Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House contents Post sale agreed !

Options
  • 16-06-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

I have just sold a or at least have an offer on a rental property that was in deep negative equity and I will just about manage to get out intack.
    I dont want the hassle of emptying the house what options do I have on the contents can I make it a condition of the sale that the contents are seperate and set a price for the purchaser. They have told the agent they do not want them but I feel this is a play on their behalf thinking i will just leave it furnished. This is a cash buyer who feel they have a strong hand, what are they legally entitled to, as if I have to remove anything I will take everything out and leave as bare a house as is possible as I am pretty peed off at the whole rental property experience. Tks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Skips are cheap...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Darsad wrote: »
    I have just sold a or at least have an offer on a rental property that was in deep negative equity and I will just about manage to get out intack.
    I dont want the hassle of emptying the house what options do I have on the contents can I make it a condition of the sale that the contents are seperate and set a price for the purchaser. They have told the agent they do not want them but I feel this is a play on their behalf thinking i will just leave it furnished. This is a cash buyer who feel they have a strong hand, what are they legally entitled to, as if I have to remove anything I will take everything out and leave as bare a house as is possible as I am pretty peed off at the whole rental property experience. Tks for any replies.

Theres your answer, I dont understand what would draw you to the conclusion someone wants second hand items ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

put Ad up that your having contents sale. Sold as seen. Ring the Saint Vincents De Paul?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

mad m wrote: »
    put Ad up that your having contents sale. Sold as seen. Ring the Saint Vincents De Paul?

There's no point sending them furniture surely? Storage costs would be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

There's no point sending them furniture surely? Storage costs would be an issue.

Never said bring furniture to them, ring them and they might come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Tks for the replies , i know all those options and might have to go down that road , i suppose i was really wanting to know what is the minimim I have to leave ie curtains carpets etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Not entirely sure from your post if you do want to take everything from the house or not!

Generally, unless your contract with the buyer states otherwise, if it's not nailed down you can take it away. But there's no hard and fast rules... I have even heard extreme cases where doors etc were removed from houses - but this strikes me as dishonest.

So I would say you could take the curtains, lampshades, all furniture etc with a clean conscience. But leave the carpet and anything else that is 'fixed' in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

what is the minimim I have to leave ie curtains carpets etc .

You should be asking your solicitor this question, not randoms here. It depends on what the contract says. But you certainly cannot force the buyer to take it and pay extra for it.

Oh - and depending on the location you're in, VdP and the Simon Community do both take furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You cannot remove fittings such as doors or windows but you can remove fixtures such as carpets curtains, furniture etc. There are option houses will send around a van take everything in and sell it off under the hammer. If you leave the contents, you would be in breach of contract insofar as you're not giving vacant possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Truffles_

They have told the agent they do not want them but I feel this is a play on their behalf thinking i will just leave it furnished.
    Why would you automatically think they want what you have in the house? The buyer may well have their own furniture and appliances they would like to move in. Even if this isn't the case, who said any of your stuff is to their taste?
    This is a cash buyer who feel they have a strong hand, what are they legally entitled to, as if I have to remove anything I will take everything out and leave as bare a house as is possible as I am pretty peed off at the whole rental property experience.
    So you're leaving the renting game with a sour note in your mouth, I'm not sure how this is the buyers problem. If they don't want the contents then they don't want them, so get a skip, sell off stuff individually or give away to charity.

We're currently in the market to buy at the moment, renting at present. Have all of our own furniture and appliances ready to go. Most houses I've seen, lets say mentally I've gutted them in my head. Thats not an insult to any seller, it's the fact that tastes can vary and I don't want the contents left to me to get rid of. Their answer is probably an honest one, so you're just going to have to deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Anything decent :P adverts is your friend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Freecycle.org

When its free- you'd be amazed at what people will happily take.
    May have to hang around for collections etc- which can be annoying- but it'll save skipping things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My local branch of Vincent de Paul has a second hand furniture shop, and they collect furniture from people's houses and take it there. I can't see how an option like this would be any hassle to you, because all you have to do is open the door.
    Seems a bit childish to strip the place of other things you don't want that the new owners might, just because they told you they didn't want to buy your furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

There are Auction houses will send around a van take everything in and sell it off under the hammer.
    We did this. One of Dub Laoghaire ones did this for us. Cleared everything, dumped the old mattresses, sold the lot then. We made a few quid after all the costs. Not much, but it was hastle free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

mad m wrote: »

Don't waste your time with St. Vincents. I was clearing a showhouse for a company. The show house furniture was in excellent condition. St. Vincents wouldn't take it unless it was new.
    Go on to Gumtree and advertise in the Freebie section as house contents to clear. You will get loads of replies very quickly. Many immigrants from East Europe love getting the stuff as they are starting up a home. Often too they will fix anything needing fixing and sell it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Maybe have a quick word with the buyers of the house to check is there anything in particular they would like for you to leave for them.

Don't be a pr!ck like in our case where everything was left in the house when we bought it, it was a rental house sold in receivership, we had to get rid of the beds, delph etc at our own cost. The upside of it though is that some of the furniture was in quite good condition eg table & chairs and sofas so we are not in a hurry to replace those until we can afford to.

However OP - don't take out something which should be included in the sale if it has been agreed, eg fitted kitchen - my friend bought a house earlier this year and just before the sale closed the owner went in and ripped out the kitchen appliances - cooker and integrated fridge freezer. He was then "uncontactable". Set my friend back aas she had not budgetted for those and couldn't move in until she had new ones.

Advertisement