Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Close shaves? You drive a bike, you will have an off, at some stage

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It doesn't bother me, I just feel why take the risk if you have the gear just because it's inconvenient to put it on for whatever reason

Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age & with my past post crash recuperation experiences, including pins inserted, grafts, fractures etc., I don't think it's worth the risk

To each their own though
    I'd probably wear flip flops if I could change gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'd probably wear flip flops if I could change gear

I'd rather you than me, but in saying that I was in Crete last year and saw a couple on a Hayabusa. He was in shorts t-shirt and slip on trainers. She was wearing short-shorts (think Dukes of Hazzard, only tighter) bikini and sandals. In 40 degree heat, it looked awful tempting.

I was renting a harley in Vegas before, they asked if I wanted a jacket, I said yes. So went in and tried a few on, it was so hot that I decided I wouldn't bother. Came back out to pay and told them not to bother adding the jacket (it was extra).
    They said "we didn't include it anyway, no one ever takes the jacket". Was about 40 degrees there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah, i drive a bit runners and jeans. Probably should at least wear the boots, but just a short 15 minute commute on the m50 I can't be arsed. On a spin I would.
    We all know the risks and take our chances. I also have a car sitting at home, if i wanted to take less risk i'd take that ;)

Bear in mind that the foot and lower leg has the worst circulation of any part of your body and is the slowest to heal.

I'd go without gloves sooner than I'd go without proper bike boots. I was hit side-on by a car turning right, impacted on my foot, I got away with a fractured metatarsal and 2 crushed toes (and a broken kneecap from being launched in the air while my leg was pinned.) I don't like to think about how much if any of my foot would be left if I'd been wearing trainers.

Bike boots are no effort to put on, and offer a lot of protection to a part of your body that is a lot more vulnerable and hard to heal than people think. Crazy not to wear them imho.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

What do you guys think of wearing motocross boots? I have a pair that I wear on the bike as I've no "road" boots.

I wear them coz they're comfy and imho, offer decent protection also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Magown3 wrote: »
    What do you guys think of wearing motocross boots? I have a pair that I wear on the bike as I've no "road" boots.

Are they not a bit big and bulky for everyday use no? Iv a nearly new pair of boots for sale if your interested sure send me a pm ;)

Magown3 wrote: »

Should offer better protection than most road boots. They're designed to have bikes falling on them regularly. They're generally a bit more bulky and louder design, and probably not fully waterproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I wouldn't call motocross boots comfy, they do offer the best protection though. I couldn't walk in them, put it that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

They're a little bulky alright but nothing I can't handle. It's good to hear that their protection is as good as other boots I'll stick with them for a while.

I'm pretty sure that they ARE waterproof but not tested in really bad stuff. Also, if u don't have them on really tight like you would on a motocross bike, there's a decent level of comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Still fairly new to bikes, only had one close one which of course came from overconfidence.

On a country road came into a corner a bit too quick, there had been a farmer driving in and out of a field so there was sh!te all over the road, didn't see this until I was already in the corner!

Couldn't lean into the corner or the bike would have went from under me, tried to stay upright and make it around but ended up being pushed out into the ditch. Front wheel bogged down in a drain and bike stopped dead, I did my best superman impression over the handlebars and ended up landing shoulder first on the road and rolling a few times. Few scrapes and bruises, the handlebar caught me nasty around the groin, I back handed the road which hurt like hell even through the gloves. Bit stiff for a few days after thankful it wasn't worse. Needless to say I'm glad to have that learning curve behind me!

111.jpg

• Advertisement

Mick55 wrote: »
    Still fairly new to bikes, only had one close one which of course came from overconfidence.

On a country road came into a corner a bit too quick, there had been a farmer driving in and out of a field so there was sh!te all over the road, didn't see this until I was already in the corner!

Couldn't lean into the corner or the bike would have went from under me, tried to stay upright and make it around but ended up being pushed out into the ditch. Front wheel bogged down in a drain and bike stopped dead, I did my best superman impression over the handlebars and ended up landing shoulder first on the road and rolling a few times. Few scrapes and bruises, the handlebar caught me nasty around the groin, I back handed the road which hurt like hell even through the gloves. Bit stiff for a few days after thankful it wasn't worse. Needless to say I'm glad to have that learning curve behind me!

111.jpg
    Best way of learning is a near miss or incident like that. You'll never go too fast around a corner again (well, maybe not) and you'll always watch for shít on the roads. Similar happened to most bikers with shít (literally) on the road. Loose chippings are another disaster, I was near Clonalvy village and went around a corner and found the council had topped a road with loose chippings. About an inch deep of poxy gravel on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

Best way of learning is a near miss or incident like that. You'll never go too fast around a corner again (well, maybe not) and you'll always watch for shít on the roads. Similar happened to most bikers with shít (literally) on the road. Loose chippings are another disaster, I was near Clonalvy village and went around a corner and found the council had topped a road with loose chippings. About an inch deep of poxy gravel on the road.

that used to be clare county councils favourite way of repairing a road, just lob an inch of gravel for a few hundred metres down the road, sure the cars driving over it will compress it down, saves us doing it...

