Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strandhill, Sligo get your act together.

Options
  • 16-06-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Having spent the weekend in Sligo, specifically Strandhill and having done so may times over the last 20 years I was disgusted at the amount of dog **** around the place. It's everywhere. Walking with two young children from the car park down to the beach is a nightmare. Visited the playground yesterday morning and someone, yes someone had taken a **** in the playground. The litter, general unkemptness of the place, illegal parking outside the Strand bar all need to be addressed. Lovely atmosphere, nice people and the odd sunny day can make this a great place to visit but Strandhill really needs to get it act together and address these issues. I will be writing to the council about this but it's the community that needs to fix this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Mullaghmore was just as bad last week dog poo everywhere.. and people parking ourside the Strand drives me mad .. how lazy can people be .. with a huge car park 100 meters away!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Dinging wrote: »
    Having spent the weekend in Sligo, specifically Strandhill and having done so may times over the last 20 years I was disgusted at the amount of dog **** around the place. It's everywhere. Walking with two young children from the car park down to the beach is a nightmare. Visited the playground yesterday morning and someone, yes someone had taken a **** in the playground. The litter, general unkemptness of the place, illegal parking outside the Strand bar all need to be addressed. Lovely atmosphere, nice people and the odd sunny day can make this a great place to visit but Strandhill really needs to get it act together and address these issues. I will be writing to the council about this but it's the community that needs to fix this.
    Not just Strandhill, but the dog poo issue is a common issue in lots of public areas unfortunately.
    A lot of dog owners don't seem to car to be honest and theres rarely any enforcement (difficult to enforce tbf)

A lot of the public areas in many counties, as well as playgrounds etc, are unfortunately falling into poor repair as a result of staff cuts etc and as far as Sligo CC go, they are in the red to the tune of millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Dog crap and litter are two things that Sligo has no shortage of. I have to do my best Fred Astaire impression when walking along most foothpaths in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Yes damn the people of Strandhill for allowing others to come into the village with their dogs and let them continue their "I don't care where my dog shíts, as long as it's not in my garden" attitude.

Having said that there is a campaign gearing up to tackle the problem with signs already up and pooper scoopers available at the beachfront. Problem is a lot of dog owners are thick as the shít the dogs excretes and won't use these things that are freely available.

And there is plenty of bins about except they're so small, they're full by lunchtime on a busy day and the CoCo don't have the manpower to have someone cleaning fulltime. God forbid people would take their rubbish home but I think it's the other way around TBH.

And seemingly the double yellows lines outside the Strand are not in the bye laws as a non parking area so technically people can park on them if they wish. The lads in The Strand used to put out no parking cones, don't know why they stopped this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Plazaman wrote: »
    Yes damn the people of Strandhill for allowing others to come into the village with their dogs and let them continue their "I don't care where my dog shíts, as long as it's not in my garden" attitude.

Having said that there is a campaign gearing up to tackle the problem with signs already up and pooper scoopers available at the beachfront. Problem is a lot of dog owners are thick as the shít the dogs excretes and won't use these things that are freely available.

And there is plenty of bins about except they're so small, they're full by lunchtime on a busy day and the CoCo don't have the manpower to have someone cleaning fulltime. God forbid people would take their rubbish home but I think it's the other way around TBH.

And seemingly the double yellows lines outside the Strand are not in the bye laws as a non parking area so technically people can park on them if they wish. The lads in The Strand used to put out no parking cones, don't know why they stopped this.

Complain to the byrnes, shur they own most of Strandhill as it is. Who do you think got the lines and bollards installed oustide the strand?

Very little goes on in Strandhill that they're not involved in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

The County Council have since last year, been doing door-to-door checks for dog licences at €20 per dog. Kerching! They just need to prosecute a few for letting their dog sh1t on the pavement without doing anything about it.

Forget the posters and free dog pooper scoopers, a few names in in the Sligo Champion will be the best deterrent.

Likewise AGS needs to prosecute people who mindlessly half park on the pavement, with an empty car park nearby, blocking access for wheelchairs and people with prams, making them walk out onto the road. An accident waiting to happen.

A few more random breathalyser tests would not go amiss either.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Dinging

Ref the illegal parking, this is now with Sligo County Council. They have acknowledged my email and I have also asked them ref the double yellow lines and their legality. Lets see what happens.

As for the dog ****, yes its difficult to prosecute someone for this. They can claim they did not see the dog doing it, its not their dog etc but if there is a will there is a way. 2 or 3 prosecutions is all you need, court fine is €1900.00. Followed with lots of publicity letting people know that not cleaning up after your dog while in Co Sligo is not on and you are likely to be prosecuted. Keep the pressure on by sporadic monitoring and I suggest the problem would be solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Regarding the dog faeces, this won't ever be addressed until a firm law is issued by the government in relation to dogs roaming. This isn't just a sligo problem with people not picking up after their dogs. A public print of some fines might help, but I guarantee you it won't catch the main culprits.

