Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little bit angry.....

Options
  • 16-06-2014 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I do enjoy a browse on Facebook from time to time, just a quick look to check how everyone back home is doing. It's one of my few choices when it comes to keeping in touch with everyone, as I moved away from Ireland and all of my family and friends are only a click away if I ever need them.

I'm not one for piutting too much information on my profile. My account only has a few pictures, very restricted information about my new location, and relationship, and I don't usually post comments, unless it's important.

2 days ago I logged onto my account and noticed that an old friend from school had posted a comment on my profile saying "I passed your house (stating the exact location) the last day when I was out and I remember when I was there, or something along the lines of that.

It anoyed me for a lot of different reasons.......

Firstly, I have about 300 friends on my account and I don't want such information to be made public.

Secondly, I havn't lived in Ireland permantly since 2011, and I don't want people knowing where my parents live.

Thirdly, I find social media to be extremely dangerous and I don't like such detailed information being portrayed on my profile, especially with people that I havn't seen or heard from for six or seven years.

I deleted the comment within a day of it being visible on my account.

I don't want to cause a fight with this girl. I'm willing to let it be and I'm not sure if she knew how much it would bug me. Maybe she does things differently on her account, but I don't. Some people post absolutely everthing online, maybe some people posting five or six comments a day.

Should I send her a message and be like wtf?

What would you do in this situation and would you like someone posting such inforation on your wall, or has anything similiar ever happened to you?

Do you agree that social media can be dangerous at the best of times?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just delete it and let it be. No need to get upset, it wasn't posted maliciously.
    If you find social media to be "dangerous" perhaps look into your privacy settings
    https://www.facebook.com/help/115469971891543 or reconsider having a FB account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    I do enjoy a browse on Facebook from time to time, just a quick look to check how everyone back home is doing. It's one of my few choices when it comes to keeping in touch with everyone, as I moved away from Ireland and all of my family and friends are only a click away if I ever need them.

I'm not one for piutting too much information on my profile. My account only has a few pictures, very restricted information about my new location, and relationship, and I don't usually post comments, unless it's important.

2 days ago I logged onto my account and noticed that an old friend from school had posted a comment on my profile saying "I passed your house (stating the exact location) the last day when I was out and I remember when I was there, or something along the lines of that.

It anoyed me for a lot of different reasons.......

Firstly, I have about 300 friends on my account and I don't want such information to be made public.

Secondly, I havn't lived in Ireland permantly since 2011, and I don't want people knowing where my parents live.

Thirdly, I find social media to be extremely dangerous and I don't like such detailed information being portrayed on my profile, especially with people that I havn't seen or heard from for six or seven years.

I deleted the comment within a day of it being visible on my account.

I don't want to cause a fight with this girl. I'm willing to let it be and I'm not sure if she knew how much it would bug me. Maybe she does things differently on her account, but I don't. Some people post absolutely everthing online, maybe some people posting five or six comments a day.

Should I send her a message and be like wtf?

What would you do in this situation and would you like someone posting such inforation on your wall, or has anything similiar ever happened to you?

Do you agree that social media can be dangerous at the best of times?

You're on facebook, you are friends with her.
    You are friends with other people, so you can assume she knows as many others might do where you live.

You have setting options on Facebook....whereby you can APPROVE comments and posts before they are shown on your page or stop letting people post on it altogether.

You should accept that this is part of Facebook, and especially having 300 friends. This is the same with Twitter and every other social Media.

If you really wanted, going by my post history and name , you could probably find out everything you wanted to know about me through linking accounts etc.

Advertisement