Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany Vs Portugal 5pm (RTE/BBC/ITV) Group G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Crackle wrote: »
    He then get's in Muller's face and makes slight contact with his head.

see the bit in bold...

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

efb wrote: »
    He was fouled. What would the video do???

The video ref might uphold the red card but a yellow could be awarded for Muller's dive in the inital altercation where Pepe's hand just brushed his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Crackle wrote: »
    In what way wasn't it harsh?

Look at what he actually does. He flicks his hand out during a tussle for the ball and catches Muller in the face. Not a big deal and Muller makes a meal of it like most footballers do, unfortunately. He then get's in Muller's face and makes slight contact with his head.

Considering the way modern football is, it's stupid to get involved in things like that, but it doesn't make it any less harsh.

But, as I also said, considering his track record, I have no sympathy for Pepe.

"He makes slight contact with his head." That's exactly why it wasn't harsh. Check the laws of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They should just write this game off, sub Ronaldo and hope they beat the "USA! USA! USA!" and Ghana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I think the problem Portugal have is that Ronaldo is such a big player, such a huge persona, the rest of them are afraid to do anything.

In a strange kind of way, they might be better off without him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Germany as always look the best team in the group stages. I'd like them to win it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Delighted with this start!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Corholio wrote: »
    Should never be praised for doing the right thing. He reacted embarrassingly to the initial contact.

if you cant praise him for doing the right thing when can you praise him? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

The video ref might uphold the red card but a yellow could be awarded for Muller's dive in the inital altercation where Pepe's hand just brushed his face.

Ah now. It was a red card. Not even worth talking about.

Game over already, Germany looking very strong, even before the red card.

Muller seems to be a great tournament player and plays better for Germany. Was a great bet for top scorer, over 30/1.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

If they started sending players off and banning them for reacting like Muller did to a brush against his face, The playacting etc would stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Dunphy talking shíte as per usual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Pepe went for throwing his head in rather than the hand to the face

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Muller seems to be a great tournament player and plays better for Germany. Was a great bet for top scorer, over 30/1.

Was he that price?!! Was top scorer in the last WC - suprsied his odds were that far out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Fescue wrote: »
    I think the problem Portugal have is that Ronaldo is such a big player, such a huge persona, the rest of them are afraid to do anything.

Portugal have lots of useful players, but their game plan so far seems to consist of passing the ball to Ronaldo, hoping for the best, but not actually joining in attacks or supporting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Don't think Germany are as bad as Dunphy is making out. I've been impressed by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Completely disagree.
    Any team would love to have him.

Germany are playing excellent. With the peno and Pepe being silly.
    The score line doesnt have much to do with Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Didi's English speaking accent has gotten yet more Scouse.

Great first half from Germany. Portugal shown to be more style than substance yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The referee did well there, IMO. Good officiating.

He let play go on for Muller's flop originally (I think?), then sent Pepe off for a throwing his head into Muller. Regardless of the first incident, doing what Pepe did with his head is a red card offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I really want to get a flight to Brazil and stick a sock down Adrian Chiles throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Easy for Germany after a good start from Portugal. Really silly from Pepe but you wouldn't expect anything else from him at this stage, there's just no room in the head of a player like him to think before acting although Müller cheated his way into that situation TBF.
    It could get ugly if Germany really go for it but I'd imagine they may rest a few players and take the foot off the gas a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Pepe actually sh*ts himself when Muller gets up off the ground. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Adrian Chiles acting like a clown over the red card. Not surprising. Love how he was straight up told "youre wrong" by the panelists. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Paully D wrote: »
    The referee did well there, IMO. Good officiating.

He let play go on for Muller's flop originally (I think?), then sent Pepe off for a throwing his head into Muller. Regardless of the first incident, doing what Pepe did with his head is a red card offence.

So you only give Red Card Offences? Technically the ref should have blown his whistle when Muller (was shot by Pepes hand) gave a free out and booked Muller!
    If Pepe heard the whistle he may/may not have reacted like he did

Meireles is not happy :pac:

BqREO1rCAAEycCl.jpg

• Advertisement

Fudge You wrote: »
    Completely disagree.
    Any team would love to have him.

