Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering chocolate cake with roll out fondant

• 16-06-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am making Mary Berry's Chocolate Sponge cake for my dd birthday at the weekend, ingredients as follows, I can't post a link as I am a new user:

Sponge
    50g/2oz cocoa powder
    6 tbsp boiling water
    3 free-range eggs
    4 tbsp milk
    175g/6oz self-raising flour
    1 rounded tsp baking powder
    100g/4oz baking spread or soft butter
    300g/10oz natural caster sugar

Ganache to be spread between layers and over the whole cake.

I have made the cake a couple of times before, once with the chocolate ganache and then covered that with butter icing. This time I hope to use the roll out fondant, my 2 questions are:
    1. Is it ok to put the Roll out fondant straight onto the Ganache or should I leave the Ganache out this time?

2. Will the Roll out Fondant be too heavy for this type of cake?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

Roll out sugarpaste will be fine over the ganache, put on a good layer which will strengthen the cake for under the icing, will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eire76

Thanks for the reassurance, will have a busy day Thursday as have 2 cakes to bake and decorate :)

Advertisement