Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Close shaves? You drive a bike, you will have an off, at some stage

• 16-06-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

Been driving for maybe 25 years or so, and although I havent been hospitalized recently, in the past 15 years I have had some close calls, and some friends have lost their lives. I think its inevitable that at some stage you will crash, fall over, lose control and to a certain extent its a flip of a coin whether you come out on on top. I've been lucky enough to come out on top a few times, I had an off wearing an open face helmet which resulted in losing teeth and a portion of my lips to the road, another one I broke my collar bone and two heels. I would consider myself very experienced, but sometimes you can't see round corners if you get my drift.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yep, have had plenty of close ones and a couple that I thought it was game over.
    One that comes to mind is a time when a woman pulled out in front of me.
    When she saw me she stopped an blocked the road.
    Too late to brake,I was inches from going through the drivers door.
    Not sure what happened then but the bike went around the car somehow,bike in a tank slapper, it kicked my legs off the bike so my legs are hanging off one side off the bike.
    Guess it just wasn't my time to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I know its obvious now...but looks he had time to go around the back of the car...do you think..???....lucky though..
    Is that a baby in the front...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Geraldo

It's a very scary thing when it dawns on you you're going to crash alright. I would consider myself quite experienced and also pretty safe but I've been on the road a few times. It's never been my fault either but the moral high ground is no good if you're a corpse so you have to take lessons away from every situation.
    Luckily the worst I've had was a broken wrist but like I say, I'd consider myself an extremely safe rider. You have to respect the danger when you ride. Otherwise it can end really really bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I know its obvious now...but looks he had time to go around the back of the car...do you think..???....lucky though..

Prob not a good idea to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid something. Hitting something head on would be a lot worse.

• Advertisement

No, don't think he could have swerved, once you drop anchor you just go straight. Almost no time to react there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The stupid dopey head on ur man when he got out, how your man did not go ape on him I dont know......lucky he did not go through the passenger door and hit the young child in the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^^^^
    I had a chap pull straight out from a side road and I went straight into the drivers side and knocked me off. When I was on the deck I could here him moanin that he'd just got his drivers side fixed and look at the state of it again. Didn't even ask how I was etc etc. I just lay back and said I'm not goin anywhere, ambulance and guards were called, he was found to be 100% in the wrong with loads of witnesses. Lets just say, if he hadn't been a dick I wouldn't have prosecuted him.

Unbelieveable..........I was coming through Shankill this evening..bitch/whore/bas*ard producer is turning right into her driveway..i see her and throttle off a wee bit just in case...she starts to turn in..then decides she wont make it and stops..her front wheel, wing and half the bonnet are on my side of the road....i carry on past giving her a shake of the head....

BTW..i was in the fcuking Transit....:mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

only been on bikes 4 years and had a few close calls, about 50/50 being other people trying to kill me/my wrist getting me into trouble. only off was after i got cocky after a fast run over the gap in the wet. the road between hollywood and blessington.. was incredibly lucky to not collide with oncoming traffic as i tumbled and then slid like a turtle at *cough* 80kph (thats the speed limit around there right?), bike lost and indicator and bust a radiator but took almost nothing to get her right, all i got was a sore thumb... back protector are great!(seriously i felt like a ninja turtle sliding along headfirst toward the unknown ...ditch-hedge)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What's the law on bikes moving to the other side of the road in slow traffic? Presume it's the same, no crossing continuous white lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

MarkR wrote: »
    What's the law on bikes moving to the other side of the road in slow traffic? Presume it's the same, no crossing continuous white lines?

Dont mention the war m8 ;)

Yeah, same as a car really. Different people have different practices, I wouldn't pass a line of cars on the right if traffic was coming towards me. I used to, but not any more, I've mellowed with old age.
    I've passed on plenty of solid white lines though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Too many close shaves here from granny pulling out of her driveway stuff. I use a go pro, recharge and format after a days riding. Sounds excessive but it only takes a sec. Best decision i ever made. Another bike pal of mine swears by cameras.......he believes cages give you a wider berth if the see they are on camera. Oh on cage days, paranoia has caught up with me....have a cheap ebay dash cam too.......just my 2cent

That fella on the you tube is very lucky (a) he didnt break a leg and (b) he wasnt skinned alive....why? Good gear.....in the sunny weather i saw a middle age fella in his shorts riding around on a GS, .......as James May says, a "cock".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

A guy on a zx10 flew passed me on the N7 this morning wearing jeans, runners and a jumper.... mad bastard......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

aaakev wrote: »
    A guy on a zx10 flew passed me on the N7 this morning wearing jeans, runners and a jumper.... mad bastard......
    Fúcking idiot IMHO

At least I can go home & have a shower after wearing the leather jacket, boots & kevlar jeans in this weather

Road rash don't come off that easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Yeah its the same law for bikes and cars. Although with nothing in the oncoming Lane I couldn't see why any biker would not cross the line and move up. Otherwise ya might aswell be in a car and not on a bike.

