Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help finding Birth Mom, Dublin Ireland

Options
  • 16-06-2014 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

So I am 21 years old and I am assisting my mother in her search. We are new to this search and this website.

My mother is 52 years old and was born on July 23, 1962. She was adopted from the St. Patrick's Guild in Co. Dublin Ireland, from the Care of the Irish Sisters of Charity at 18 months so sometime in/around Dec-Jan of 1963/1964 and sent to America. She also spent time in the St. Patrick's Infant Dietic Hospital Nursery.

An Irish cousin of the adopted family, John Mah brought my mother over to her adopted parents during that time frame. My adoptive family went through all the "legal" aspects as of purchasing a lawyer and having her successfully adopted into the family, so we have been told.

My mother came over with an Irish Passport that says her Birthplace was in Sasana, England? And with her initial name...which is Anne Finn. It has since been changed during her adoption process to Maryanne Upton

Anyways, when she became an American citizen at the age of 10, her vital statics said that her place of origin is in Dulwich, England...

We have a brief booklet of her infant vaccinations and very brief medical history.

My mother wrote to the nuns of St. Patrick's Guild about 10ish years ago around 1996 to find if she had any pertinent medical history, but they gave her very little information if anything at all. She wrote to Sr. Gabriel Murphy... All they told her was that she had a healthy and normal delivery, her birth weight and height, the tests she had completed, as well as an x-ray and treatment for an abrasion she received when she was around a year old.

My mother only has her adoption birth certificate,she does not have her official birth certificate. So she does not know the names of her birth/natural parents, or anything about them at all.

my adoptive grandma would be crushed if she knew we are doing this search she's 85... but my mother has noticed medical issues reoccurring such as thyroid cancer, etc and she's been waiting so long to see if she has any other family members.

We currently live in NJ, USA. I read online that St. Patrick's Guild has closed... and that they are moving elsewhere for records? I read it on this website...(whoops can't link) Im assuming the adoption authority of Ireland

How do we go about this, where can we start? Does anyone have any information? And why did a vital stat have Dulwich England, yet her passport says her birth place was on Sasana England, but its an Irish passport. Was that common then during the time frame for women to have their children sent to various adoption agencies? If she received an Irish passport, was one of her parents an Irish citizen? I am not sure as to how that process works.

Has anyone had any success with searches like this? If you could tell us where to start, or if you have had any luck, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

i imagine her mother was an irish catholic in uk sent to ireland for her pregnancy.-st patricks guild was not a mother and baby home-St. Patrick's Guild did not run a Mother and Baby home. Instead babies, earmarked for adoption, were sent to St. Patrick's Infant Hospital, Temple Hill, Blackrock, Co. Dublin from certain Mother & Baby Homes & private nursing homes before being adopted.
    please read adoptionalliance website for tracing guidelines- best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ClareDH

The reason passport says Sasana / England is that because the word 'Sasana' means 'England' in Irish (Gaeilge). It is not a place in England.
    With your mothers birth name and Date of Birth she may be able to get her original birth cert on the General Registry Office website.
    Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MLS

Try calling the Adoption Service at the HSE, they seem to have most of the records now. Telephone: 051 860048

Good lunch. I am helping my mum trace her family, but she was born in 1939 so rat how difficult.

Advertisement