Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Runner 5 mile 28th June '14

Options
  • 16-06-2014 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭

The Irish Runner 5 mile kicks off the Race Series on the 28th of June in the Phoenix Park, who else is running?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

I've avoided this for a few years now. Got very congested as numbers grew.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm in for the 5, 10 and half this year - old school!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Same here. Although I'm only running about 2 years, so not quite "old school" :) Last year I ran in the wrong group, hoping for a better time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

gerard_65 wrote: »
    I've avoided this for a few years now. Got very congested as numbers grew.
    Haven't numbers dropped in recent years?

2010 - 4884 finishers
    2011 - 5119 finishers
    2012 - 4049 finishers
    2013 - 2758 finishers

I'm in for the whole race series except the full marathon. I've never done more than 10km so I could die. Be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm doing it, not in much shape for it but these races are usually fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Giving it a go to see if I can improve on my 5 mile time set earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm in for the 5, 10 and half this year - old school!

Are you going to go from the front of wave 2 again? :)

seemed like a good idea at the time :pac:
    would have worked too if it wasn't for the line of women in red :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Signed up for 5, 10 and half too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

I'm in for the 5, 10 & the half too. Looking foward to it....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

This 5 mile last year was my first ever race, so I'm going again to see how much I've improved over the year.

Anybody know how many start waves/zones there will be, and the target times? Will there be pacers?

krafty wrote: »
    This 5 mile last year was my first ever race, so I'm going again to see how much I've improved over the year.

Anybody know how many start waves/zones there will be, and the target times? Will there be pacers?

Usually 3 waves -
    Under 40 minutes
    40-50 minutes
    50 minutes +

No pacers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Don't flame me, but has anyone ever run this with a buggy? My friend was asking what the hills would be like pushing a running buggy. She does the parkrun with it all the time in about 26-27 minutes, and she'd start at the back and wouldn't cause a boards incident by blocking people (see complaints about poor old Drogheda & District :)) I was just wondering would the hills be a killer pushing a year-old child?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Don't flame me, but has anyone ever run this with a buggy? My friend was asking what the hills would be like pushing a running buggy. She does the parkrun with it all the time in about 26-27 minutes, and she'd start at the back and wouldn't cause a boards incident by blocking people (see complaints about poor old Drogheda & District :)) I was just wondering would the hills be a killer pushing a year-old child?

I'm pretty sure I've seen people in this race with buggies, but she'd want to check with the organisers. It is a quite hilly course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Hi Helen, I seem to recall seeing someone do that last year. It's a tough course, however on a couple of occasions running around PP, I've encountered a mum running while pushing a buggy and "walking" her dog, all at a considerably faster pace than mine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

I've signed up for the four races in the series (5m, 10k, 10m and the Half) and can't wait to get started. Only started running in January this year so have set myself the challenge of completing all four! I'm not sure how if I'll manage them all but I'll never know if I don't try!

Very worried about the hills in this one! Hope I manage them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

anyone got a garmin log for this race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

anyone got a garmin log for this race?

here you go

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/335590399

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

HelenAnne wrote: »

Buggies definitely not allowed in any of the Race Series events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Buggies definitely not allowed in any of the Race Series events.

Is this a new rule? Didn't Gary Crossan do the marathon in 2012 with a buggy in under 3 hours? Actually maybe the marathon is not part of race series?

http://dublinmarathon.ie/rules/

It's in the rules alright

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bit of overkill on the refunds/transfers etc of race numbers there lads...

I don't think they allow it under any circumstances, I can't be sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/marathons-run-in-the-family-for-races-youngest-participant-28825120.html

Obviously either a new rule or a rule that they overlook if you are an elite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Weetabix wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/marathons-run-in-the-family-for-races-youngest-participant-28825120.html

Obviously either a new rule or a rule that they overlook if you are an elite?

Bit unfair if it's the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Ok, thanks! My pal was going to check the rules anyway, so she's probably decided by now to run buggy-free. Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 khno3

does anyone know what parking will be like as will be driving to pp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

We thought it better to spell it out there as Carol, in the office, receives so many queries, including abuse. At least she can refer to the rules if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Do you think this will be rescheduled once they realize it clashes with the Irish Beer Mile Championships? Or maybe just cancelled altogether?

Some body in the race series office obviously messed up there.

Advertisement