Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with pyrite removal experience?

Options
  • 16-06-2014 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here been in the unfortunate position of having pryite confirmed in their homes and has gone through the procedure to have it removed?

Can you tell me what the actual remediation works are like as I'm still a little unclear on how it is done. I know that the foundations have to be dug up and the infill replaced. But what about the internal walls on the ground floor, are they knocked down or are supports put in place to hold them up? How long did the work take and was the house restored to a satisfactory condition?

If you had remediation work done did the Pyriteboard cover the work or did you have to pay for it yourself? I know nothing about construction so when I see quotes for €60,000 for pyrite removal it seems incredibly high to me.

I'm just asking because it looks like the Pyriteboard will reject our application because we are not showing enough signs of damage yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you had remediation work done did the Pyriteboard cover the work or did you have to pay for it yourself? I know nothing about construction so when I see quotes for €60,000 for pyrite removal it seems incredibly high to me.

I haven't done one myself but I have had it explained to me.

The bottom floor of your house is ripped apart. The floorboards and joists are removed. In most cases the kitchen goes as well. If they can, a hole is put in the front wall to bring a mini-digger inside. The foundations are exposed, small sections are supported, removed and replaced. Collateral damage from the house shifting is to be expected to both your house and any houses attached. Its a horrible job.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm just asking because it looks like the Pyriteboard will reject our application because we are not showing enough signs of damage yet.
    How do you know? Did you get a pro to look, or did you look yourself? If the latter, get a pro (who has experience in Pyrite and knows what to look for), and have him assist you fill out the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

the_syco wrote: »
    How do you know? Did you get a pro to look, or did you look yourself? If the latter, get a pro (who has experience in Pyrite and knows what to look for), and have him assist you fill out the application.

We had the full suite of tests done. An engineer came out to do the Building Condition Assessment and the house shows no sign of damage. The core sample tests show that there is a high level of pyrite present.

Advertisement