Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA SEQUENCING SCIENTIST WANTED

Options
  • 16-06-2014 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

For JOBSBRIDGE!

That at least made me laugh, I think some people are really taking the mick now, when you see jobs like that being advertised for jobsbridge why should other employers pay staff when they can get them for free, next it will be HEART SURGEON wanted for jobsbridge.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Isn't the idea to get worthwhile experience that you might not otherwise get? These are decent jobs. The ones at McDonalds, Tesco, etc. are the ones that take the mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

For JOBSBRIDGE!

That at least made me laugh, I think some people are really taking the mick now, when you see jobs like that being advertised for jobsbridge why should other employers pay staff when they can get them for free, next it will be HEART SURGEON wanted for jobsbridge.

Couldn't agree more. It doesn't stop just there though, laughable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

it wasn't tooo bad an idea in principle to give people some exposure to the work place ! but a lot of employers have seriously taken the pi** I don't think anyone given the evidence could dispute that , without a shadow they have cost jobs ! I actually did a few months with a multi a few years ago but at least they were straight n told me there was no job and I would never be taken on from the start ! they still use jobsbridge there , draw yer own conclusions, but as I said they were upfront ! and that was pre the €50 a week !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I know a few people who would be perfect for this and would have no qualms about it being jobsbridge. They're not looking for a fully qualified bioresearcher, just somebody with an interest in science, preferably with an attempt at third level. Plenty of students out there who never completed their studies and end up working in dead end jobs would grab that opportunity with both hands, chance to get back into a field of study they enjoy while gaining practical experience. Meanwhile, there are heaps of graduates just out the door who might use it as a jump step into an area of work they are geared toward. It's an amazing opportunity for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The problem is companies, big companies in no financial difficulty, using jobsbridge just because they can.
    And there is a huge quantity of them. There is little defending of this out of control joke of a scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 SchmidtMurphy

You have to be unemployed for 3months before becoming eligible for the jobbridge scheme. So it might be a great opportunity but grads have to sit on their Todd for three months first before they can avail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Why not put the government on Jobsbridge? Most of them are low-intellect Dail lifers with few real-world skills. Send them back to teaching (~26% of Dail are teachers - massive overrepresentation) or auctioneering. Let them show some solidarity with the Irish people and all that. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

As sully and others mentioned, these are the type of jobs we want to see more of on job bridge.

At the moment, the scheme is deeply flawed and needs to be reformed. You can't blame employers for taking the opportunity to get free staff, you have to blame the system that allows them to do it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jmcc wrote: »
    Why not put the government on Jobsbridge? Most of them are low-intellect Dail lifers with few real-world skills. Send them back to teaching (~26% of Dail are teachers - massive overrepresentation) or auctioneering. Let them show some solidarity with the Irish people and all that. :)

Regards...jmcc

Nothing stopping people who aren't teachers running for a seat. I hate this nonsense we always here about too many people with X background or too many people retaining 'family seats'. The people have the option who to vote for, and the people have the option to run themselves. If it's a lot of teachers, doctors, strippers or otherwise - that's their democratic right to run and our democratic right to vote them in or not.

Jobsbridge has it's pros and cons but it has helped a lot of people. I agree it needs a bit of work, reform is a funny word seeing as it's only new and shouldn't need reform but sadly it's got serious flaws. An awful lot of jobs require experience and I am always wondering 'How exactly can I get this experience?' and Jobsbridge gives people the opportunity to still be on the dole, earn a little extra and get experience in their desired role that may then in turn help them secure a permanent job outside of the dole. The state don't want more people on the dole or paying out extra, because it hits the state coffers. But something needed to be done to try get people back to work and help them get on the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sully wrote: »
    Nothing stopping people who aren't teachers running for a seat.
    Actually there is - working for a living and not having permanent jobs that are reserved in the event of losing the seat. Teachers don't have long hours in Ireland by comparison with professions and they have ongoing contact with the public. That's why 26% of the Dail are teachers of some description or other.
    I hate this nonsense we always here about too many people with X background or too many people retaining 'family seats'.
    It is true. You can see the family seats on the council too.
    The people have the option who to vote for, and the people have the option to run themselves.
    Ever wonder why the Independents now have more support in Ireland than the parties now? Those who support political parties because of what their grandparents or great grandparents did at the start of the last century are being eclipsed.
    Jobsbridge has it's pros and cons but it has helped a lot of people.
    It is being abused. I think that the people from Microsoft used to use a phrase "eating your own dogfood" to illustrate the process of software testing. I would have absolutely no problem with making the lifer parasites in Dail Eireann survive on the same payments as people on Jobsbridge. There is no real downside for scumbags abusing the whole Jobsbridge programme.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Actually there is - working for a living and not having permanent jobs that are reserved in the event of losing the seat. Teachers don't have long hours in Ireland by comparison with professions and they have ongoing contact with the public.
    Some teachers correct homework in their free time. Called free time, as they don't get paid to correct the homework.
    There is no real downside for scumbags abusing the whole Jobsbridge programme.
    Agreed.

Advertisement