Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Runner 5 mile 28th June '14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

A couple of seconds over the hour mark, had been doing well on the time but those inclines in mile 4 killed me. Still happy to have finished it and next time should probably do some proper training.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

RayCun wrote: »
    I haven't noticed any problems with the t-shirt (yet?)

me either, apart from the date being wrong, as was the case in 2011 ( I think). How hard is it to put the correct date on the shirt? :)

Great, well organised, good value race, as per usual. Thanks to all who volunteered today.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

RayCun wrote: »
    well-run race today, seemed to go very smoothly. I haven't noticed any problems with the t-shirt (yet?) and the bag is a nice one
    eoinín wrote: »
    me either, apart from the date being wrong, as was the case in 2011 ( I think). How hard is it to put the correct date on the shirt? smile.png

Great, well organised, good value race, as per usual. Thanks to all who volunteered today.

If you compare the quality of one of last years to this one you will see the difference.

It's much heavier now, but some of the writing on mine has already come loose. I'd never run in today's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

eoinín wrote: »
    me either, apart from the date being wrong, as was the case in 2011 ( I think). How hard is it to put the correct date on the shirt? :)

Wasn't the date of the race changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Great race, loved it. T-shirt is shocking though, compared to last year. It's made by the same crowd too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Really enjoyed today, bar far the biggest event I have been involved in. Came in a full 2 minutes ahead of my target so chuffed with that. Looking fwd to Swords now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

New " rule" for the organisers of the race series since they're so fond of making them and we all must obey.
    Under no circumstances shall the T-shirt be a cheap piece of crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Wonder will the t-shirts for the rest of the series be so ****. Tbh I think they're making a mistake cost cutting. The funky colours (sometimes controversial remember the pink last year) and good quality material and fitting are a factor in me choosing the race series over other races. Sad I know but I enjoy wearing the t shirts out training and coming across others wearing the same ones. I know you get that with other races but the material of the new ones mean I will never wear them while running so they miss out on that free advertising
    Mine will all be goin to a charity shop

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

would love if this race was run in the evening I hate running in the morning:)
    The bag was nice but as far as t-shirts go I ran the Half Marathon back in 2004 & the t-shirt was made by adidas I still wear it today great quality and nice material,
    Saw Pat Kenny looking on around the 3 and half mile mark think his daughter was running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I was running in the park this morning (not racing) and saw a guy with a race number pushing a buggy about 5 minute before the start as I went up the avenue on my lsr. Did I read somewhere on here that buggies ain't allowed in the race series or was I raving? Just wondering if anyone who raced this saw him along the way?

Also saw a guy on a bike at the 1st mile marker walk straight out in front of the back end of wave 1. Silly ain't the word as he cycled alongside the runners all along the North Road but cared not a jot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

chinguetti wrote: »
    I was running in the park this morning (not racing) and saw a guy with a race number pushing a buggy about 5 minute before the start as I went up the avenue on my lsr. Did I read somewhere on here that buggies ain't allowed in the race series or was I raving? Just wondering if anyone who raced this saw him along the way?

Also saw a guy on a bike at the 1st mile marker walk straight out in front of the back end of wave 1. Silly ain't the word as he cycled alongside the runners all along the North Road but cared not a jot.

Maybe not the same cyclist, but seen one have words with runners running on the cycle path 1.5miles in, the runners won.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

tang1 wrote: »
    Maybe not the same cyclist, but seen one have words with runners running on the cycle path 1.5miles in, the runners won.

Ha - saw that too, or maybe another similar. Mind you those runners shoulda been on the road all the same. Jumping up on the paths is a bad strategy as I've learned over a few race series.

As for buggymeister, passed him on t e way back to the car. He was saying to some admirers that he "only clipped one runner". Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

Saw two lads with buggies. Wonder how they got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

People with buggies all started in wave 3, there was 4 or 5 in total. I suppose when they are so far back from the front it more difficult to spot them before they start.

No issue with them myself but surely if you want to run with a buggy you can do it at any of the other runs organised - I'm doing one in August, you have to enter the babies too

I nearly got taken out of it by a buggy (yes, someone with a buggy was going faster than me >.<).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

loads of comments about the t shirt but none about the bag which is an extra that wasn't given last year..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

ooter wrote: »
    loads of comments about the t shirt but none about the bag which is an extra that wasn't given last year..

the bag was a nice touch pushed me over the line to do the series this year was 50/50 on it when i was looking to book it. only thing i looked at was why their was a second stop to get the pack and not just putting all the goodies and T-Shirt in the bag and giving it to us instead of the other plastic bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

chinguetti wrote: »

I watched all of the field go by the monument, I counted 4 buggies, one of which was a double with 2 kids in it!! They all appeared to be passing lots of people so obviously started near the back of wave 3 but there was still lots of people around them so i 'm sure there was a few close calls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 capaleen

Had a good outing, got around in 31 mins and finished before the rain.

Being dropped by everyone at the start of military road was a lesson in the importance of hill work.

I almost regret taking the bag, i'll never use it, it's no good for running with - I would have used a good tech shirt but the one they have provided is a) ugly and b) badly made - it can go live with the Cork Marathon 2013 shirt in the drawer of last resort. If the shirt is the same for the 10 mile and half I might leave them after me - no sense cluttering the house further.

Still that's nitpicking - it's a good value race series even if they've cut the corners a bit this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Good chance they ordered the same crap T-shirt for the whole series, Im waiting for all the usual " pure " runners to come on with the usual condescending guff about it not being about the T-shirt, it's all about the quality of the run , accurate course bla bla bla , it's not for me , it's about the whole package for me , so get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

I think the T-Shirt is ok and I'll wear it out for a few runs. My only problem with it is the date.

Maybe I'm just in a good mood because I had a good run.

I did my LSR in the tshirt this morning and it felt fine, no chafing, rubbing, not too heavy or hot (on a warm morning). It didn't feel any different to most tech tshirts to be honest. Now lets see how it handles a spin in the washing machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Oops69 wrote: »
    Im waiting for all the usual " pure " runners to come on with the usual condescending guff about it not being about the T-shirt, it's all about the quality of the run , accurate course bla bla bla , it's not for me , it's about the whole package for me , so get over it.

Emm, who are you talking too? Nobody has made that point - you're arguing with yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

I've already given away the bag, and wasn't too excited by the t-shirt, but it did get a 12k outing today. Feels as if it won't last a wash, but we'll see. Overall I enjoyed the race, got a PB, then got soaked and I'm in for Swords as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Thought it was well organised. I had planned to run it in under 30 but due to events outside my control i could not get to to the park on time and got to start line as first wave went off. I reevaluated and decided to pace myself and aim for sub 35. came in at 33mins. Was frustrating as all the training was laid to waste. running from back is nightmare trying to duck and weave but i know not to rely on others to get top these events now.

Looking forward to the 10km next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Irish Runner 5 Mile 2014 Race Report

Pre Race

I had a few improvements coming up to this, breaking a long standing 5k PB (now 20:46) in Malahide the previous Saturday, and hitting 34:08 in Terenure in May. Having run a 14 mile LSR on Monday and the BHAA trail race on Tuesday, the body felt tired and I decided to rest until the 5 Mile. Preparations were hindered somewhat as on Friday the BIL was leaving his job and invited us in to his shindig. Sure who was I to be antisocial? I arrived shortly after 8:30, accompanied by my hangover, and parked near the Mountjoy roundabout before doing a warmup around the Chesterfield Avenue/Ordnance Survey/Furze Road triangle.
    Just ahead of me as we lined up, I saw a girl in a Raheny singlet who I recognised from the parkruns and who would be of similar standard to me. I thought I might use her as a marker but no, once the gun went I decided to do something entirely different!

Mile 1

I kept to the outside to try and avoid any possible congestion turning onto North Road. There didn't seem to be any problems though, and as far as I could see, the start was devoid of any of the usual "formation running" that normally occurs at these events. Feeling in reasonable shape, I kept an Athlone 3/4 marathon guy and two guys wearing Dublin Race Series 2012 tops close at hand. Passed a good few and got passed by some as well, but no need to panic at this point.

Mile 2

Still feeling fairly comfortable as we left the North Road section and continued largely downhill. At the Aras two muppets decided to run right across the roundabout in front of us, and cut me off along with quite a few others. Going down the Khyber I kept pace with the field in front, but I was having to work a lot harder to do so even on such a steep downhill. Worrying? Sure only 3 miles to go!

Mile 3

As the pace picked up coming down the hill, I was finding it harder to hang on. Going through halfway a guy behind me called out "16", and if I had any concerns about going too fast, well there apparently was the evidence. I didn't feel in shape for a PB beforehand, and even less so now. I needed a lot of effort getting up Military Hill, but I was beginning to lose touch with my markers and got passed by a few others approaching the top.

Mile 4

The S bends offered a bit of respite, but my legs were getting very weak and more runners were passing me now. There was a bit of a verbal exchange behind me, as one guy accused another (who was wearing headphones) of cutting him off on a corner, and it got a bit heated. The long stretch on the Upper Glen Road appeared to get longer by the second rather than shorter, as I was still feeling stuffed from the earlier hill and it felt more about just getting to the finish than anything else.

Mile 5

You would think that the flat(ish) stretch of road between the top of the hill and the Furze Road would be easier. However, by now I'd completely blown my lights, and couldn't pick up any kind of speed as I got passed by more and more. Just after we passed the point where you can look down towards the Glen Pond, the aforementioned Raheny girl breezed past me, but I had no energy to try and stay with her, or anyone else that followed. Just before the finish line, a tall guy in a Raheny top whizzed by, something he also did to me in St Annes a month or so ago. I saw him retching just after the line and went over to see was he ok - no worries to report, he seemed quite pleased with himself in fact!

As for me, a time of 35:32 was disappointing, but not entirely surprising. I've a good few other races in the coming weeks, and maybe it's asking a lot to be hitting top form in all of them. Plenty to think about on the slow walk through the lashing rain back to the car. Next up is the Clontarf HM, a race and distance I like, and hopefully I will be in better shape for a PB attempt on the day. Well done to all who took part on Saturday, especially those who got PBs on a tricky course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done, enjoyed that report. The tall guy at the end sounds like RedRunner - you'll find his report on his log!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Any links to pictures yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Hi everyone, I wrote up a race report on my blog but I'm new to the boards so not sure if I'm allowed to link to it here? I am happy to cut/paste it here if anyone is interested in reading it. I was quite slow to finish (took me over an hour!) but still, I beat my last 5 mile time so I'm happy enough!

Advertisement