Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LTV Mortgage do'er upper

Options
  • 16-06-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭

Most houses i've been looking at have been in a good condition and not needing much work however there's one im looking at now where I like the location but theres some work to be done.
    Im just wondering how are improvements considered when working at the LTV on a mortgage application.

(LTV = loan to value)
    Im going to make up an example here.

I had been presuming to get a mortgage with a LTV of <60% but now im wondering as to how its worked out.

Scenario:

If I had 100k saved and I bought a house for 200k but it needed 50k of improvements.

100k is 40% of the total outlay of 250k (lets assume value of house after 50k of work is now the buying price of 200k plus 50k)

Will I still qualify for the LTV of <60% or do the bank look at me as having a 50k deposit with a LTV of 80%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

LTV is based on purchase price, not on the value of the house after you have made home improvements.

Advertisement