Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No toilets and no peanuts makes homer something something

• 16-06-2014 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭

http://consumerist.com/2014/06/16/jetblue-flight-diverted-after-passenger-wakes-up-starts-flipping-out/

So, this is apparently a new growing trend, with 8200 global incidents in the last year of planes diverted/disrupted due to passenger episodes. In this example the passenger seems like he came off his meds, in the video you can see some others going haywire too thinking theres a bomb on their plane and having paranoid delusions, and the guy who got so drunk the other passengers duct taped him to his seat a couple months back.

The report raising an interesting question: whats the cause for the rise in these incidents? Probably, rightly, the stress, slowly being cramped in tigher and tighter with more and more passengers into the same confined, compressed, dry space, sometimes with no food, form of entertainment, or even restrooms. And that's all after you make it through security and pay for the luggage and pack and worry about weight restriction size restriction liquid limits needing to xray your god damn shoes and find your gate and all other manner of thing.

Whats causing it and whats the solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Presumably the increase is owing to the increase in the number of people flying. The cause of each incident is dickheads and the solution is to kill them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Presumably the increase is owing to the increase in the number of people flying. The cause of each incident is dickheads and the solution is to kill them.

Well that escalated quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Overheal wrote: »
    http://consumerist.com/2014/06/16/jetblue-flight-diverted-after-passenger-wakes-up-starts-flipping-out/

So, this is apparently a new growing trend, with 8200 global incidents in the last year of planes diverted/disrupted due to passenger episodes. In this example the passenger seems like he came off his meds, in the video you can see some others going haywire too thinking theres a bomb on their plane and having paranoid delusions, and the guy who got so drunk the other passengers duct taped him to his seat a couple months back.

The report raising an interesting question: whats the cause for the rise in these incidents? Probably, rightly, the stress, slowly being cramped in tigher and tighter with more and more passengers into the same confined, compressed, dry space, sometimes with no food, form of entertainment, or even restrooms. And that's all after you make it through security and pay for the luggage and pack and worry about weight restriction size restriction liquid limits needing to xray your god damn shoes and find your gate and all other manner of thing.

Whats causing it and whats the solution?
    There are more people flying than ever before, therefore it stands to reason that there will be more incidents like these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

'merica?

I'd say the real reason is mentallers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

I worked with a guy that would go nuts maybe once a year, we never knew when it would kick off. It would take 4 or 5 guys to get him to the ground, then we had an old stretcher from an old style ambulance, (the stretcher had straps) and we would have to strap him up for an hour or so.. then send him home in a taxi ..

I can only imagine what would happen if this guy was on a Ryanair flight and he kicked off, nobody would how to handle him like we did, and he would be a real danger to himself and others.

I might add that the guy never flew, and never had a passport,, but lots of guys like him do, and do have passports.
    You never really know whom you might be sitting next to..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

They should start flying us changed up in orange jumpsuits like the yanks did with the lads going to Guantanamo. At least then I wouldn't have to worry about a seat being reclined into my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Breathalyse people before they fly and don't serve drink on board although that would be a pain for people that just have a few drinks and behave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

anncoates wrote: »
    Breathalyse people before they fly and don't serve drink on board although that would be a pain for people that just have a few drinks and behave.

If there was a no-alcohol rule for the airport and aeroplane, I reckon that would stop 90% of the incidents.

On the other hand, a good meal and a couple of beers can take the edge off, when you have to deal with queues, annoying security procedures, putting liquids into tiny containers in plastic bags, lack of legroom on board, and people trying recline their seats into your face.

Flying can be a pain in the arse these days. No wonder some people get upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TheZohan wrote: »
    'merica?

I'd say the real reason is mentallers.

The 8200 number is a global statistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Kiltennel wrote: »
    Well that escalated quickly.

I prefer to see it as having arrived at the solution quickly

• Advertisement
Advertisement