Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

THE HEAT, I feel liek I AM GOING INSANE...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The actual air temperature may be above the recorded temperature. No real idea how it works but here you get 2 temperatures readings. One is the real temperature and the other is the "Sensacion Termica" or ST which is sort of what the temperature feels like to the human body based on humidity, wind and other atmospheric factors. Have had 40c+ temperature and nearly 50c ST. You know that the important one is the ST as that's what you are actually going to experience. Walking outside in 50 ST needs to be a well regulated exercise, if it's the weekend during the day I only venture out to air conditioned cinemas, swimming pools or shopping malls.

It's something like the wind chill temperature in Ireland in winter, were it might only be 5C but it feels ball freezingly intolerable if you're walking by the coast with a strong wind blowing in.

Doubt there is much difference in real temp and atmospherically adjusted temperatures in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Definitely cant stand the heat. Rather be cloudy and grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

cloud493 wrote: »

Apt username. :p

maguic24 wrote: »
    Apt username. :p

Exactly :pac:

I was sweating something awful during my running, and despite wearing tracksuit bottoms and a long sleeved t shirt, I still ended up sunburnt.

I was sweating something awful during my running, and despite wearing tracksuit bottoms and a long sleeved t shirt, I still ended up sunburnt.

How far did you run?

I did 5k yesterday evening, I thought I was dying when I got back to the house. :( :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Thats what happens when you don't cover your face, may I suggest a black bag:D:D:D

Not on my face, on my neck :mad:

Edit - 13k ran today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

6541 wrote: »
    Anyone notice that you get hornier in the heat ? Fair observation !

I've noticed that!

There was a tornado in Ontario yesterday. Just be thankful you guys weren't in it and only have to moan about the heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Edit - 13k ran today.

A black bag will cover your neck if placed right:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

• Advertisement

Edit - 13k ran today.

:eek: I have runners envy!! I struggled with 5k in that heat. :(

Fair play to ya! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

How come you are all out complaining about the heat - all I can do is look out the window in work and complain that I cannot get to the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

One thing I've noticed about when the temperature goes up is how annoyed some people get when you say you don't like it!

"How can you complain about this after all those months of bitter cold and rain??? :mad:"

I wasn't complaining about the cold and rain at the time! Nor did I get angry with you for doing so!

Hate the heat and sun. At no point during the frost and rain and dark skies did I complain :)

It's a great day for a wet t-shirt competition.

Mmmm......more water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

maguic24 wrote: »
    It's a great day for a wet t-shirt competition.

Mmmm......more water.

Tbh, Id just drink it at this stage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I'm enjoying listenin to yis complain about the heat, gives me something to read while I sip my ale and get a tan :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

One thing I've noticed about when the temperature goes up is how annoyed some people get when you say you don't like it!

"How can you complain about this after all those months of bitter cold and rain??? :mad:"

I know, it's really strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Hates the sun....... and runs 18K in 2 days.

Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I saw that temperatures are due to reach 30 degrees. I like the heat, I really do, but only when I choose to be in it. I'll be heading to the Mediterranean next month and I can't wait.

However, I don't like this heat when going about my daily routine. It just feels too oppressive, especially at night when trying to sleep. I wish I could enjoy it like others do though.

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    Hates the sun....... and runs 18K in 2 days.

Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Id be running if it was snowing or raining. Exercise don't stop cos of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Dropped to 19 degrees here now and cloudy - YAY :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Dont like it when it goes above 20. Its not so much the heat during the day thats the issue. Its the heat at night that bothers me. Ive been to other countries that have warmer than this as standard and was fine. Theres just something about Irish heat thats terrible. Prefer a nice cool 15ish weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

YA HAVE TA GET BURNT TA PROVE YA WERE OUT IN IT!!!
    Yeah it'll only last a week anyway! Burn your skin until you'd make a tomato jealous, winter is coming, next week!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Can't really function over about 20°. Just not made for it.

Don't understand why people assume I'd rather it was raining. Rain is not the opposite of heat! Bright, cloudless and relatively cool is A-OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

BBQ. Bloody marvellous. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I love hot weather! I'm a real sun worshipper, and I'd happily sit out in it all day if I wouldn't overheat and end up with a headache. I spent a good while out in the garden reading since Monday, and I've been getting a bit of a tan. I'll be working in the heat all weekend, so I refuse to waste it while I can enjoy it.

