Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nun and former Ton Ton Macoute sexes up - to sell herself and her Albums!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Bit like Bono, great singer but painful to listen to when not singing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What's a Ton Ton Macoute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kneemos wrote: »

Tonton Macoute were the enforcers of Papa Doc Duvalier in the 60s and 1970s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

She's one of those lucky women who actually look better without the effort.

She was stunningly beautiful when she was younger. (Not saying she's ugly now)

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Mother Bernadette Mary dons a catsuit, wig, leathers and dominatrix look to do exactly what she has railed about during her life.

Is she a genuine fruitcake or a manipulator extraordinaire? Or perhaps both?

http://www.herald.ie/news/nothing-compares-to-sineads-ability-to-keep-changing-her-mind-30329753.html

I think the theme is women can be the boss.Not sure many people are listening though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

A band fronted by Sinead in the mid 80s. Kinda Soul Funk
    mike65 wrote: »
    Tonton Macoute were the enforcers of Papa Doc Duvalier in the 60s and 1970s

Ah Jasus mike65 ......... you've become a cynic. Roll a big wan and chill :D
    She's one of those lucky women who actually look better without the effort.

She was stunningly beautiful when she was younger. (Not saying she's ugly now)

Yes, must say that her slightly androgynous look on the sleeve of the Nothing Compares 2 U album is attractive. But the amount of bile and personal demons exiting her cake hole has poisoned the purity - for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

wazky wrote: »
    Bit like Bono, great singer but painful to listen to when not singing.

and also while singing.

I think the theme is women can be the boss.Not sure many people are listening though.
    That'll do me fine. Girls on top ......... WEHEY! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It sounds like some sort of tropical songbird

It sounds like some sort of tropical songbird

I think you mean a Ton Ton Macaw:

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/006/cache/macaw_617_600x450.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonton_Macoute

She looks amazing.

I'd say she's hard work though.

Where's the collar gone
    She needs to pick a cause and stick with it,all this chopping and changing means people may lose interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Sinead O'Connor remains the hypocrite she always was.

I really find her carry on just childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Magaggie wrote: »
    She looks amazing.

I'd say she's hard work though.
    It's called Photoshop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

That SkinHead thing is as Mad as a box of Frogs. FFS ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

She's an attention whore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not sure Sinead O'Connor has the best mental health, but anyone who says she can't sing is deaf or delusional. The woman most certainly has a good voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

spurious wrote: »
    I'm not sure Sinead O'Connor has the best mental health, but anyone who says she can't sing is deaf or delusional. The woman most certainly has a good voice.

Not deaf or delusional (unlike Sinead) but she has an ordinary voice. Never understood her success. Her raspy breathing whilst singing is very irritating :mad:

• Advertisement

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    But the amount of bile and personal demons exiting her cake hole has poisoned the purity - for me anyway.
    Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I really find her carry on just childish.
    FearDark wrote: »
    She's an attention whore.

She's a lifelong sufferer of bi-polar disorder, and from the little I know about it it seems that seeking attention is one of the symptoms.

You don't have to like her, but she needs to be cut a bit of slack, she's an unwell person. It's not the same as being an attention whore.

Candie wrote: »
    She's a lifelong sufferer of bi-polar disorder, and from the little I know about it it seems that seeking attention is one of the symptoms.

You don't have to like her, but she needs to be cut a bit of slack, she's an unwell person. It's not the same as being an attention whore.

You better contact her and let her know because she has said she isn't bipolar. She was diagnosed with it but got other medical opinions saying she wasn't.

As somebody who has gone through mental health issues it doesn't excuse her behaviour. She may be unwell in bouts but her outspoken views and stupidity are not all a result of her own mental health issues.

You should probably not talk about bi-polar if you don't know anything especially when saying somebody is a life long sufferer. You only suffer sometimes and it doesn't stop you from being yourself. More akin to being drunk for poor judgment and overly excitable.

You better contact her and let her know because she has said she isn't bipolar. She was diagnosed with it but got other medical opinions saying she wasn't.

You're right, she was apparently misdiagnosed. She does state that she's suffered badly from depression since a young age.
    As somebody who has gone through mental health issues it doesn't excuse her behaviour. She may be unwell in bouts but her outspoken views and stupidity are not all a result of her own mental health issues.

It doesn't excuse anything, it might help explain it though.
    You should probably not talk about bi-polar if you don't know anything especially when saying somebody is a life long sufferer. You only suffer sometimes and it doesn't stop you from being yourself. More akin to being drunk for poor judgment and overly excitable.

I was repeating what I've read her say herself. The diagnosis has changed but she's still not a well person and just calling her an attention whore or childish isn't the kindest way of referring to anyone, specially someone affected by depression.

I was repeating what I've read her say herself. The diagnosis has changed but she's still not a well person and just calling her an attention whore or childish isn't the kindest way of referring to anyone, specially someone affected by depression.
    If that is her behaviour while she dictates to tell people how they should live their lives then she is publicly going out then it is correct to point it out. She does go seeking attention telling people what they are doing wrong.
    Having a mental illness does not excuse or omit her from criticism. She acts childishly so I see no problem pointing it out. She is a hypocrite. Why do I have to be kind to her? She isn't kind to people who oppose her view

If that is her behaviour while she dictates to tell people how they should live their lives then she is publicly going out then it is correct to point it out. She does go seeking attention telling people what they are doing wrong.
    Having a mental illness does not excuse or omit her from criticism. She acts childishly so I see no problem pointing it out. She is a hypocrite. Why do I have to be kind to her? She isn't kind to people who oppose her view

Being kind is easy.

Other people don't have to be kind, but if you're a kind person you take in the whole person and apply some filter of compassion where applicable. People don't have to be kind to me for me to behave kindly towards them.

