Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep getting "Page not found" errors

Options
  • 16-06-2014 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

When opening web pages, I am constantly getting "Page not found" type errors. If I press F5 a couple of times, the page comes up. The issue is random and is happening on multiple devices and PC's (I have tried with three PC's and one phone). It is very annoying and has only started occurring in the last week or so. 

The connection to the internet shows as up and is genuinely up all the time. I know this because when connected via VPN to my work, this issue never occurs. While my VPN is up and running on a laptop, my other PC (not using a VPN) is constantly getting the issue. As soon as I disconnect my laptop from the work VPN, the issue starts occurring there also. 

The issue occurs over wireless connection and direct wired (Ethernet) connection. I have tried  turning off and back on the modem and that did not help. I have cleared browser caches and tried different browsers (I didn't expect this to help as the issue is occurring on multiple devices, but I was desperate). 

I'm using Eircom eFiber.

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Have you tried going into the router and checking the settings. What it sounds like is the router firewall settings are too high. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Thanks for the reply Ken. The settings seem fine and haven't been changed since I got this installed a few months ago. See screen shots. 

In the Firewall option, there's nothing under protocol and nothing under Access Control.

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Ken. The settings seem fine and haven't been changed since I got this installed a few months ago. See screen shots. 

In the Firewall option, there's nothing under protocol and nothing under Access Control.

Many thanks

Dang, was hoping it was something simple for you cause you wont get a reply here till the morning. 

ken wrote: »

Many thanks

Dang, was hoping it was something simple for you cause you wont get a reply here till the morning. 
    Thanks Ken,

I really appreciate the reply. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

That's weird. Am having the same issues the last few weeks aswell. Pages not loading on the first go, sometimes taking multiple refreshes. Again happening on different devices. Tried all the normal fixes but I reckon it is either a failing router or something to do with the DNS settings. Interesting to hear that it is just not me!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ive been getting this too. I thought it was just my ageing pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

There is a thread on here about changing the DNS settings, I tried but not being too technical failed. Went on live chat to the technical support, took them a couple of minuets to do their end. No problem since the new settings were put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

When opening web pages, I am constantly getting "Page not found" type errors. If I press F5 a couple of times, the page comes up. The issue is random and is happening on multiple devices and PC's (I have tried with three PC's and one phone). It is very annoying and has only started occurring in the last week or so. 

The connection to the internet shows as up and is genuinely up all the time. I know this because when connected via VPN to my work, this issue never occurs. While my VPN is up and running on a laptop, my other PC (not using a VPN) is constantly getting the issue. As soon as I disconnect my laptop from the work VPN, the issue starts occurring there also. 

The issue occurs over wireless connection and direct wired (Ethernet) connection. I have tried  turning off and back on the modem and that did not help. I have cleared browser caches and tried different browsers (I didn't expect this to help as the issue is occurring on multiple devices, but I was desperate). 

I'm using Eircom eFiber.

Any help much appreciated!

Hi 3rdDegree

I would highly recommend contacting technical support as the issues may well be user specific and may involve some change in your settings. Technical support can be contacted on 1890260260 or via webchat here: [font=Calibri","sans-serif]http://www.eircom.net/about/contact/

Thanks

Al[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

also having the same problems, but also have issues when streaming radio, and tv on netflix, sky go have to refresh constantly until i can use them, and on multiple devices. only seemed to start after the outage a few weeks ago. 

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I just got sent a new modem.  If anything, the problem is worse. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

hoodwinked wrote: »
    also having the same problems, but also have issues when streaming radio, and tv on netflix, sky go have to refresh constantly until i can use them, and on multiple devices. only seemed to start after the outage a few weeks ago. 
    Hi hoodwinked

Sorry to hear this. To troubleshoot this, I would advise contacting Technical Support on 1890 260260 between 8am- 10pm 7 days a week.

thanks
    Colm

I did contact tech support via Chat and they signed onto my modem and made some DNS changes. Things seem to be better now.

Thank you.

I did contact tech support via Chat and they signed onto my modem and made some DNS changes. Things seem to be better now.

Thank you.
    Hi 3rdDegree

Thanks for letting me know :)

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I had the same problem and it was with the DNS. The default DNS settings had problems recognizing sub-domains. eg it would connect fine to bbc.co,uk but would not be able to find news.bbc.co.uk etc

Anyway thanks to the great help from boards.ie users (not eircom staff on boards, but other users) I was able to correct the DNS settings,

To be honest I think that it is outrageous that eircom can sell a product like eFibre without the correct DNS settings and even worse that there is still no online accounts available for this product. I mean seriously how long can it take?

dmeehan wrote: »
    I had the same problem and it was with the DNS. The default DNS settings had problems recognizing sub-domains. eg it would connect fine to bbc.co,uk but would not be able to find news.bbc.co.uk etc

Anyway thanks to the great help from boards.ie users (not eircom staff on boards, but other users) I was able to correct the DNS settings,

To be honest I think that it is outrageous that eircom can sell a product like eFibre without the correct DNS settings and even worse that there is still no online accounts available for this product. I mean seriously how long can it take?

Hi dmeehan

Technical support have informed me that they can resolve the recent issues with DNS, I'm sorry you were not offered a solution to your issues from myself though I am glad other users on this forum were able to help.

I can confirm that there are plans to bring a 'my eircom' online account service to efibre customers soon - I don't have a launch date but it should be within the next few weeks.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I can confirm that there are plans to bring a 'my eircom' online account service to efibre customers soon - I don't have a launch date but it should be within the next few weeks.
    That's not really good enough. All IT projects have a delivery date, why wont eircom tell us this projects delivery date?

dmeehan wrote: »

That's not really good enough. All IT projects have a delivery date, why wont eircom tell us this projects delivery date?
    Hi dmeehan

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment with this, I've been advised by online operations that there is yet to be an agreed for launch - all dates are currently provisional at the moment as in all projects unforeseen circumstances may from time to time appear.

As soon as there is an agreed date I'll make sure to make the announcement :)

Al

Advertisement