Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Roof Insurance - help!

Options
  • 16-06-2014 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello there,
    My folks house - 3-bedroom terrace - has a flat-roof extension. Current insurer (last 2 years ) is 123.ie (RSA as insurers). Father doesn't recall any mention of non-standard construction or percentage flat-roof in taking on the insurance.

The policy for the cover mentions nothing specific about flat-roof or non-standard construction but defines the Building as being "the Home built with brick, stone or concrete and roofed substantially with slates, tiles or other incombustible materials." Not sure how to interpret substantially??

I've worked out that the extension represents about 28% of the total roof area.

In the exclusions clause under Storm & Flood cover it states that "We will not cover loss or damage caused ... to roofs constructed with a torch-on felt exceeding 10 years of age
    or b any other type of felt exceeding 5 years of age."

The roof is felt and was re-done about three years ago.

I'm wondering what's the worst case here? While we can live with the roof itself not being covered, can't stomach the idea that the non-declaration of the flat-roof would render the entire policy null and void.

Appreciate your informed views.
    Cheers,

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds ok to me, but the only clarication that matters is the one from your insurer.

Write to them detailing your concerns.

Advertisement