She can say whatever she wants about how I 'should' live my life, I don't have to listen or obey her. I can choose to decide she's a manipulative hypocrite, or I can choose to cut her a bit of slack based on her difficult life and circumstances and allow for the possibility that her behaviour is affected by these things and that she's probably not an intrinsically bad or hypocritical person, because thats the kind thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Being kind is easy.

Other people don't have to be kind, but if you're a kind person you take in the whole person and apply some filter of compassion where applicable. People don't have to be kind to me for me to behave kindly towards them.

The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
    It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
    Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
    It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.

Being kind is easy.

She can say whatever she wants about how I 'should' live my life, I don't have to listen or obey her. I can choose to decide she's a manipulative hypocrite, or I can choose to cut her a bit of slack based on her difficult life and circumstances and allow for the possibility that her behaviour is affected by these things and that she's probably not an intrinsically bad or hypocritical person, because thats the kind thing to do.
    Your misguided choice is yours. I am not Christian and don't believe in the turn the other cheek stuff. Everybody else has their own moral code and I will not cut her any compassion because she doesn't give it to others.
    I have met her on many occasions and she simply isn't very nice and an embarrassment to her family.
    Seeing as I have mental health issues then you can give me the slack and I'll throw it your face as I find it insulting that you would devalue my view because I have a medical condition. You aren't even aware of how insulting what you are saying is.

The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
    It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
    Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
    It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.

There's a Shakespeare quote for everything :)
    Your misguided choice is yours. I am not Christian and don't believe in the turn the other cheek stuff. Everybody else has their own moral code and I will not cut her any compassion because she doesn't give it to others.
    I have met her on many occasions and she simply isn't very nice and an embarrassment to her family.
    Seeing as I have mental health issues then you can give me the slack and I'll throw it your face as I find it insulting that you would devalue my view because I have a medical condition. You aren't even aware of how insulting what you are saying is.

I'm not Christian either. I'm sorry you think I'm being insulting, it's not my intention. I just think the world would be a much better place if we employed the benefit of the doubt a little more, and tried to act with kindness, even if we don't feel it.

You don't have to throw anything in my face since I can assure you I'm not throwing anything in yours, even if you choose to interpret it that way. I haven't devalued anything about your opinion, you however, have decided to call me misguided.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Would you say this attitude is largely driven by your mental health issues?

• Advertisement

Would you say this attitude is largely driven by your mental health issues?
    No it doesn't rule my life and make everything I say invalid. That is why I find it so insulting that somebody without any understanding comes along and says she should say what she wants as her mental health issues excuse it. Saying it isn't an excuse and slack should be given is the same thing just a play on words without realising you just don't excuse.

She is more then responsible for her own behaviour and willingly stands by what she said in the past. She doesn't make any excuses so why somebody else would come on making excuses and think this is ok is insulting to a lot of people.

No it doesn't rule my life and make everything I say invalid. That is why I find it so insulting that somebody without any understanding comes along and says she should say what she wants as her mental health issues excuse it. Saying it isn't an excuse and slack should be given is the same thing just a play on words without realising you just don't excuse.

She is more then responsible for her own behaviour and willingly stands by what she said in the past. She doesn't make any excuses so why somebody else would come on making excuses and think this is ok is insulting to a lot of people.

Thats great and all, but it's not actually what I said. And I never made excuses.

As I think you probably realise.

You don't have to throw anything in my face since I can assure you I'm not throwing anything in yours, even if you choose to interpret it that way. I haven't devalued anything about your opinion, you however, have decided to call me misguided.
    Just because you don't think what you are saying is an insult doesn't mean it is not. You have said because she has a mental health issue it is a valid excuse for her behaviour. Pussy footing about the wording doesn't change what you are saying. You are diminishing her views and that of any person with a mental issues as something that can be ignored. That is insulting whether you think it is or not. I suggest you refrain from saying to people in public as many people may not react so kindly and excuse ignorance and giving you some slack.

Just because you don't think what you are saying is an insult doesn't mean it is not. You have said because she has a mental health issue it is a valid excuse for her behaviour. Pussy footing about the wording doesn't change what you are saying. You are diminishing her views and that of any person with a mental issues as something that can be ignored. That is insulting whether you think it is or not. I suggest you refrain from saying to people in public as many people may not react so kindly and excuse ignorance and giving you some slack.

For the last time, I know what I mean when I say reason and not excuse. As nothing I said was meant as an insult, it's up to you to be insulted, or to take things in the spirit they are said. Your decision.

I do not diminish her or anyone elses views by considering the source, as most of us do in one way or another. No where have I said anyone should be ignored. You're making stuff up to suit what you want to say here, and it reflects badly on you.

I kindly suggest you address whats actually being said, instead of what you imagine is being said. I'm done engaging with you on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Just because you don't think what you are saying is an insult doesn't mean it is not. You have said because she has a mental health issue it is a valid excuse for her behaviour. Pussy footing about the wording doesn't change what you are saying.

Ray you're completely twisting this out of all proportion. Candie never said Sinead O' Connor's mental health issues excused her behavior, but rather that it explains her behavior, and it does, to a certain extent, along with a number of other contributing factors.

You are diminishing her views and that of any person with a mental issues as something that can be ignored. That is insulting whether you think it is or not. I suggest you refrain from saying to people in public as many people may not react so kindly and excuse ignorance and giving you some slack.

I think you're feeling insulted based on your misinterpretation of Candie's post, and extrapolating that out to say Candie is insulting anyone with mental health issues, is just nonsense, no two ways about it. You can only speak for yourself about your own issues, but you can't say someone else will react the same way you have done, which is quite ironic really given you dismissed Sinead O' Connor as childish.

Advertisement