Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for asking a question

Options
  • 16-06-2014 11:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭

I was banned from the motorsport theread for enquiring if Michael schumacher is in a vegatitive state?

LIGHTNING appears to not take comments about michael lightly, perhaps too personally. Vagtable is a state of consciousness and has a complete grounding in medical terminology.

I am absolutely offended to be banned for asking a question????????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

3 reported posts in 10 minutes tells me that Lightning wasn't the only person who took offence.

Your record of late is pretty shocking - 13 mod actions (including 8 bans) since the start of the year.

Tone it down or you won't be on this site for much longer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

7 of those i should have raised in here also, i believe all of them should be overturned.

how is asking if someone a vegetable offensive?

How? It is from the vegatative state.

This ban is not warranted. What ever about any other ban. you have no right to ban someone for asking such a question. Then to follow up with lightnings post on my comment, i find truely petty and offensive in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm not arguing with you about semantics.

If you want the ban to be overturned, please follow the instructions at the top of this page.

Well that is a bit unfair.

You banned me for semantics, so to speak.

The whole nature of this is due to semantics.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you discussed your ban with the mod who banned you? - that is the first step as set out above. If you are unable to reach agreement then you may start a thread here

I would add that in this case your first post in the Motor Racing forum was to ask whether Michael Schumacher was a "vegetable" in a thread devoted to discussing the condition and hopeful recovery of an icon of the sport. As Mr E has already pointed out there were a number of reports of what clearly was a totally tasteless comment in a very sensitive thread

Now I recognise you may have made that comment without appreciating just how tasteless it was. That is part of the reason you should discuss it with the mod first. You have no previous posts in the forum and so the mods can only take that post at face value and act accordingly. Clearly your poor record elsewhere on the site does you no favours, and as Mr E has already mentioned you perhaps need to reconsider what and how you post on the site if you wish to retain posting privileges. If you were to apologise to the mod for making that post as well as some of your comments in this thread, and give some assurances about your future behaviour (particularly as we have no track record to go on), perhaps the mod may look to shorten or even lift the ban which may make this thread unnecessary.

Just to make one thing clear. I have not spoken to the mod in question and at this stage do not know whether they will come to some compromise here, but the onus is on you to seek it in the first place

• Advertisement

I will not apologise for my comment.
    Ii have nothing to apologise about in this instance.
    Its not a candle lit vigil at schumachers bedside, it is a forum.
    I have done nothing wrong and I refuse to believe that someone was offended by asking if someone is in a vegetative state.
    No evidence as of tuesday 17 june at 9.28pm to show that he is not brain dead.

But no, I will not apologise. And its not that im trollimg, its not that im trying to cause offense. Im not trying to be controversial. I just have nothing to apologise for.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, you did not answer my question and I'm therefore assuming you have not followed the procedure set out above as Mr E stated you must. I gave you a firm steer on how to go about asking the mod to reconsider.

You went into a forum, and a particularly sensitive thread without consideration of the wider context. In the circumstances I am seeing no reason for overturning the mod's decision

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

lolosaur wrote: »
    I will not apologise for my comment.

Then we're done here.

One of two things is the case here: either you know perfectly well how you caused offence, in which case you were flat-out trolling; or you don't understand how you caused offence, in which case you need to learn to think about what you post and how it may be perceived by others before you post.

I'll reiterate what Mr E said at the start: unless you revise your approach to posting, you won't be posting on this site much longer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement