Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Djouce from Crone Woods Loop Walk

Options
  • 16-06-2014 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi all
    I am looking for some info on doing the above walk - I can't find a map showing it online.
    Can anyone give me directions, distances, info and a map if possible?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The route starts at the carpark here
    then follows the forestry road south of the fields in Bahana
    There's a couple of hairpins and then the route goes along the top of the glacial valley in Deerpark,
    through chopped down forest and down to the Dargle ( which is the river that falls at the powerscourt waterfall.
    Follow the trail up and to a T junction, with Djouce to the right, Wicklow-way/Lough Tay straight on.

I dunno if there is any Loop as such, It's tough ground down off Djouce to the Coffin Stone and up Maulin, when you can get onto a forestry road and down to the car park again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, there isn't a looped walk to Djouce as such. You can just follow the Wicklow Way signs (yellow hiking man on black poles) from the car park to the base of Djouce (stile over a wall) and then return the same way, or there are alternative routes back through the forest. See http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/uploads/tx_r3coillterecreationsites/Croneballyreagh.pdf for a map of the trails in the woods ... the Wicklow Way is the yellow trail on the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭miss.piggy

Ok, thanks for the replies. Roughly how long does it take (round trip) for 2 fairly fit people?
    Is there a boardwalk up djouce?

It's around 13km if you go there and back via the same route, a little more if you take a different route via the forest tracks on the way back. There's no boardwalk up Djouce. So maybe 3 hours or so, but it all depends on how fast you walk, and how long you spend at the top. On a clear day you'll probably spend quite a long time there as the views are great.

There's another route up that's boardwalk most of the way, again apart from the last bit up Djouce itself, which starts at the car park near the JB Malone memorial overlooking Lough Tay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I'd recommend a detour to the top of powerscourt waterfall during your walk - it's worth the effort for the views and only adds about 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

Is there a sign along the wicklow way route for the top of powerscourt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Not that i'm aware of but getting there is easy enough. As soon as you cross the dargle river at the bridge, turn left to follow the river until you reach the falls. There are a couple of pools along the way that have always looked inviting for a dip if it was a hot day.

Would good runners be ok in this weather for this route?

miss.piggy wrote: »
    Would good runners be ok in this weather for this route?
    No problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Good timing for me to read this thread. Djouce is on my list for the weekend if the weather holds up. I was considering approaching from Crone and am delighted to hear that it isn't too bad a walk at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's probably 3 hours round trip, it's a savage pull up to djouce summit.
    There's a great view, and shelter from any wind right below the peak, so you can take a break.

The view where you come around a corner and see the waterfall is a fairly amazing view too.

There is some risk to your car at crone car park, take precautions, leave nothing of value in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It's probably 3 hours round trip, it's a savage pull up to djouce summit.
    There's a great view, and shelter from any wind right below the peak, so you can take a break.

The view where you come around a corner and see the waterfall is a fairly amazing view too.

There is some risk to your car at crone car park, take precautions, leave nothing of value in the car.

Thanks for the heads up; it will be my spot to crack open the Thermos and lunchbox. The waterfall is one sight I've wanted to see again :)

Crone was always prone to car break ins over the years for some reason; sad to hear that it's still the case :(

Advertisement