Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Client paying by direct debit...

Options
  • 16-06-2014 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I have a client who wishes to pay for a service by way of monthly direct debit.

Is it just a case of me giving him bank account details, the amount and date of monthly payment and then he brings this into his bank?

He doesn't do online banking.
    Just need to know if there's anything extra I need to do.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Assuming you're a registered business, you'll need to be referring to here for information on SEPA Direct Debits

If the payment arrangement between you and the client, then you're essentially talking about your client setting up a standing order.

Hard to give better advice without knowing more about your current relationship

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Spocker wrote: »
    Assuming you're a registered business, you'll need to be referring to here for information on SEPA Direct Debits

If the payment arrangement between you and the client, then you're essentially talking about your client setting up a standing order.

Hard to give better advice without knowing more about your current relationship

Sorry, I should have been more clear....

Yes, it's a registered business. I am providing professional service on 12 month contract. The customer wishes to pay via monthly direct debit as opposed to up-front annual fee.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Ah, thats clearer. I'll leave it to other posters so, I don't know enough about business banking to offer any more advice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's not a simple process to accept direct debits. You need to register with your bank as an originator, and there are quite a few steps to go through to do this. Then you would need to prepare a SEPA Direct Debit file every month for submission to your bank.

Would it not make more sense for the customer to pay you by Credit Transfer? If it's the same amount every month, they can just set up a monthly standing order for the year. If the amount varies, they'd just have to do a transfer every month.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

28064212 wrote: »
    It's not a simple process to accept direct debits. You need to register with your bank as an originator, and there are quite a few steps to go through to do this. Then you would need to prepare a SEPA Direct Debit file every month for submission to your bank.

Would it not make more sense for the customer to pay you by Credit Transfer? If it's the same amount every month, they can just set up a monthly standing order for the year. If the amount varies, they'd just have to do a transfer every month.

Didn't realise it was so complicated, thanks for the info.

Yes, a standing order is the way to go in that case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement