Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Runner 5 mile 28th June '14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

RayCun wrote: »
    and if you do it 'unofficially' you are breaking the rules

I'm not involved in the organisation of the race, but my understanding is that the organisers are required to have the complete entry list available before the race, and to pass on that information to the medical services there on the day. And all this is required as a condition of using the park in the first place.

Slghtly off topic but As mentioned earlier in the thread what do you think of somebody breaking the rules and doing the marathon with a buggy? Instead of getting disqualified he got national media attention. I have no issue with Gary Crossan and say fair play to him for being able to run a 3 hr marathon with a buggy, i just don't like one set of rules for the elites and another for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

it's up to the race organisers to enforce it. I know I would have been seriously pissed off the year I ran with the 3.30 pacers if there'd been a buggy in the group, things were very tightly packed

I'm more bored of this conversation than you are :) but people coming up with new explanations for why it isn't really against the rules is just irritating. The race rules are clear, the forum charter is clear, and if someone really, really wants to do a race they should really, really make sure they enter on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I haven't ran in Phoenix Park in a long time; that's a fair bit of a climb from 2.5miles to the end isn't it?

I haven't ran in Phoenix Park in a long time; that's a fair bit of a climb from 2.5miles to the end isn't it?

yes, those are the fun miles. Up Military, up and down through the s-bends, and up Upper Glen Road...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

RayCun wrote: »
    yes, those are the fun miles. Up Military, up and down through the s-bends, and up Upper Glen Road...

There goes my plan to keep energy in the tank for a dash to the finish (",)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

I'm in a bit of a rush somewhere after the race so I'm planning on Dublin biking it there and back. Any recommendations for where to lock bike near start/finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

ezra_pound wrote: »
    I'm in a bit of a rush somewhere after the race so I'm planning on Dublin biking it there and back. Any recommendations for where to lock bike near start/finish?

When doing the Arc 10k (its starts/ends in similar place), I noticed folks had locked their bikes to the metal tree protection thingys which line the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

whelzer wrote: »
    When doing the Arc 10k (its starts/ends in similar place), I noticed folks had locked their bikes to the metal tree protection thingys which line the main road.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck to all those running this tomorrow.....Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Hi, guys, I'm running this race tomorrow and as it's my first time running this race I have a (maybe) silly question.

The shuttle bus from Parkgate Street - is that free or do I need my Leap card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Hi, guys, I'm running this race tomorrow and as it's my first time running this race I have a (maybe) silly question.

The shuttle bus from Parkgate Street - is that free or do I need my Leap card?

Free bus. Runs from Parkgate Street up to the monument in the PP. Start is not far from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck to everyone running this tomorrow

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Free bus. Runs from Parkgate Street up to the monument in the PP. Start is not far from there.

Great! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Impeccably run race as per usual but let me be the first person to moan about the quality of the t shirts! Loose threads everywhere, poor fitting (I'm not a big guy but even small is hanging off me) , material feels too heavy to wear for a race. Disappointing compared to previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Very well organised as always for the race series,numbers again seem to be nosediving and will be interested to see the finishing numbers which will be a far cry from the 5000+ in 2011.
    No congestion whatsoever at the back of wave 1 and not 1 person really seemed to be in the wrong wave up there which is a welcome change from 3-4 yrs ago.
    T-shirt would not be something i would race in either and would be more of a mowing the lawn piece of attire on a not too hot day also! But one of the best value races about and a banana/water/apple etc + a small bag for socks or something means you can't beat the race series for value in Dublin! Got around just under 40 which is 6+ mins off my 2010 time but those days are gone (for the moment anyways)!
    Nice free cool shower on the way home,hope big Phil Hogan doesn't bill us for it though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thanks to all the organisers / volunteers. That was some shower of rain at the end of the race when I got in 11am and they were still smiling and encouraing us.

Great atmosphere which meant I managed to cover the whole 5 miles without walking and I finished it!

Well done everyone. Hope you get dry soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Did everyone else get a text with their results? I still haven't gotten anything

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

This is the series that got me hooked and it was another great race. Like others have said most people seemed to have located themselves at the right starting point. Amphibian King voucher got absolutely destroyed in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

think results are here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Results up-- http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/race-results.php?event=1682 .
    3103 finishers up from 2758 last year,4047 in 2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

outforarun wrote: »
    think results are here

Thanks for that, had checked this website just before posting. Thanks for that that's great.

I really enjoyed the race today! I was at the back of wave 3 and so wasn't congested; definitely prefer it! Didn't mind the weather either, I'd rather run in the rain than in the wind!

Also got a PB with that today :D I'm over the moon!

Well done to everyone running and big thanks to the organizers and all the volunteers. Very well organized race and the goodies are brilliant!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Great race as usual. Fair play to all the organizers and volounteers.

I have to say though that the t-shirts are absolutely terrible. I'm an average size and the medium on me is like an xxl. The quality is crap as well. There is no way I could wear it during a run. Sports creative seems to be the make. I don't recall getting one of theirs before. I hope we don't get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Did my first 5 mile today in 46.22... Never actually ran that distance before so fairly happy just to have finished to be honest. Some downpour near the end.

Really well organised though, 10k next!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Did my first 5 mile today in 46.22... Never actually ran that distance before so fairly happy just to have finished to be honest. Some downpour near the end.

Really well organised though, 10k next!

Well done, fair play. It's gets pretty addictive!

My first 5 mile race. Delighted with myself so I am!

Excellent race, and so well organised. The hill was HELL and the last mile seemed like it would never end but I did better than I thought I would \o/

Well done everyone. See some of you in a few weeks for the 10km!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

A great race as usual, though numbers are well down on it's peak of a few years. I was a bit disappointed with the tshirt, it's not as good quality as previous years, can't see myself running in it.

That was some shower of rain at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Excellent race, no faults in the organisation, marshalls or the route. If you PB'd on that today your doing very well. T-shirt is a shocker, mine is in two bits now after my young lad pulled it while playing, thankfully i dont do races for the t-shirt but still no excuse for the quality.

well-run race today, seemed to go very smoothly. I haven't noticed any problems with the t-shirt (yet?) and the bag is a nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Started at the Front of Wave 2, Ran a PB in 38:55; was aiming for 42 minutes. First ever 5 mile race (i.e. I have run the distance hundreds of times); so chuffed with the time. Wasn't long before we caught up with the tail of wave 1 (less than a mile).

The T-Shirt is very poor quality; I ran the the 10Km in 2012 and the T-Shirts were Asics and excellent quality I still use it.

Roll on Swords next month.

Advertisement