Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P.C problems!

Options
  • 16-06-2014 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi I have a problem with my P.C and i was wondering can anyone on here maybe help me?
    Sometimes when i turn on my P.C it instantly turns itself off but other times it stays on for awhile then crashes and then just turns off could this have something to do with the heatsink or thermal paste or would it be more of a PSU problem? It has started to get really frequent and now the computer wont even turn on for 5 seconds any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Could be either. Assuming its a tower case PC, pull the cover off and check for fluff and does the CPU fan spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hilyardo

yeah the fan spins and its staying on for awhile now but it also seems to turn off when i do something for example save a word document or log into facebook thats when it gets all glitchy and crashes

Get http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html to monitor the CPU temp

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Get http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html to monitor the CPU temp

CPU-Z doesn't monitor temps. Try something like RealTemp. Pay particular attention to distance from TJ Max. If it's even remotely close to 0 you have a definite temperature issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If it stays on with the side off it might be overheating. Its full of dust in the fans and heatsink?

• Advertisement

maki wrote: »
    CPU-Z doesn't monitor temps.

Ooops!
    I do use ReatTemp. Others are Coretemp and Speedfan

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FJFreelance

hilyardo wrote: »
    Hi I have a problem with my P.C and i was wondering can anyone on here maybe help me?
    Sometimes when i turn on my P.C it instantly turns itself off but other times it stays on for awhile then crashes and then just turns off could this have something to do with the heatsink or thermal paste or would it be more of a PSU problem? It has started to get really frequent and now the computer wont even turn on for 5 seconds any help would be great.

When you say crashes what exactly happens?

If you turn it on from a state when you know everythings cool and you turn it back on and 5 seconds later it will still shut off?
    If this is the case there is no way it could overheat in 5 seconds, there must be another problem.

Have you a photo of the internals of the computer?

Advertisement