I will say that County Councils have been trying to take actions against homeowners but that the transferability of the levies as part of a house sale may still be untested legally. The development levies will have been a condition of planning condition so the Council may argue that your house has no planning if they haven't been paid (regardless of who should have paid them) and subject you to an enforcement notice. Get some good legal advice fast.

• Advertisement

You havnt signed contracts ? Go talk to your solicitor ! Try and renotiate

Advertisement