I for one always carry poop bags with me. They only cost a euro for a bag of 20 or so in the pound shops. Why should the council hand out freebies? It's about education and a bit of cop on if you ask me.

The bins need better collections. I for one, will not be bring poop in the car on a warm day. I'll find a bin somewhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Dogs:

"Under the Control of Dogs Act 1986, as amended by the Control of Dogs (Amendment) Act 1992, local authorities are responsible for the control of dogs".

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

Parking:

Most local authorities employ their own traffic wardens to enforce the parking regulations and issue fines. Members of An Garda Siochana (the Irish police force) also have this authority. Your local authority is responsible for creating bye-laws that list places in your town/city where parking fees will be imposed.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/traffic_and_parking/parking_fines_and_vehicle_clamping.html

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

You can't really be that surprised about the Sh*tty parking... Sligo is plagued with moron drivers that can't park and/or are too lazy to park further and walk. They decide to goto the beach on a sunny day, why would they act any differently.

Anybody who does it should have their car towed and crushed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

You can't really be that surprised about the Sh*tty parking... Sligo is plagued with moron drivers that can't park and/or are too lazy to park further and walk. They decide to goto the beach on a sunny day, why would they act any differently.

Anybody who does it should have their car towed and crushed.
    Not just a Sligo problem, it's an all-Ireland problem from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Sligo town and in particular the MCR area is terrible for it. I walk that road most days and the amount of it on the paths is disgraceful

So got the following response from Sligo Country Council. Only 3 months later:

"Thank you for your email, and I apologise for the delay in replying. This playground was provided and is maintained by a community group and Sligo County Council have no involvement in the management of same. Nonetheless I will try to find a contact to pass on your comments. On the issue of illegal parking, this has been notified by us to An Garda Siochána on several occasions over the years, but it would be no harm for others to voice their concerns to them also."

So there you have it folks. 3 months wait to be told no our problem, Sligo CC have no responsibility over the playground or the parking. So feel free to crap and park where you want in Strandhill.

Thanks Dinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sligo CC have no responsibility over the playground

They don't. It's a community project. A 10 second Google would have told you that. Look even some contact details... http://www.sligosportandrecreation.ie/listing/strandhill-community-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

So got the following response from Sligo Country Council. Only 3 months later:

"Thank you for your email, and I apologise for the delay in replying. This playground was provided and is maintained by a community group and Sligo County Council have no involvement in the management of same. Nonetheless I will try to find a contact to pass on your comments. On the issue of illegal parking, this has been notified by us to An Garda Siochána on several occasions over the years, but it would be no harm for others to voice their concerns to them also."

So there you have it folks. 3 months wait to be told no our problem, Sligo CC have no responsibility over the playground or the parking. So feel free to crap and park where you want in Strandhill.

Thanks Dinging.

A bit contradictory compared with your original post where you say it's a community problem????

Some people seem to think they can blame the CoCo or politicians for their own actions or the actions of others, who may may not even be members of the local community!
    Eg. I was told in no uncertain terms to f### off by a non-local ( I know by the accent and car reg.) who dumped a full childs nappy into the sea in Lissadell on Sunday last!
    So maybe the problem is as much about how visitors behave as it is about Sligo CoCo or it's community!

red sean wrote: »
    A bit contradictory compared with your original post where you say it's a community problem????

Did I say it was a community problem, read the post again I said it was up to the community to fix these issues. The playground was filthy when I visited. Someone took a **** in the covered area and it looked like it had been there a while. There is no signage the playground. If it had been a Sligo CoCo playground they are obliged to have a contact number so if there is a problem you can contact them. There is no sign as far as I could see. The playground was a community project so they need to address this, the community. So if and when a piece of equipment is broken or the playground is dirty they can be contacted and fix any issues.

As for the parking. Sligo CoCo have confirmed that parking outside of the Strand Pub is illegal. The bye laws are in place (someone had suggested that the bye laws may not be in place) that its down to enforcement by the guards. I say all you need is one or two people i.e. "the community" to pester and lobby their local politicians and county councillors to have the guards enforce this and remove cars for illegal parking. Again its down to the community to fix these issues.

I wrote the Sligo CoCo. They have no jurisdiction over the playground or the parking issues. I did not say any of these issues were in any way related to the county council and my writing to them was to establish some facts which they were kind enough to confirm. I was in no way blaming Sligo CoCo for ****ting in the playground or the illegal parking.

Well done for tackling that person for throwing the nappy into the sea. I hope you got his reg and reported it to the guards.

Advertisement