Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany Vs Portugal 5pm (RTE/BBC/ITV) Group G

• 16-06-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

germanyportugal.png

Germany Vs Portugal
    Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador
    Kick-off
    : 17.00 BST.
    TV: RTE/ITV/BBC.

Germany (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Neuer; Boateng, Hummels, Mertesacker, Hoewedes; Khedira, Lahm; Kroos, Özil, Schurrle; Müller.
    Test: Neuer (shoulder).

Portugal (Possible, 4-3-3): Patricio; Pereira, Pepe, Alves, Coentrao; Veloso, Moutinho, Meireles; Ronaldo, Almeida, Varela.
    Test: Ronaldo (knee).

Referee: Milorad Mazic (Serbia).

No build up needed here, the balanced Germans take on the Balon D'or winners Portugal. The Portugese reliance on Ronaldo may hamper their ambitions as he appeared to be injured after withdrawing from training, but Portugal manager Paulo Bento has assured fans that Ronaldo will start.

As for the Germans, will their direct brand of football see them remedy 18 years without a trophy? First obstacle, Portugal.

Random Match Facts:
    • Germany’s opening game at the 2014 World Cup against Portugal will be their 100th in the competition, they are the first team to reach that tally in the competition.
    • Germany have only lost one of their last 18 games in the group stages of the World Cup, it was against Serbia on 18 June 2010 (0-1), winning 13 and drawing four.
    • Portugal have lost their two games in the World Cup against their opponents in Group G: USA in 2002 and Germany in 2006.
    • Cristiano Ronaldo has scored two goals from a total of 48 shots at the World Cup.
    • Portugal have only won three of their 17 previous internationals against Germany (D5 L9), losing their last three at major tournaments (World Cup 2006, Euro 2012 and Euro 2008).
    • Miroslav Klose currently has 14 World Cup goals – only Brazilian star Ronaldo has more (15).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Hopefully Portugal can win this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hoping the Germans can do it, should be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

Germany to win 1-0,Just to much talent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Germany ready to outmuscle Portugal.

BqPXn5BCAAAntwC.png:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

I can see Portugal sitting back and allowing Germany to dictate the pace of the game, then trying to move the ball quickly on the counter attack. The Portuguese defense has 2 champions league winners in it, so they should have a certain degree of confidence that they can hold the Germans at bay for the first half, while they try to hit on the counter.

If they try to meet the Germans in "open battle" I would back Germany. The lines the Germans work in going forward is like a Blitzkreig. Pace, movement, class, finishing, and decision making are areas of Germany's game they excel in. They have a wealth of players they can rely on for something special.

All this said, I have Germany to win from behind backed @ 25-1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Stupid 5 pm kick off :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If Ronaldo is 100%, I really fancy the Portuguese to turn over the Germans here. It's going to be a cracking game. Very surprised they have this one kicking off at 5 with Iran-Nigeria on at 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just for anyone who is confussed - ITV are showing this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Stupid 5 pm kick off :(

Working from home has a lot of benefits :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

SantryRed wrote: »
    If Ronaldo is 100%, I really fancy the Portuguese to turn over the Germans here. It's going to be a cracking game. Very surprised they have this one kicking off at 5 with Iran-Nigeria on at 8.

Times and Days for each group were arranged long before the draw was made, so They cant just start changing around times for people that watch the games.

When an English team or Celtic face a German team in Europa League over past few years, German TV has always had the game kicking off at 6pm (even when its in the UK) so it must be the usuall time they have TV games in Germany, although that last bit is irrelevant, thought id throw it in

Fancy Portugal here myself, Strong at the back and have Ronaldo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

s.welstead wrote: »
    Working from home has a lot of benefits :D

I'd get banned if I said what I feel about you know......

:(

I think this will be a draw. 1-1 or 2-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Fancy Portugal here myself, Strong at the back and have Ronaldo

Did you just write off Germany? You can't do that mate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

keith16 wrote: »
    Did you just write off Germany? You can't do that mate.

Well if I fancy Portugal to win the game, I never mentioned Germany, I just said I feel Portugal are strong at the back (i.e they can keep top teams out) and have a matchwinner of all matchwinners further up the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I happen to be at home today so it is a pleasant surprise that there will be a decent game on today at 5

I will be shouting for the Germans as I have friends there and love the place but I don't expect it to be easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Any team news yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

"When an English team or Celtic face a German team in Europa League over past few years, German TV has always had the game kicking off at 6pm (even when its in the UK) so it must be the usuall time they have TV games in Germany, although that last bit is irrelevant, thought id throw it in"

Europa league - what is this you talk of young man :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

kfallon wrote: »
    Any team news yet?

