Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fostering dogs/pups

• 16-06-2014 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

We have made tentative enquiries about fostering over the summer holidays. We have a one year old dog and a cat. We wanted to test the waters and see if we were suited to having two dogs/how our dog would react. We initially asked just for dogs but they apparently have quite a few pups. We will be getting a home visit soon so are there any questions we should ask or tips people have in regard to fostering. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I guess the obvious ones to ask would be
    - is the incoming dog vaccinated etc (assume your dog is)?
    - is the dog used to cats - they may not know yet - in which case, you need to be able to return on the spot, if its a problem for your cat
    - treated for fleas?
    - what vet to take the dog to, if it has ongoing med issues. What vet to take the dog to, if an emergency/problem. Payment process at that vet?
    - If the dog is underweight (as is often the case) a detailed feeding regime and diet?
    - who provides the food?
    - who provides the bedding/leashes etc?
    - contact number of rescue in case of issues/questions
    - process for potential owners 'viewing' the dog/when etc

If its a litter of puppies, its a whole new ball game!

How is your dog with other dogs? Is s/he well socialized? You may need to ask to foster a bitch or a dog depending on your dogs inclinations. You should prob also discuss your dogs personality with the rescue people - e.g. if he's timid you dont want a very in-your-face kind of foster dog etc.

so great if you can foster a dog - it means that the dog will be used to being well treated etc thus increasing its chances of finding a new forever home - apart from giving a dog a chance - let us know how you get on? Good Luck!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I haven't time to post much now, but there is one, well two, pieces of gear that are vital for fosterers, and indeed anyone bringing a new dog into a house with other dogs and/or cats.
    And that is, a crate. Or my personal preference, a puppy playpen.
    Worth their weight in gold I tells ya, and generally only needed until everyone knows each other, and more's the point, until everyone trusts each other :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Thanks guys, we had our visit and I had all the questions answered! Thanks for the list aonb.

Our dog is good with other dogs after initially barking at them for a minute or two, but would relish the company.

We have a crate and the place we would be fostering for asked that we crate train pups if given them. Our preference was for dogs but we said we would help out with pups if they were stuck. So all we have to do now is wait and see if they need us!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

Another handy tip when fostering another dog is,don't just bring new dog

straight into your house.Let the two dogs meet outside your dogs territory

and maybe even go for a short walk with them,before bringing new dog

into your house.Some dogs don't care about other strange dogs coming

into their home but some won't like it at all.Also if you have a cat,unless

you know foster dog is good with cats,pups will be a better option to foster.

Less stress on your cat:)

Update..Well we had our first foster dog but it didn't go as well as we hoped. It was to be a fixed term foster as there was a home lined up for her but they weren't ready for her yet. The foster dog and our dog didn't get on. The foster dog kept chasing our dog away and growled at her when she came too near.
    It was a pity as it was a nice dog who at some stage had been taught tricks but was extremely strong on the lead. Kids were wary of her and the cat was terrified (the dog was frightened of our cat and cried when it hissed).

We're not sure whether to try again...our dog was out of sorts for a couple of days afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

How did you introduce them OP?

I haven't had a foster for ages but am getting one next week for 10 days. Excited! :D

I introduced them at a the kennels. Let them sniff for a few mins while I talked to the staff member. I put them separately in the car. At home I let the foster dog into the garden on her own with me and let our dog sniff her scent in the hall and get cuddles from the kids. Then I played with the two of them in the garden. The foster dog was a resource garder so that wasn't successful.
    They were fine on walks. I think maybe if I was doing an introduction again I'd make sure that I had another adult with me rather than just the kids!

Good luck with it toadfly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

shame your first experience of fostering didnt work out Jazbee. Dogs like humans have their personalities, not all dogs will get on well together. Is your own dog well socialized/good with other dogs as a rule?
    Do try again - its so important that dogs get fostered - its multiplies their chances of finding a good home. You were unlucky this time, but maybe try a bitch with your dog next time? Maybe talk to the rescue staff, and explain that your laid back dog needs another laid back dog.
    Did you discuss the issue with the rescue staff - be a bit more selective next time they ask you to foster - see what the personality of the dog is like for a day or two before taking it any longer. Your own dog does not need the hassle/stress of a stranger coming in and upsetting his routine (and the routine of you/your family) The incoming dog is scared in its new environment too, so its going to be worried in its initial approach to your resident dog too.

It was good of your to try the fostering route - as I say, it can be very rewarding and you know you are giving a dog a better chance if you foster it.

Thanks aonb, our bitch is quite good with other dogs..after initially barking at them for a few seconds. She loves to play and is generally best suited to dogs of the same size or a little bigger. She seems to have no dog/bitch preference.

We should have asked more questions to the rescue about the foster dog. As it turned out (we spoke to a different staff member) she was a dog who apparently only gets on with some dogs. We only ended up keeping her for a day and one overnight.
    They have left the ball in our court re fostering again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jazbee wrote: »
    As it turned out (we spoke to a different staff member) she was a dog who apparently only gets on with some dogs.

:eek:
    Jeez Jazbee, that was a rather ill-considered move by the rescue, I hope it doesn't put you off in future.
    I think you'd be wayyyy better off aiming for a young, sub-adult dog, around the 4-8 month mark? Not a puppy, but still enough of an eejit to get a fool's pardon from your dogs? I'd certainly be aiming for youngsters, certainly younger than your own.
    Don't forget the importance of a crate or playpen! It'll get you over that initial hump of trying to integrate the dogs in the first week, allowing them to be with each other without being right in each other's faces.

• Advertisement

Yeah I wasn't delighted with them when I found out. I think you may be right re the age thing. We have a crate so we would definitely utilise that if we take another foster.
    We happened to be at another rescue place after the event and the lady there gave us a good visual run down on how to make the initial intro run smoother.
    So we're wiser at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Peppa

Just reading this thread and have a question re. fostering - do they allow you to foster if you work f/t? Currently only 2 days where no-one would be home but this may change in the future. Love dogs and had two of the most adorable mutts ever. They are gone now and I am not willing to make the long term commitment again at this point. They could never be replaced. I keep wondering about fostering but just not sure.

After the summer I hope to be working p/t ( 9-3 couple days a wk).The rescue we are fostering for said that it would be ok to foster older dogs if I was working but not young dogs. Saying that I have a lovely neighbour who will let our dog out/give it cuddles if we are away for more than 4 hours.
    I'm not sure what other rescues rules would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Peppa

Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

It would depend on the dog and the rescue. Your best bet would be to speak to the rescue. If you had someone who is able to call in on the dog while you are working i doubt the rescue would rule you out. I'd definatly go for older dog. I adopted a ten year old dog and he's so easy to mind, he loves his walks but will also happily sleep all day if i don't wake him!

Advertisement