Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ebook reader: do any retailers permit testing before buying?

• 16-06-2014 6:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I want an ebook reader. I don't want to buy online,
    because usability is very important to me, and that's
    difficult to assess using only web pages. Is there any
    retailer, preferably in Dublin city centre or the vicinity
    of Dun Laoghaire, that would let me take an ebook reader
    out of the box and use it for 10-15 minutes before deciding
    whether to buy? I particularly want to test (A) putting
    a book on the reader and (B) reading that book.

In short, I want a retailer with a "try before you buy"
    policy. However, a no-quibble returns policy would be
    just as good.

In case it matters: I am definitely not buying a Kindle,
    and I have the impression that the Kobo Glo eReader would
    be a suitable product for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭DizzyDamsel

Why don't you download the kindle app, it's free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Dilisk

I have nothing to run it on -- that's one reason.
    (I have neither tablet nor smartphone.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

My local tesco often has a working display model near the DVDs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Dilisk wrote: »
    I have nothing to run it on -- that's one reason.
    (I have neither tablet nor smartphone.)

Get a tablet? Not being smart, I use my tablet as an eBook reader and tablet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There should be display models plugged in in various stores so that you can have a look at the way they work.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Get a tablet? Not being smart, I use my tablet as an eBook reader and tablet.

Tablets are OK for doing certain things on, but if I want to do some actual reading of a book then the ebook reader is far better experience, easier to read in more light conditions, longer battery life and lighter to hold for long periods. Also you don't get the same distractions on an ebook reader when someone sends you an email or other message.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

robinph wrote: »
    There should be display models plugged in in various stores so that you can have a look at the way they work.

Tablets are OK for doing certain things on, but if I want to do some actual reading of a book then the ebook reader is far better experience, easier to read in more light conditions, longer battery life and lighter to hold for long periods. Also you don't get the same distractions on an ebook reader when someone sends you an email or other message.

I own both. my ereader gathers dust. I must respectfully disagree.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Saipanne wrote: »
    I own both. my ereader gathers dust. I must respectfully disagree.

Which is why the OP needs to have a look at them in person. Depends on how you use the devices, but I'd not attempt to do any reading of a novel on the tablet. Wouldn't be comfortable on the hands holding the tablet, changing pages or on the eyes.

However if looking at pdf files for instance then a tablet may be better depending on their formatting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

CeX have some used Kindles and other E Readers in Liffey Street sure they will let you see them before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

PC World in Blanch have a load of different ones on display. I don't know where they have a store near to you.

I really like the Kobo ones and the ones with buttons rather than touch. But the kindle system is hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Dilisk

Dilisk wrote: »
    Is there any
    retailer, preferably in Dublin city centre or the vicinity
    of Dun Laoghaire, that would let me take an ebook reader
    out of the box and use it for 10-15 minutes before deciding
    whether to buy?

Answering my own question: a number of Eason branches
    (listed on their website) have Kobo ebook readers
    that customers can experiment with. The O'Connell Street
    branch (in Dublin) is one such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Any time I've been in easons they've had really old models on display, ones they no longer sell. They have new ones behind the counter in Blanch. Maybe they are on display elsewhere.

Basically make sure they are current models on display.

Advertisement