A wet, cloudy summer is terribly depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The sun is going down, there's hardly a cloud in the sky, its noticeably cooler, there's a nice breeze blowing over my shoulder, the cat is lying in the window trying to get in the last few rays of sunlight, I'm outside in the garden with a pint of cidona and ice, all I can hear are the birds and the odd tractor in the distance.

Its a fantastic evening out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Hate the heat. Sticky horribleness.

Time to try to get more than ten minutes of uninterrupted sleep whilst sweating my bollocks off :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

At least two weeks of this and you would be surprised how well you would adapt to it, however that's the problem, we never get two weeks or even three weeks straight.

I feel peoples pain, pity that the weather does not stay the same, giving everyone a chance to acclimatise.

PS Why is the spell checker in American English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Hate the heat. Sticky horribleness.

Time to try to get more than ten minutes of uninterrupted sleep whilst sweating my bollocks off :(

Its not the heat, check the humidity, average for Ireland is 65% even during the depths of winter, that's what makes the difference.

Check the humidity figures for 10 o'clock this evening. Met.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

However, I don't like this heat when going about my daily routine. It just feels too oppressive, especially at night when trying to sleep. I wish I could enjoy it like others do though.

Nobody enjoys it going around their daily routine. People who claim they do are either unemployed or just trying to wind you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Got burnt yesterday so I said I'd be careful today not to get roasted completely....of course I would fall asleep in the sun today. Front half of me is f*cked. I'm in terrible pain atm. I'm dreading going to sleep tonight. My upper chest and arms are really bad. And that part that joins your arms to your torso by your armpit is irritating as hell. Just as well I'm indoors for the next three days. Work is gonna be hell though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Love it. I just keep the windows open and have a nice cool shower before bed.
    Drink plenty of water and keep bottles of it in the fridge.

I don't know if I'd like it hotter though, and while people moaning constantly about it would be annoying, it's not for everyone and that's their preference which they can't control.

The stuff about other countries being way hotter is irrelevant too - this isn't other countries, what people are used to has to be factored in. If it was 13 degrees in a hot country they'd be freezing their asses off whereas that's a fairly moderate temperature here, even in early summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Try standing in the direct sun with a blazing welder in your hand spattering you with molten lumps of burney gloop. All day. While wearing a t-shirt and drenched in sweat. Today was tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

One thing I don't understand...why don't people put suncream on? :confused:

I'm pale, but not extremely pale. I have yellow toned pale skin that takes a while to burn...but still I put suncream on everyday! It takes a minute.

I just don't understand why so my people get burned when it can be so easily prevented. Do they think it looks nice :confused:

They want to prove to people in the winter the sun was here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Let the dog out in the garden hes suffering in this heat (like me more at night though) I stood outside there is a glorious breeze it was heaven if anyone is to hot strip of and go to the back gardens :P

Mmmmm so much cooler this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Mmmmm so much cooler this morning.

:( disappointed is not the word, makes doing assignments that bit easier though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Lia_lia wrote: »
    One thing I don't understand...why don't people put suncream on? :confused:

I'm pale, but not extremely pale. I have yellow toned pale skin that takes a while to burn...but still I put suncream on everyday! It takes a minute.

I just don't understand why so my people get burned when it can be so easily prevented. Do they think it looks nice :confused:

I don't get it either. Surely one look out the window would tell people that it's a really sunny day, so they might get burned. I was slathered in factor 30 yesterday, and I tan more than I burn.

Sad to see clouds again today though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Going home on the 6th. Wonder will it stay nice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Going home on the 6th. Wonder will it stay nice?

It's cloudy today! :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

kfallon wrote: »
    It's cloudy today! :(

Thank FUCK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Can't wait to move to warmer climates again, those few days of heat were amazing :) everyone is in such a better mood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The sooner my regular sleeping pattern returns the better.

Have the body clock of Buddy the Elf in this hot weather. Last night I got the full 40 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Thank FUCK!

Gowayoutofit!!! :mad:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

kfallon wrote: »
    Gowayoutofit!!! :mad:

I can't help it, I'm a furnace, I'm always 5deg hotter than everyone else. I'm the person going round in a t-shirt in March, I LOVE cold weather, was in Berlin in January, -12 degrees, absolute bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

It's Fcuking drizzling:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

20 degrees outside and overcast. Meh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement