Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bid question

Options
  • 16-06-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Put a bid in on a house for sale at 335,000, down the country, no other offers on it in the last year,very interested in it so said I'd chance 285,000 as a first throw of dice, that was rejected so I arranged a second viewing. Confirmed I was interested but said I wouldn't go to 335,000 but might meet half way if the seller was open to negotiation. Estate agent said he'd talk to seller and get back to me last week. Then today house disappears off daft etc and I ring estate agent and he says it's sold....? Are they not obliged to call me re my first offer- seems very strange?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Why would they be obliged to call you?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

I presume if I was the only bidder at 285000 and there was a higher offer I'd be contacted to see if I'd go higher than that? Or am I completely wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you would be contacted as they would like to up the price or get a bidding war done. Sounds like the seller heard about you, made him/her realise they won't get what they want and said to hell with it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

TheDriver wrote: »
    you would be contacted as they would like to up the price or get a bidding war done. Sounds like the seller heard about you, made him/her realise they won't get what they want and said to hell with it.....

That's what I thought but in the world of estate agents nothing would surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

That's what I thought but in the world of estate agents nothing would surprise me
    Keep a check on the property price register. There could be a substantial delay in it appearing on there (assuming it is actually sold of course) but it should turn up eventually. I think it would be interesting for you - in the event that it actually was sold - to see what the actual sales price was.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Put a bid in on a house for sale at 335,000, down the country, no other offers on it in the last year,very interested in it so said I'd chance 285,000 as a first throw of dice, that was rejected so I arranged a second viewing. Confirmed I was interested but said I wouldn't go to 335,000 but might meet half way if the seller was open to negotiation. Estate agent said he'd talk to seller and get back to me last week. Then today house disappears off daft etc and I ring estate agent and he says it's sold....? Are they not obliged to call me re my first offer- seems very strange?

If the sale price is above 335,000 I don't think they would bother calling you as you said your limit. However if it is below it and in the range you were interested in paying I would expect the estate agent to contact you so as to start a bidding

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Put a bid in on a house for sale at 335,000
    You presume they want to sell it. A lot of people have put their house on the market to appease their bank, at stupid prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Perhaps a cash buyer came in at asking price and the seller wanted a quick deal. Going in 15% under the asking price (assuming the asking price is inline with the market) at the moment could be viewed as being a messer. 2 years ago when nothing was selling you could get away with that but with the way the market is at the moment most properties seem to be going for about 5-10% over asking in the area I'm looking in anyway.

Did you not ask the EA why he didn't get back to you when there was another offer, they really are the only ones who can answer your question, we can only guess.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Advertisement