Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelie bin full of rubble stolen from back garden

• 16-06-2014 8:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

Just as the title describes. There was an old wheelie bin, probably from a previous tenant. It was full of rocks and pebbles. Weighed many many kilos. The other day we noticed it missing from the back garden and fresh tracks from where it had been moved.

Also damage to the lock on the shed and damage to the lid of another wheelie bin, looks like someone stood on it, perhaps to look through upstairs windows.

Obviously someone must have had a van and put the effort to remove the bin, what possible use they would have for it I do not know.

Bit freaked out now, was looking at getting security cameras installed but apparently nothing deters them. Had a chat with a guard and she said that basically all you can do is hide everything away downstairs, perhaps leave a radio on in the kitchen... If they want to get in they will.

In the north circular road area of the city by the way.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Maybe they wanted it to load stuff into. Wheelie bins are usually nicked for burning. Can't see that they came in looking for yours. Your house doesn't have to be fort knox, just look more hassle to break into than your neighbours.

I would think that cctv would be some deterrent, and you don't need to break the bank doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Maybe there was something more than rubble at the bottom of the bin?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You could get two cctv cameras on eBay and connect them to nothing. In the future you could connect them up so they would still be a deterrent.

I would randomise how you leave the house. Don't leave it all tidy when you have left for left. If the only time the house is tidy is when you have left then it makes you an easy target.

I would be interested to see what the wheelly bin would be used for. At leaat since you have reported to the Gardaí they might know if it has been used to rob a neighbour etc.

It seems like a lot of hassle to steal a bin full of pebbles. If you wanted a bin there are much easier ways to get it. And pebbles aren't exactly the most valuable things in a back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

two rubbish bins stolen from a family member on wedensday last, they were stolen after the weekly collection was over, it was a large yellow truck with a roll down door, there were two letters printed on its side, i forget what they were, the company were informed, they promised to replace them, but to date they have not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

MarkR wrote: »
    Maybe they wanted it to load stuff into.
    That might make sense if it wasn't filled with about 50kg of pebbles glass and rocks.
    juneg wrote: »
    Maybe there was something more than rubble at the bottom of the bin?

Maybe, but I don't think so.
    Mr. G wrote: »
    You could get two cctv cameras on eBay and connect them to nothing. In the future you could connect them up so they would still be a deterrent.
    Yeah, thinking about doing something like this.
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It seems like a lot of hassle to steal a bin full of pebbles. If you wanted a bin there are much easier ways to get it. And pebbles aren't exactly the most valuable things in a back garden.
    Yes, totally.. Plus the fact that there were other bins that were nearly empty and weren't taken. They just took the old mr binman one.
    flutered wrote: »
    two rubbish bins stolen from a family member on wedensday last, they were stolen after the weekly collection was over, it was a large yellow truck with a roll down door, there were two letters printed on its side, i forget what they were, the company were informed, they promised to replace them, but to date they have not.
    Very interesting... Where are they based?

• Advertisement

outside knocklong, the trash was collected at 10:15 am, the bins were collected/taken at 10:30, btw they are being replaced today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

<snip>

Mod Edit: Comment deleted as it would not help the conversation given that it could encourage sweeping generalisations and also could inspire accusations of guilt without proof.

the logo on the side of the truck is said to be t and t, it went south towards mitchelstown, it was seen in the afternoon in kilfinnane, in the late afternoon it was again seen heading north towards limerick, the bin company claim that the number of bins been stolen is quite high, they said who is taking them, but as the tekers are a protected species here on boards, i would either get an infaction or a ban, hell i have quite a number of them already, but who likes the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

For those wondering what my comment said.
    I will reword it and hopefully Kess will leave it this time considering that it is certainly of general interest thos residents in the areas mentioned.

So, recently, while speaking to a builder in the area previously mentioned - NCR, two men approached in a van and were obviously (to me anyway) not living in or from the area. In fact, these types of men tend to live in a different type of accommodation facility altogether. Now the reason this struck me as odd, was because there are none of these types of accomodation units for sale/ rent either occupied or vacant in NCR area of Limerick so it was odd enough that in the context of the OP displaying concern that they were worried that an outside party had disturbed bins etc in the area, I merely commented that I too (although perhaps not the same people involved) had noticed unusual people in and around the area.
    The van that I noticed, may have been the same van, but I did not see or pay attention to any branding or writing on the side of it.

Is that post ok to make?
    A reasonable man would certainly say that there could be a link between the two posts - mine and the OP

Advertisement