Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs killed sheep. Trying to find owners of dogs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jamboat

We have actually been advised by the Guards to get paper work from the farmer. We queried the cost with the farmer and he got defensive. I can understand he's upset but surely it should be ok for me to see the vet bill and disposal etc. I don't see it as being cheeky to be honest. I'm co-operating with the farmer but I just want proof of the costs. I don't see anything wrong with that.

The way it is at the moment the bill hopefully will be split between me and my friend who was minding the dogs as the person who initially found them is not accepting that he has anything to do with it. He also told me that he had them checked for chips when they were found and had rang the warden...but I only have his word on this. It was a sunday evening when he asked me for help and he had them a few days at that stage. I volunteer a lot with resuces and I tried to ring around to see if they could have rescue space but on a sunday no one was answering the phone...they need time off as well :) Hence the reason for my friend taking them for a couple of nights until it could be sorted.

Hindsight is a great thing and there are so many things I would have done differently if I could go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

== Pay the man.

Why should the OP pay the man? OP did not have the dogs in her care.

If it is €1300 then fair enough. I genuinely know nothing about the value of sheep and he has to be compensated. NOt sure about the insurance but worth a try.

Willfarmerman I'm not gaffing about. Are you a farmer?
    I don't have that kind of money to just pay him. If I have to pay the full amount I will have to get a loan. If my friend splits it with me I can probably come up with it in a few weeks. Either way it will take time.
    Isn't the farmer fortunate that I'm co operating and agreeing he should be compensated? The fact is they didn't end up killing 60 sheep.

Sorry I see you said 100 sheep not 60!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Jamboat wrote: »
    My gut instinct is they were dumped.
    More common sensical than gut instinct OP. The same thing happens to horses too when they injure people or damage property. The people responsible for the animals vanish into thin air only to repeat their antics somewhere else. If you do come across these people again suggest to your solicitor that they are prevented from owning animals in the future. I'm also following a thread in pet and animal issues regarding a neighbour of another boardsie who loves the novelty of acquiring a new dog every few weeks but has no interest in the dogs welfare or upkeep at all. Can't paste the link in here. Maybe some other boardsie will do the honours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Pay the man what he is owed.

Willfarmerman, tone it down please. If you can't address others users without being so pushy, then don't post.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

You were lucky that they didn't do a lot more carnage. A good breeding ewe will cost him €200 to put back. A lamb €120. Plus his veterinary costs and the cost of the disposal. The sheep he has left won't thrive for a long time if at all which is impossible to quantify. And you have to understand that this is extremely traumatic for any farmer. We love our stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

Jamboat wrote: »
    Willfarmerman I'm not gaffing about. Are you a farmer?
    I don't have that kind of money to just pay him. If I have to pay the full amount I will have to get a loan. If my friend splits it with me I can probably come up with it in a few weeks. Either way it will take time.
    Isn't the farmer fortunate that I'm co operating and agreeing he should be compensated? The fact is they didn't end up killing 60 sheep.

If I were the farmer at this stage I would be finished talking to you and would be showing my documentation to you in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You were lucky that they didn't do a lot more carnage. A good breeding ewe will cost him €200 to put back. A lamb €120. Plus his veterinary costs and the cost of the disposal. The sheep he has left won't thrive for a long time if at all which is impossible to quantify. And you have to understand that this is extremely traumatic for any farmer. We love our stock.

I'm sure ye do love your stock, but surely you'd agree that it is best that the OP waits for a vet's report just in case this particular farmer has decided to charge her for putting down sheep that weren't injured in any way by the dogs, but were dying of a completely unrelated illness?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

If I were the farmer at this stage I would be finished talking to you and would be showing my documentation to you in court.
    Ah will you go easy on the woman Will. The farmer is going to get his money, just not today.

The farmer will have to give her the fees for costs of disposal and vet fees and also the costs of replacing the sheep.

Its an expensive lesson, OP, on the dangers of dogs in the countryside. I have some sheep and have a zero tolerance of strays on the farm and in fairness my neighbours have no problems with it, keeping their dogs tied up or in a run. The first 12 months after i started in sheep was trying, both for my sheep and the neighbourhood dog population, but all fairly OK now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The farmer is getting a very, very raw deal here. This kind of thing does serious damage down the line. His whole flock is compromised.

I think splitting it is the way forward but even then it's a bit harsh on your friend considering he was doing you a favour. From a legal standpoint it's his fault - it depends on how much you value your friendship. If it was someone who meant a lot to you I'd probably pay it all myself.