But ya have to do it slowly and watch for pedestrians appearing between the cars on your left in the slow traffic. The key to situations is slow speed and a shed load of observation.

Fúcking idiot IMHO

At least I can go home & have a shower after wearing the leather jacket, boots & kevlar jeans in this weather

Road rash don't come off that easy

Why is he a fcuking idiot iyho...??.............if HE feels comfortable doing it why does it bother you..??

OTOH...if it was stolen thats a different thread...;)

Another time I was coming out from Dublin Docks and a 40ft was in the right hand lane as I was on the inside with the intention of turning left, presuming he was turning right.(no indicators) However he thought he was in a ralley car and was swerving to the right hand lane in order to take a hard swing to the left ( the racing line ). When I realised what he was doing and the 40ft was bearing in on me, I saw an entranceway that allowed me to mount the path and shot up that. I was sick as a dog afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Another time I was coming out from Dublin Docks and a 40ft was in the right hand lane as I was on the inside with the intention of turning left, presuming he was turning right.(no indicators) However he thought he was in a ralley car and was swerving to the right hand lane in order to take a hard swing to the left ( the racing line ). When I realised what he was doing and the 40ft was bearing in on me, I saw an entranceway that allowed me to mount the path and shot up that. I was sick as a dog afterwards.

Quite common for big trucks to take lines that seem unusual. Best thing to do is give them a wide berth at roundabouts and junctions. Sure you could nip on beside them , but what's the rush ya will get past them after the junction no probs!

Sounds like quick thinking on your part ( with a bit of luck) saved your ass.

• Advertisement

leppla wrote: »
    Quite common for big trucks to take lines that seem unusual. Best thing to do is give them a wide berth at roundabouts and junctions. Sure you could nip on beside them , but what's the rush ya will get past them after the junction no probs!

Sounds like quick thinking on your part ( with a bit of luck) saved your ass.

I hear ye, was a courier at the time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm not riding in Ireland at the moment but when I rode abroad I always used to tell friends "it's not if you fall off, it's when you fall off".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

leppla wrote: »
    Prob not a good idea to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid something. Hitting something head on would be a lot worse.

His brake light only comes on at the last second, he had no time to react at all to avoid the car.

You can cross a continuous white line for access or in an emergency, according to the Rules of the Road. Bikes have a bit more leeway, cos you can shimmy back in, but anything that happens when you're on the far side of the CWL will be deemed to be your fault. plus you run the risk of getting a ticket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Wasn't even indicating . Had no chance .

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fingers!

There is an indicator light at 0:05 alright

Why is he a fcuking idiot iyho...??.............if HE feels comfortable doing it why does it bother you..??

Yeah, i drive a bit runners and jeans. Probably should at least wear the boots, but just a short 15 minute commute on the m50 I can't be arsed. On a spin I would.
    We all know the risks and take our chances. I also have a car sitting at home, if i wanted to take less risk i'd take that ;)

Fingers! wrote: »
    There is an indicator light at 0:05 alright

Well spotted .

I wonder if she was prosecuted for careless driving , presume the video evidence is usable ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, i drive a bit runners and jeans. Probably should at least wear the boots, but just a short 15 minute commute on the m50 I can't be arsed. On a spin I would.
    We all know the risks and take our chances. I also have a car sitting at home, if i wanted to take less risk i'd take that ;)
    It doesn't bother me, I just feel why take the risk if you have the gear just because it's inconvenient to put it on for whatever reason

Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age & with my past post crash recuperation experiences, including pins inserted, grafts, fractures etc., I don't think it's worth the risk

To each their own though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Cienciano wrote: »

I've been lucky/unlucky (delete as applicable) enough to have had only one off in over 30 years of riding. I was on a 10 minute run from Ballyfermot to Neilstown. Car pulled across in front of me leaving me with my shoulder broken, wrist broken completely in two and my knee/tibia in around 20+ pieces. It was reckoned by the Dr. who treated/rebuilt me that the gear I was wearing did actually save my leg. Without the leather and assorted pads and armour it would have probably been an amputation.
    To answer the two most common questions, The Doctor was a biker not a scaremonger and yes I was a little over the 50km speed limit.
    Regardless of weather, I now make damn sure everything I wear is armoured/ padded etc. With the fibres and technology available today there really is no excuse for not wearing decent PPE.

Advertisement