Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The writings of St Paul book

• 16-06-2014 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I was wondering, are there any books out there with just the writings of St Paul in them? I know I could probably scan through the entire New Testament but I was wondering if there is something with just his writings in it? Like all his letter's etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

This was a course run earlier this year by the EDX org: St. Paul and early Christianity - https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/harvardx-hds1544-1x-early-christianity-927#.U57Y4_ldVjI
    In the lectures it gave a review of St. Paul's key letters and their context, as well as having a substantial bibliography of secondary sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

http://www.amazon.com/The-Navarre-Bible-Letters-Testament/dp/1594170371

This is good and has an excellent commentary also. All of Paul's writings in one volume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

veganrun wrote: »
    I was wondering, are there any books out there with just the writings of St Paul in them? I know I could probably scan through the entire New Testament but I was wondering if there is something with just his writings in it? Like all his letter's etc.

Thanks.

1. Get a cheap New Testament.

2. Rip out all the pages that come before Romans.

3. Rip out all the pages that come after Philemon.

4. Bob's your uncle! Now you have a book with just the writings of St Paul in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Nick Park wrote: »

4. Bob's your uncle! Now you have a book with just the writings of St Paul in it.
    At a guess, you work in IT technical support? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mezuzaj

veganrun wrote: »

Thanks.

Apart from the 14 letters in the new testament I don't think anything else survives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Hann56

I only read Paul's letters.Because he was an apostle to the Gentiles; Romans 15:16 That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.
    Galatians 2:8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:) Do you know Paul's gospel?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Nick Park wrote: »

Sounds a bit drastic.:)
    ... but it certainly is one way of achieving what veganrun wants.

Could I ask veganrun why he doesn't want to read the Gospels and Revelation, for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Even if veganrun is at this point only interested in the letters of Paul, I don't see that he needs a book containing only those texts. He can get a New Testament and just not read the texts attributed to other authors.

The OP suggests that veganrun may think that Paul's letters form a small and scattered part of the New Testament, but this is not the case. Veganrun, the bulk of the New Testament was written by Paul, and the texts written by him are all grouped together and conveniently arranged in descending order of size, starting with Romans (16 chapters) and ending with Philemon (one very short chapter).

Immediately after Philemon you'll find the Epistle to the Hebrews, whose authorship is unknown. In some bibles it is attributed to Paul, but it's nowadays regarded as very unlikely that Paul wrote it. The attribution to Paul has never been strong enough that anyone has included it in its place in the sequence of Paul's letters (which would be quite high up; Hebrews is a longish text).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hann56

Pauls epistles or letters are from Romans to Philimon , they were not always included within the Bible as we know today,there was a time when all of Paul's letters were separate and was called The Apostle.Do you know Paul's gospel?
    1Corinthians 15:3,4. You need to believe it to be saved Ephesians 1:13.

Advertisement