Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want my Website to open in a new window and as a flipable book

• 16-06-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

Ok. So I have my portfolio online and recently I uploaded my PDF portfolio as an embedded issu book. Works really well. Then I thought, can I go a step further and have my site be just that on its own?

So ideally I'd like to be able to type my web address into the address bar, hit return and then this book appears as the webpage. With indesign you can embed hyperlinks and shortcuts etc so I think it could work quite well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'd like to keep it as minimal as possible so that's why I'd like to move away from an imbedded issu window (has ads on the side) and do my own version.

Thanks for any comments!

B

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Loads of flip book plugins on Codecanyon, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭bemak

Loads of flip book plugins on Codecanyon, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should. :)

I know what you mean.... Just thought if it would work for any type of site that this would be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Ya, might work with a portfolio alright. Personally, I just find sites that impose this kind of stuff very off-putting. ..but it's not my site. ;):D

Avoid any of the plugins that use Flash BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

@bemak you can assign which page is your home page in wordpress anyway and in other CMS - so that's not a problem.

I think whats been said here is worth taking on board. To have a site as a flip book alone might not be the way forward. Certainly, i'd be against using it as a front page.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Could work as a proof-of-concept in a portfolio, but I'd be concerned about real-world usability.

Find some that are out there already, test them, and ask some friends to use them and get their feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

These kinds of effects are too often mere style over substance gimmicks and as Kenny Logins says can and should are not the same.

Off the top of the head they perform poorly in a number of areas: SEO, often require Flash, they can hog resources so much that they get very sluggish, they're not quite apt for the media types, useability, accessibility... but most importantly, users too often just don't like them and bail. If I was assessing a portfolio with this as the main method, it'd be a mark down unless it was as Trojan says a proof of concept or some sort of exercise.

However, all that said, there are some flip book solutions which use css3/html5/js(jquery) which don't suffer much from the points in the previous paragraph. For me, these would be interesting portfolio items.

Google flip book website css3

Advertisement