A sad story tbh, absolutely no winners to be had and relations will be damaged regardless from hereon out. All for trying to do the decent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I still don't get how the originial neighbour who everyone was doing a favour by minding the dogs is getting away scott free!!!

I still don't get how the originial neighbour who everyone was doing a favour by minding the dogs is getting away scott free!!!

I actually forgot all about him, that changes things a bit alright. It'll certainly sour the OP and his relationship if he doesn't take any responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I actually forgot all about him, that changes things a bit alright. It'll certainly sour the OP and his relationship if he doesn't take any responsibility.

Absolutely, the dogs were only at the property they escaped from because the OP had asked a friend to hold onto them on this guy's behalf. Granted he couldn't have known that they would escape from there, but common decency would dictate that he should offer to bear some of the cost.

He's just acting like nothing happened. He introduced these pups into everyones lives, and fecked off then!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Fair play to him for having some sense. Neither party owned the dogs so should never be held liable for the destruction they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Fair play to him for having some sense. Neither party owned the dogs so should never be held liable for the destruction they do.

I'm not sure about that. The dogs could have been surrendered instead of holding onto them, and it seems responsibility for the dogs was assumed by various people along the way. Assuming responsibility will likely lead to liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Farmer needs to be paid.

Farmer needs to be paid.

Yes, but by who?

There will be one fewer pair of friends/acquaintances in this circle by the end of this debacle that's for sure. I wonder if the OP is closer to the guy who lost the dogs or the guy who gave them to him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Op, does the original founder of the dogs live near you? It's just you said you work regularly with dog rescues, if so i'd say it was someone know to you that dropped the dogs, if this is the case.

If I was OP id have their friend give half the money to the farmer, and tell the farmer to look to Mr Head In the Sand for the other half. That way OP can contribute to their friends half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Very unfortunate situation alright. If the farmer feels he's owed an amount of money then its only right that he provides proof of these figures to th op.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 UserNo1

The person who was looking looking after the dogs when they escaped is at fault and should pay up. He did a good turn but ****ed up

If Op wants to be nice . He could offer to pay some as long as the can make an agreement like below

Person who found dogs 1/4

person who offered to find a place for the dogs 1/4

person who didnt secure the dogs 1/2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

If I were OP I'd let this go to court. OP was not in possession of the dogs at all. Let a judge decide.

If I were OP I'd let this go to court. OP was not in possession of the dogs at all. Let a judge decide.

We have established that he is legally absolved of paying any money but he'll end up shafting his friend.

The farmer might end up getting screwed over if he goes down this route and if that happened it would quite frankly be ridiculous and extremely unfair. 1300e is not too much to ask for - he will lose a lot more than that as time goes on.

The question is does he value his friendships more than the money. The first guy, rightly being referred to above as "Mr. Head in the sand" clearly does not. It's up to the OP to make a judgement call - The blame is technically on the guy who let the dogs escape.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Willfarmerman, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you posted at roughly the same time I did and didn't see my warning.
    Regardless, don't post in this thread again.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

i think the best thing to do is to split the amount owed in three and pay the farmer that way. Either way the farmer must be compensated for his loss and he should provide proof of damage caused to him. If this does not happen the farmer should sue the person who failed to secure the dogs and you will probably lose a friend over this.

The first person should have surrendered the dogs to the pound in the first instance rather than take responsibility for dogs that are not his and then pass them on the someone else. In a rural area it's safe to assume that dogs that are on their own that are unfamiliar have been dumped. it happens all the time unfortunately.

[QUOTE=Jamboat;90907636 He also told me that he had them checked for chips when they were found and had rang the warden...but I only have his word on this. [/QUOTE]

UserNo1 wrote: »
    The person who was looking looking after the dogs when they escaped is at fault and should pay up. He did a good turn but ****ed up

If Op wants to be nice . He could offer to pay some as long as the can make an agreement like below

Person who found dogs 1/4

person who offered to find a place for the dogs 1/4

person who didnt secure the dogs 1/2

Sure while we're at it OP could divide the costs between the 3 people to have contact with the dog and the warden that did nothing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I'm torn on this... the farmer obviously has to be paid and ordinarily i would say the person who let them out is responsible but in this case i don't think ether of the three should be held responsible. the op and their friend were trying to do the right thing and stop the dogs causing damage or getting hurt.

someone knows who owned these dogs and if it was me i would be searching for the owners who most likely dumped them and are the only ones responsible in my opinion. the power of social media should be used here, spread it around, offer a small reward if info is supplied which identifies the owners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement