Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Runner 5 mile 28th June '14

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

adrian522 wrote: »
    Do you think this will be rescheduled once they realize it clashes with the Irish Beer Mile Championships? Or maybe just cancelled altogether?

Some body in the race series office obviously messed up there.

Sure they compliment each other perfectly. If you run the 5 miler you should work up a good thirst for the beermile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm in for all the race series events this year. Looking forward to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

I am in for the 4 races. Never did more than 10k. I am a beginner too. A little bit afraid.... When I got the envelope with the 4 numbers, it became reality. What have I done? 😅
    Someone mentioned about the 3 waves... you get into them when you arrive, right? It is not like Great Ireland run or FWMM? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

im going back for my 3rd visit to the race series doing the 5 and 10 mile and the half as a build up to the DCM. i have always enjoyed the race and try my best to start at the front of a wave to avoid the congestion but with most races this it will happen so i think its more a case you have to get used to it

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Argh, keep meaning to enter the series, just assumed entry would be up until this week, but it closed last week so missed out on a entry to the first one. Will plan for the 10 and half anyway I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm in for the 5, 10 and half this year - old school!

Me too. Didn't like that Santry 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

Forgive my ignorance (not much of runner) but is it possible to do this run having missed the cut-off date for online entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

fergalfrog wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance (not much of runner) but is it possible to do this run having missed the cut-off date for online entry?

No, pick a different race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

fergalfrog wrote: »

There's a really great 5k in Kilcock the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I'm doing it, first race since I had 2 babies within 18 months of each other and terrified! Would love to do under 60 min which I know to all the real runners is a joke time but it would be an achievement for me!

This race was my first ever race 3 years ago, gave me the running bug which the babies temporarily dampened but onward and upwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I've been training for this for a couple of months and I was really looking forward to it as it would be my first race. I was on for sub 40 which would have been a big push but achievable - now I can't go to the race due to factors outside my control.

Mod: <Snip>

Non-transferable means non-transferable.

You can't sell your number, or gift it, or offer it as a prize in a raffle, or wrap it inside a bar of chocolate. The only person who can use the number is the person who bought it.
    Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate, you may not give or sell your race number to anyone else.

You may not transfer your entry fee to an alternative event.

The sale, swapping or bartering of Marathon Race Entries or Marathon Race Numbers is strictly forbidden

If you attempt to sell, swap or barter your Marathon Race Entries or Marathon race number, you may be banned from future Dublin Marathon and / or Race Series events.
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/rules/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Non-transferable means non-transferable.

You can't sell your number, or gift it, or offer it as a prize in a raffle, or wrap it inside a bar of chocolate. The only person who can use the number is the person who bought it.

http://dublinmarathon.ie/rules/
    Don't be ridiculous , it's done all the time and you know it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Oops69 wrote: »

<Mod hat on>Its against forum charter

<Mod hat off>

I don't think it's that ridiculous should the worst happen and there are no details such of next of kin etc for a participant. Alot of people tend to forget this.

ecoli wrote: »
    <Mod hat on>Its against forum charter

<Mod hat off>

I don't think it's that ridiculous should the worst happen and there are no details such of next of kin etc for a participant. Alot of people tend to forget this.
    Absolutely I agree , I wouldn't personally pass on my number for that very reason unless I was at the race and knew the person personally in such an eventuality , but we live in the real world and it's the difference between " May use " and " can use " , the only way of enforcing the " rules " is by looking for photo I.d at the entrance to a race , otherwise a " rule " is only an aspiration as they are always going to be broken .

Oops69 wrote: »

People break red lights all the time, use their phones while driving, break the speed limit... these things don't become legal because so many people disobey the law. People run under someone else's number, some people run with fake or no number, people cut corners and take shortcuts... and no matter how many people do them, it is still against the rules.

People break red lights all the time, use their phones while driving, break the speed limit... these things don't become legal because so many people disobey the law. People run under someone else's number, some people run with fake or no number, people cut corners and take shortcuts... and no matter how many people do them, it is still against the rules.
    Yes , it's against the 'rules ' but it's not illegal, it's the difference between a law and a rule .... Hence the phrase 'rules are meant to be broken ', it's just a fact of life, it happens all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Folks, I know the odds are mighty slim but I did a race a few years ago and a guy collapsed who sadly later died. And no I'm not naming the race before anyone asks.

I heard a couple of weeks later that he had got the number off someone else who couldn't do the event and the race organsier informed the wrong person's next of kin. After that happening, I would never give my number to anyone for a race that I had entered but couldn't do.

Again, the chances are mighty slim - and I know it doesn't happen all the time - but its a race and there's loads of them on these days. It is really that important to run any race?

'Illegal' or 'rules' shouldn't even come into it, common sense should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭aero2k

chinguetti wrote: »
    .... common sense should.
    Not that common unfortunately...

It's a fact of life alright that some people think that rules only apply to other people, not them. By all means break the rules (good luck to you) but have the good sense to keep it to yourself. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

chinguetti wrote: »
    Folks, I know the odds are mighty slim but I did a race a few years ago and a guy collapsed who sadly later died. And no I'm not naming the race before anyone asks.

I heard a couple of weeks later that he had got the number off someone else who couldn't do the event and the race organsier informed the wrong person's next of kin. After that happening, I would never give my number to anyone for a race that I had entered but couldn't do.

Again, the chances are mighty slim - and I know it doesn't happen all the time - but its a race and there's loads of them on these days. It is really that important to run any race?

'Illegal' or 'rules' shouldn't even come into it, common sense should.

I am doing most of the Race Series (first time) and am pretty sure I registered with sod all infromation - no phone numbers, next of kin etc... name and address was about it, I have only done a few races but this seems to be the norm. I am in no way condoning switching btw, but as a newbie it seems very, very restrictive, I suspect the organisers do not want the hassle as opposed to any safety concerns, recenly I did Hell and Back and you could switch names up until about a week before the race which I thought was good, even the likes of Ryanair allow you to switch plane tickets albeit for a fee.... In this day and age this really should be a very simple process - put a small charge on it say €5 to stop messers...

Just my 2 cents worth...

This could be moved into a separate thread?

whelzer wrote: »
    I am doing most of the Race Series (first time) and am pretty sure I registered with sod all infromation - no phone numbers, next of kin etc... name and address was about it, I have only done a few races but this seems to be the norm.

That may be your recollection, but you're probably wrong. The application requires emergency contact information, along with several other compulsory fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Murph_D wrote: »
    That may be your recollection, but you're probably wrong. The application requires emergency contact information, along with several other compulsory fields.

Sincere apologies...you are correct. I was thinking of other races I have registered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Apologies for taking the whole thing off track.

Good luck to all involved on Saturday - maybe ill be able to do the next race! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I got my number for this. Will be starting at the back. Hoping to jog 4 miles of it and walk 1 mile. Im only up to 3 miles so far in training. Looking forward to seeing what the bag we 'win' is like! Good luck everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ferrari22

So to those of you who have run this before, how do ye make yer way in to it? Driving is the only decent way I can get there but haven't a clue where to park :-O. It's my first EVER race, am feeling like a turtle these days running and I'm ****ting it so don't want to add to this on the morning. Did I say AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Ferrari22 wrote: »
    So to those of you who have run this before, how do ye make yer way in to it?

They run shuttle buses from the Parkgate entrance to the start line, so if you can get public transport that far you're sorted
    Or you can park in the park itself, but not on the roads used by the race

Always leave yourself plenty of time to get there. Every year people arrive too late for the start, and loads more people arrive stressed from getting there just in time

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jimmyshoehorn

Hold on here, unless things have changed drastically in the last year, there's place on the back to fill in next of kin & for a contact number of a person with you on the day of the race. All the non-transferable means is that you won't get a refund nor can you officailly transfer the race number to someone else.

I would've signed up for this one but unfortunately missed the deadline for registering. I'm now signed up for the 10k, 10m & half marathon in the hope of doing the full marathon this year. Also have a couple more runs lined up outside of this series. For anyone thinking of preparing for the full marathon, the week after the half there's a kilomarathon on about an hour outside of Dublin in a place called Moone, down the M9 direction. That's a 26.2k run, or 16.375 mile run.

• Advertisement

Hold on here, unless things have changed drastically in the last year, there's place on the back to fill in next of kin & for a contact number of a person with you on the day of the race. All the non-transferable means is that you won't get a refund nor can you officailly transfer the race number to someone else.

and if you do it 'unofficially' you are breaking the rules
    The sale, swapping or bartering of Marathon Race Entries or Marathon Race Numbers is strictly forbidden
    If you attempt to sell, swap or barter your Marathon Race Entries or Marathon race number, you may be banned from future Dublin Marathon and / or Race Series events.

I'm not involved in the organisation of the race, but my understanding is that the organisers are required to have the complete entry list available before the race, and to pass on that information to the medical services there on the day. And all this is required as a condition of using the park in the first place.

Advertisement