Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Soccer forum

Options
  • 16-06-2014 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭

Mickeroo wrote:
    Start a DRP if you want.
    Mickeroo wrote:
    I'm sure I don't need to spell out that saying someone is trolling is the same as calling them a troll. You already got a card for telling the same poster to stfu, you don't have a leg to stand on here as far as I can see.

How exactly does one yellow card have a bearing on another? Surely each incident should be based on its own merit?

The leg I have to stand on is that you carded me for something I didn't do.

A poster in the soccer forum suggested that people were "bullying" Andersonisgod because he was different. I quoted this person....not Andersonisgod.....and suggested he was being picked on because he trolls people and is allowed to do so......not because he is different.

The comment was directed at the person I quoted, not Andersonisgod.

If I wanted to call him a troll, I would have done so and accepted a ban. I didn't do that. I was giving an opinion on why people take issue with him. That is not that same thing.

You can read the thread for yourself if you don't believe me. I would link the thread, but I obviously do not have access to it.

Edit. Here it is. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057230936&page=24

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So let me get this right - you were stating that the poster you mentioned was
    trolling and he gets away with it
    That's a pretty clear case of back-seat modding to me. It does not matter which user it is aimed at. If you wish to "accuse" anyone of trolling do it through the "report post" function

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Beasty wrote: »
    So let me get this right - you were stating that the poster you mentioned was
    That's a pretty clear case of back-seat modding to me. It does not matter which user it is aimed at. If you wish to "accuse" anyone of trolling do it through the "report post" function

So a case of back seat modding warrants a one month ban? Seriously. Thats the entire world cup.

you guys opened up the soccer forum to the public and implemented a temporary two strike system. Surely the purpose of this was to stop new posters disrupting things.....not banning regular posters of the soccer forum. If this was business as usual (which if you actually read the sticky on the soccer forum alot of posters think it SHOULD be) than nobody would be losing soccer access over something like this.

Ive been posting on boards since 05 and have never had account issues. A one month ban seems ridiculous surely?? People in other forums are getting alot less for ALOT more. Can we not apply some common sense here?

Come on man....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kirby wrote: »
    So a case of back seat modding warrants a one month ban? Seriously. Thats the entire world cup.

you guys opened up the soccer forum to the public and implemented a temporary two strike system. Surely the purpose of this was to stop new posters disrupting things.....not banning regular posters of the soccer forum.

Ive been posting on boards since 05 and have never had account issues. A one month ban seems ridiculous surely?? People in other forums are getting alot less for ALOT more.

Come on man....
    Your backseat modding warranted a yellow card. The fact you picked up 2 yellow cards in quick succession results in an automatic one month ban under the temporary forum rules during the World Cup.

I would add that to suggest you have not had any account issues is pushing it a bit. By my reckoning that's now 6 yellows in the Soccer forum in the course of just over 2,300 posts. Clearly there are plenty with a far worse record than that, but your own is certainly not unblemished, and if you have been posting on the site for so long you should fully understand that you could expect cards in both instances here.

I would add though that even if the new banning process for the World Cup had not been introduced you would have been facing ban under the normal forum rules under the totting up process.

Those temporary rules are not for discussion here. I am upholding the card and the 1 month ban follows automatically

You may of course ask an Admin to review this decision

Does "back seat modding" warrant a yellow card and a one month ban? Does it not warrant an in thread warning or a pm like I've seen on other occasions? Why so heavy handed?

And I wouldn't be facing a ban under normal circumstances. The two strike rule is new.

And you are being disingenuous about my record. Over the course of six years, I picked up 4 warnings. That's it. You can go through my posts or talk to people who know me. I'm not abusive, and I contribute to discussion. I've had 2 yellow cards since the forum was opened up recently. I apologised for my last one but this one is ridiculous.

There's a lad in here who got three days for a racist comment and I'm getting killed for a month of suggesting the reason Andersonisgod gets picked on is because he trolls? Where is the balance here?

One month misses the entire world cup and I don't feel its warranted for whats gone on.

To be honest, I don't feel I'm getting a fair shake here due to discussions I've had with the soccer mods in the past. I'd rather have an admin who doesn't know me and doesn't disagree with my opinions as much as the soccer mods do, look at this objectively.

I would add though that even if the new banning process for the World Cup had not been introduced you would have been facing ban under the normal forum rules under the totting up process.

This is wildly untrue. I would not be facing a ban.

It takes 4 yellow cards to earn a one month ban under normal circumstances and the "totting up" process does not include yellow cards from several years ago as they are expired. This is explained in the forum charter. I haven't had one in years.

I want to re-iterate in case I wasn't clear enough in my earlier post, that yes I would like this looked at by an Admin.

• Advertisement

This is wildly untrue. I would not be facing a ban.
    You would have been facing a 2 week ban for the 3 cards you have accumulated - now that could have been over an 11 month period. Last season you would have had a one week ban for 2 yellow plus another 2 weeks for your third again those could be picked up over the whole season. In this case you picked up 2 yellows in less than 4 days when it was absolutely clear that the rules had been changed and you were warned by the mod after your first yellow
    That's one yellow, another one in this tournament and you get a ban for the rest of the world cup. Please post carefully.

Does "back seat modding" warrant a yellow card and a one month ban? Does it not warrant an in thread warning or a pm like I've seen on other occasions? Why so heavy handed?
    Yes it warrants a yellow - your overall record in the forum warrants a ban under the temporary World Cup charter
    And you are being disingenuous about my record. Over the course of six years, I picked up 4 warnings. That's it. You can go through my posts or talk to people who know me. I'm not abusive, and I contribute to discussion. I've had 2 yellow cards since the forum was opened up recently. I apologised for my last one but this one is ridiculous.
    Any Admin can look at your record and see quite clearly the 6 cards you have picked up

Could an Admin please review this

You would have been facing a 2 week ban for the 3 cards you have accumulated - now that could have been over an 11 month period.

A two week ban is not a one month ban. And furthermore the one from last year is expired. It says so on my profile.

And I stand by what I said. A one month ban for suggesting another user gets hassle because he trolls is completely crazy.
    Any Admin can look at your record and see quite clearly the 6 cards you have picked up

Again, any admin could look at my posting history, my manner, and the 4 cards I picked up over six years of posting in the soccer forum. This is a divisive, combative forum. You are a category mod in there....you know what goes on. Frankly I consider myself a decent member of the forum and my record proves that.

I don't feel discussing this with you is fruitful. You have already stated your opinion that you feel I deserve to be banned and I have stated mine.

I'd like another impartial opinion please.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

From the Soccer forum charter:
    Examples of back-seat modding include:
    • Calling someone a troll
    The excuse that "I didn't call him a troll, I just said he was trolling" doesn't work outside a playground.

From the temporary World Cup charter:
    ...for the length of the World Cup, if you pick up 2 yellows or 1 Red, you'll be banned for a month (the length of the World Cup).

Given the fact that you were clearly told that another yellow would get you banned for the duration of the tournament, and given that the post for which you got the yellow card is in clear breach of the forum charter, I'm not seeing a reason to overturn the ban.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement