Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard-Drive Repair?

Options
  • 16-06-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Anybody know of anyone that can repair/look at an external hard-drive in the Cork area.
    It's a Toshiba Iomega and I have a feeling it took a hop on the floor (Pretty sure it did actually but not definite).
    Barring a repair anyone know of any data recovery crowd that might do so reasonably. I'd estimate that there's up to 50,000 photos on it :(

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

dont know about cork but i know two places in limerick

www.dbcomp.ie

www.limerickcomputers.ie

it'll be pricey to recover data though

is the drive clicking?

have you tried taking it out of the case and connecting it directly to a pc using sata?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Thanks Dunworth.
    I've given it to a guy to have a look at but he's yet to come back to me. Looks like it's going to have to be a Data Recovery job though as it doesn't seem to be clicking/spinning.
    Hopefully he might be able to do something but it's not looking too good.

Thanks again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Anyone know any place in Donegal or Derry to recovery photos/data from (seagate) external hard drive? Thanks.
    Anybody know of anyone that can repair/look at an external hard-drive in the Cork area.
    It's a Toshiba Iomega and I have a feeling it took a hop on the floor (Pretty sure it did actually but not definite).
    Barring a repair anyone know of any data recovery crowd that might do so reasonably. I'd estimate that there's up to 50,000 photos on it :(

Thanks in advance..

Hi, did you get all your photos recovered? If so did it cost you much?

Same thing has just happened to me. My sister dropped my seagate external hard drive 1tb with thousands of photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

The same thing has just happened to me with a Toshiba external hard drive.
    When I plug it in, the blue light keeps flashing and I can feel it vibrate inside as if it's working, but I get an error message saying the disk has malfunctioned and I can't see the drive in 'my documents'.

What should be my course of action to repair it? It looks like from the above there are places I can go to recover data? I'm based in Dublin so I presume these are easy to find. Would it be expensive?

There are 10 years of photos and 8 months of wedding planning on this disk, along with loads more stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

kkcatlou wrote: »
    The same thing has just happened to me with a Toshiba external hard drive.
    When I plug it in, the blue light keeps flashing and I can feel it vibrate inside as if it's working, but I get an error message saying the disk has malfunctioned and I can't see the drive in 'my documents'.

What should be my course of action to repair it? It looks like from the above there are places I can go to recover data? I'm based in Dublin so I presume these are easy to find. Would it be expensive?

There are 10 years of photos and 8 months of wedding planning on this disk, along with loads more stuff!

If its not making any funny noises, e.g. clicking/beeping, you may not need expensive data recovery. If it has a mains power supply it will be a 3.5" drive inside, otherwise a 2.5". Look for a new enclosure or cable to test the drive inside, if you're comfortable with trying to disassemble it. Otherwise ask a computer shop or your local techygeek.

Does it show in DiskManagement?

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If its not making any funny noises, e.g. clicking/beeping, you may not need expensive data recovery. If it has a mains power supply it will be a 3.5" drive inside, otherwise a 2.5". Look for a new enclosure or cable to test the drive inside, if you're comfortable with try to disassemble it. Otherwise ask a computer shop or your local techygeek.

Does it show in DiskManagement?

Thanks a million.
    How do I find Disk Management? Sorry I am a bit clueless.

Also, it isn't making a clicking noise, and looks/ sounds like it's working fine. I have tried it in another laptop and I get the exact same malfunction message.
    It isn't connected to a mains, just to the laptop with a USB cable, so are you saying I could another cable that is the same?

Thanks, and apologies for stupid questions.

Phew it's working again now. But I am copying all the important stuff onto my work computer just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your help.

Consider using a cloud-based backup as well. Disks break, computers get stolen, buildings burn down, etc.

kkcatlou wrote: »
    How do I find Disk Management? Sorry I am a bit clueless.
    It isn't connected to a mains, just to the laptop with a USB cable, so are you saying I could another cable that is the same?

Thanks, and apologies for stupid questions.

For future reference, re Disk Management, right-click Computer, choose Manage from the menu, then Disk Management is a section near the bottom of the left pane.

USB cables can get faults. A 2.5" drive sometimes has a Y cable with 2 plugs on the computer end to supply more power than you can get from 1 USB socket.

No stupid questions found! Not everybody knows everything.

Advertisement