Had many, many interesting rides along the coast due to this malarky over the years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Bandit 6

and people wonder why biking is dying off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Best way of learning is a near miss or incident like that. You'll never go too fast around a corner again

Amen to that. First day out on my first proper 'twisty road' ride. Went into a corner that tightened unexpectedly. Grabbed instinctively for the front brake
    and sailed out onto the other side. Had a car been coming I would have been toast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

ninja900 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the foot and lower leg has the worst circulation of any part of your body and is the slowest to heal.

I'd go without gloves sooner than I'd go without proper bike boots. I was hit side-on by a car turning right, impacted on my foot, I got away with a fractured metatarsal and 2 crushed toes (and a broken kneecap from being launched in the air while my leg was pinned.) I don't like to think about how much if any of my foot would be left if I'd been wearing trainers.

Bike boots are no effort to put on, and offer a lot of protection to a part of your body that is a lot more vulnerable and hard to heal than people think. Crazy not to wear them imho.

I'd be the opposite to be honest! Though 99.9% of the time I wear both, I've never went out without gloves.

I've been in a cast for the past 4 weeks after an operation to fix a broken finger, and being one handed sucks. I'd much rather be hobbling around on crutches than be without a hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭HamSambo

If you're hobbling around on crutches then you're gonna have no free hands

Amen to that. First day out on my first proper 'twisty road' ride. Went into a corner that tightened unexpectedly. Grabbed instinctively for the front brake
    and sailed out onto the other side. Had a car been coming I would have been toast.

Everyone has done that at some point! Natural reaction as you said is to brake, so bike straightens up and goes straight. Good read here:
    http://www.ofirmx.com/blog/2013-04-10/motorcycle-cornering-survival-reactions-and-proper-body-positioning/21

Or the video I posted before covers it in more detail, definitely worth a watch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWgb0MtgNlo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

HamSambo wrote: »
    If you're hobbling around on crutches then you're gonna have no free hands

only need 1 - saves weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yup did the same going over the Alps last week. Had my helmet camera on at the time, I may or may not post it when I get back home. I havent watched it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Vikings wrote: »
    I'd be the opposite to be honest! Though 99.9% of the time I wear both, I've never went out without gloves.

Neither have I.

You never see a rider with bike boots and leathers/textiles and then on top just a t-shirt and lid, at least I never have. But I frequently see riders all geared up with expensive lid gloves and jacket, but below the waist they might as well be naked - only wearing jeans and trainers.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I myself came off a good few times over the years and actually had jeans in some cases and found them ok but obviously not ideal and lucky not hi speed falls.
    1 I was doing 50mph and had snickers work wear on and they actually saved my legs quite well as not even cut bad just a little scratch and had a good jacket and very good helmet which I didn't hit luckily enough. It was mainly sliding down the road after hitting diesel and the bike went straight down.

^^^
    There's very little you can do when it comes to a diesel spill, I saw, and was nearly one that came off (two lads in front of me did) when they were building the Luas tracks around the Bleeding Horse on Camden St, You really just have to hope for the best and not touch the brakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It happened on my 3 mopeds back in the day and motorbikes also.

Mainly wet and diesel on a corner or roundabout.
    Sure it most cases noticed it in time kept bike straight no power, no turning and no brakes but the front still managed to drop so maybe just unlucky.

Remember years ago was up the mountains following a friend and he was doing the knees out on a gs 125:pac: he then had a little too much steam for one corner and went straight up and over the ditch in the air and into the field I nearly followed I was laughing so much as he was showing off so much:D:pac:;) I know your thinking how horrible I was for laughing but you just had to be there.
    His pride was hurt along with a cheap fix of one headlighy. Also I was good enough to help lift the bike back to the road.

^^
    I walked by a gs 125 parked up on wicklow street today, reminded me of my early couriering days, deadly bike. Nowdays when someone talks about their GS its not the suzuki version :)

^^
    I walked by a gs 125 parked up on wicklow street today, reminded me of my early couriering days, deadly bike. Nowdays when someone talks about their GS its not the suzuki version :)

It's the 2 wheeled urban tractor now. God, I hate those Ewan and Charlie wannabes :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

^^

Ah, the gs125!
    My brother bought a brand new one when they came out.
    Remember they had the gear indicator on them and all?
    All bikes should have them really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

he believes cages give you a wider berth if the see they are on camera.

If the driver is paying enough attention to notice the camera on your helmet then they're very unlikely to be a cause of an accident. Cameras protect you in the case of an accident but I would be very dubious that they prevent any accidents from happening.

Advertisement