Germany are playing excellent. With the peno and Pepe being silly.
    The score line doesnt have much to do with Ronaldo.

It wasn't a criticism of Ronaldo. More a criticism of his teamates. For not having the strength of character to perform their own natural game.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Was he that price?!! Was top scorer in the last WC - suprsied his odds were that far out.

I am just after backing him now on PP at 8/1, after scoring 2 goals and being joint top with Benzema I think. Usually the top goalscorer scores by the first round.

BqREO1rCAAEycCl.jpg

Burst my hole laughing at this pic :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

chupacabra wrote: »
    Adrian Chiles acting like a clown over the red card. Not surprising. Love how he was straight up told "youre wrong" by the panelists. :D

What does anyone expect really hes English and hes talking about a German if it was one the English team doing it he wouldnt care he would be laughing there winning 3-0.

It wasn't a criticism of Ronaldo. More a criticism of his teamates. For not having the strength of character to perform their own natural game.

It's the exact same team, man-for-man, that reached the semi-finals of Euro 2012 and only exited via a penalty shootout to the eventual champions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I am just after backing him now on PP at 8/1, after scoring 2 goals and being joint top with Benzema I think. Usually the top goalscorer scores by the first round.

I spot him at 20/1 just before half time and i missed it !!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

And RVP, Neymar, Robben! All on two goals.

Seen the point made on twitter, with all the talk of Klose potentially talking over Ronaldo's overall WC goals record this year, Muller could well surpass it in a later tournament. He's already on 7 goals half a game into his second tournament, and only 24 years old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Kinda hope Germany don't take the foot off the pedal and score a couple more.

It's the exact same team, man-for-man, that reached the semi-finals of Euro 2012 and only exited via a penalty shootout to the eventual champions.

That's a good point but I am commenting on what I am watching now as opposed to 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

If they started sending players off and banning them for reacting like Muller did to a brush against his face, The playacting etc would stop!

BUt Pepe didn't get punished for brushing Muller's face, the ball was still in play and the ref had ignored that.

Besides, players are always going to go down easy/make the most of a foul due to the poor officiating. If a player decides to be honest and not to make the most of it when he is fouled, unless he is absolutely hacked down, the ref will just ignore it because he didn't react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BqREO1rCAAEycCl.jpg

Can he pick up a retrospective punishment for that? Meireles really does look like a mainlining tenements tramp who won a prize to play football.

I spot him at 20/1 just before half time and i missed it !!.

I backed Milan Baros a few years back at 33/1 pre tournament. I backed Aguero this time, but after seeing him in the first game I think he is more of a hindrance to Argentina, when Higuain came on they were much better.

I'd imagine Ronaldo will be subbed unless Portugal reduce the deficit sharply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

mike65 wrote: »
    Can he pick up a retrospective punishment for that? Meireles really does look like a mainlining tenements tramp who won a prize to play football.

He's not giving the middle finger really :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

"Just brushed his face" ie contact hard to prove anything after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd be getting seriously sick of Pepe's bull**** if I was Ronaldo.

Any game of importance and he completely ****ing bottles it and gets sent off.

He's a parody of himself at this stage.

So you only give Red Card Offences? Technically the ref should have blown his whistle when Muller (was shot by Pepes hand) gave a free out and booked Muller!
    If Pepe heard the whistle he may/may not have reacted like he did

Ridiculous. So the fact that Pepe stuck his head into Muller's head was the ref's fault and not Pepe's? Fuzzy logic there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The funniest thing about the sending off incident is Pepe's outrage for the way Muller went down. Pepe is one of the worst offenders for play acting I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Terrible from Ozil

mike65 wrote: »

That was Bebe wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Should have scored that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Even worse from Nani....jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Blatter wrote: »
    The funniest thing about the sending off incident is Pepe's outrage for the way Muller went down. Pepe is one of the worst offenders for play acting I've ever seen.

You know what makes it worse ? The fact he's actually a good defender, if he wasn't an absolute idiot he could probably be one of best around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bad miss from Ozil.

• Advertisement

Brain fart from Nani there

Advertisement