Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance - how does it work?

Options
  • 16-06-2014 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Was wondering if I could get some guidance.
    My finance is moving to Dublin and renting out her house in Limerick from August.
    She has no problem with getting a rent allowance tenant but we have no idea how the system works from the landlord's perspective.
    From doing research the onus mostly seems to be on the tenant with the landlord only having to sign some forms.
    Just some queries:
    I see there's a max limit of €375-400 in Limerick (assuming no kids). Given her market rent is €650-700 those that mean that Rent Allowance is not an option?
    How does the monthly payment of rent work?
    Is there a minimum lease length for Rental Allowance tenants?

I see also that we'd have to register with the PRTB also in any event.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Was wondering if I could get some guidance.
    My finance is moving to Dublin and renting out her house in Limerick from August.
    She has no problem with getting a rent allowance tenant but we have no idea how the system works from the landlord's perspective.
    From doing research the onus mostly seems to be on the tenant with the landlord only having to sign some forms.
    Just some queries:
    I see there's a max limit of €375-400 in Limerick (assuming no kids). Given her market rent is €650-700 those that mean that Rent Allowance is not an option?
    How does the monthly payment of rent work?
    Is there a minimum lease length for Rental Allowance tenants?

I see also that we'd have to register with the PRTB also in any event.
    Thanks.

The best thing for your fiancée is to rent to working people who can afford the rent. It is illegal for rent allowance applicants to top-up the rent from their own pocket as it shows that the house is above their means. also any issue with the rent allowance applicants dole or other social welfare payment and the rent allowance is stopped immediately and tenant has to start from scratch to reapply for it and get all forms signed again by your fiancée.

Advertisement