Patricio, Alves, Pepe, Veloso, Coentrao, Ronaldo, Moutinho, Almeida, Meireles, Nani, Pereira.

Neuer, Boateng, Hummels, Mertesacker, Howedes, Khedira, Lahm, Kroos, Ozil, Muller, Gotze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

I'm disappointed Schurrle isn't starting, he really should be considering Reus is absent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Patricio, Alves, Pepe, Veloso, Coentrao, Ronaldo, Moutinho, Almeida, Meireles, Nani, Pereira.

Neuer, Boateng, Hummels, Mertesacker, Howedes, Khedira, Lahm, Kroos, Ozil, Muller, Gotze

For some reason, I'm beginning to look at that Portuguese team and thinking they could do a job on the Germans...Up until now it was a German win for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

What's up with the German back 4 of all centre backs? The team looks a bit disjoined in general. I'm interested to see how they play, they looked like poo against Cameroon a week or so ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Suprised not to see Klose. Looks very defensive from the Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

I don't really get this Lahm in centre midfield thing.
    He's a world class full back, why not just play him in his best position? It's also forcing other players out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Germany going for 5-2-3 maybe? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Klose needs one goal to equal Ronaldo's World Cup total. Hope he gets a chance to do it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Aenaes wrote: »
    Germany going for 5-2-3 maybe? :D

5-5-0

Hope Klose gets on and gets his goal (or two). But the manager could be keeping him back for the "weaker" teams.

Looks like a tight diamond in midfield with

----DMF-
    -CM- -CM-
    ----AMC-
    -ST- -ST-

This makes me sad. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Serious lack of pace/width in the German starting 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I don't really get this Lahm in centre midfield thing.
    He's a world class full back, why not just play him in his best position? It's also forcing other players out of position.

I think Lowe, and Guadiola know more about his best position then us mate. They both think it should be CDM now :pac:

• Advertisement

I thought Klose and Schurrle would start ahead of Gotze and Khedira.

IK09 wrote: »
    Looks like a tight diamond in midfield with

----DMF-
    -CM- -CM-
    ---- -AMC-
    -ST- -ST-

This makes me sad. :(

It'll be
    Khedira
    Lahm Kroos
    Muller Ozil Gotze
    I bet

Muller is the big game player and I'll not be surprised to see him score.

Ronaldo likewise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Hmm really need this to be over 2.5 goals but looking at that German team I think it could be a low scoring game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That Germany team is so narrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I think Lowe, and Guadiola know more about his best position then us mate. They both think it should be CDM now :pac:

Additional problem for Loew is that Schweinsteiger and Khedira have been out for long spells last season and little game practice. So he doesn't want to risk to pair them together at this point. Bringing Lahm is a much better option. He has been looking very good in the last few games in this position.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    Serious lack of pace/width in the German starting 11

Going to try control the game, possession football I reckon.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    It'll be
    Khedira
    Lahm Kroos
    Muller Ozil Gotze
    I bet

Ozil up top?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Rte with the Terminator 2 judgment day soundtrack there. Nice! Hamman in studio aswell, good stuff.

Ozil up top?

I thought it would be 4-3-3 with a false 9 played by muller.

Khedira--Lahm--Kroos

Ozil--Muller--Gotze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This match will be just about ending when I get in from work. Gutted, I bet it will be a cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Muller could easily be playing as striker. So a typical 4-2-3-1 formation.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I thought it would be 4-3-3 with a false 9 played by muller.

Khedira--Lahm--Kroos

Ozil--Muller--Gotze

Ya that looks like the best arrangement so far anyway. Personally id swap Khedira and Lahm, Lahm is more capable in wide positions than Khedira (IMO).

Ozil up top?

Ozil as the false 9 but all the attackers will move around I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

3-1 Portugal I'd say..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Would presume Gotze will play the false 9 role. You would think they'd want Muller out wide to give them some sort of width.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Germany 2-1 Portugal

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hmm really need this to be over 2.5 goals but looking at that German team I think it could be a low scoring game.

Just for people who don't understand betting - what does 2.5 goals mean? How would a game have over 2.0 goals but not over 2.5? What's half a goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Muller any time and Germany -1 seem bargain bets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Most of the big players have performed thus far so long may that continue.

Strange that Portugal have not been able to produce a world class center forward for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just for people who don't understand betting - what does 2.5 goals mean? How would a game have over 2.0 goals but not over 2.5? What's half a goal?

In the unders/overs market you are betting on either 0,1,2 goals or 3+ goals hence 2.5 is the dividing point - the goal line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement