Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can we make soccer better

• 16-06-2014 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Can we improve soccer by adding a few rule changes. I feel soccer needs a shake up here are a few things I would like to change.
    1. Sin bin for yellow card
    2. Siting similar use as in rugby but also to stop faking injury from fouls.
    3. Red card for shirt off after scoring. This would stop it instantly
    4. Only captain can approach the ref
    5. No passing back into your own half
    6. No offside rule????? Not sure
    What do you think

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

madra dubh wrote: »
    Can we improve soccer by adding a few rule changes. I feel soccer needs a shake up here are a few things I would like to change.
    What do you think

Here's one...never allow a Iran vs Nigeria match at any world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

What do you think

No offside? How would that improve the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

1. Sin bin for yellow card.
    3. Red card for shirt off after scoring. This would stop it instantly.
    What do you think

No offside and no passing into your own half....wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What do you think

yeah, lets just watch "rugby" instead.

Seriously, is this the type of shíte we have to put up with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pink card for simulation - three equals red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I think Football is going quite well as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yeah, lets just watch "rugby" instead.

Seriously, is this the type of shíte we have to put up with?

How could only the captain being allowed to talk to the ref be negative in any way?

It's ridiculous the way players go on with refs.

Why is Rugby in inverted commas btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Medical card for genuine injuries.

How could only the captain being allowed to talk to the ref be negative in any way?

It's ridiculous the way players go on with refs.

Why is Rugby in inverted commas btw?

I don't like the sport in any way, so any moves to make soccer more like rugby are a major red flag to me, it's in inverted commas because if we make soccer more like rugby, it would then be "rugby".

they are different sports, and each to their own, I just find Rugby incredibly boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

mike65 wrote: »
    Pink card for simulation - three equals red.

Pink card seems pretty apt to me! Muller should have got two for the same incident this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Medical card for genuine injuries.

Would there be a means test for eligibility or open for all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Sudetenland

Introduce a rule whereby you can only score in alternating intervals of 5 minutes. So in the first 5 minutes team A can only score, then in the next five minutes only team B can score etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Stop calling it "Soccer",

Why not introduce some other inovations from rugby as well...
    eye gouging, biting, stamping etc?
    Still, at least they respect the ref!

I don't like the sport in any way, so any moves to make soccer more like rugby are a major red flag to me, it's in inverted commas because if we make soccer more like rugby, it would then be "rugby".

they are different sports, and each to their own, I just find Rugby incredibly boring.

Well they have refs in Rugby so maybe do away with them altogether then?:rolleyes:

Honestly that's the worst explanation for an opposition to a totally logical progression I've ever heard. players need to cop on and there really is no downside to not letting them abuse referees.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lofty123 wrote: »

Honduras likes this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

The only thing I'd take from Rugby is citing. Maybe bonus points for scoring 5 or more goals. Germany didn't look arsed after they went 3 up today.

Well they have refs in Rugby so maybe do away with them altogether then?:rolleyes:

what? :confused:

Does football not already have all that, just without actually making contact? It's good that both sides play along so no one loses face though.

what? :confused:

Well we cant have stuff the same as rugby so everything that's the same should be done away with, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Only allowing the captain to speak to the ref is a good idea. Seeing players crowd around the ref yelling at him is pretty indignifying.

Well we cant have stuff the same as rugby so everything that's the same should be done away with, no?

you should stop putting words in my posts, and stop being so defensive about poor little rugby.

It's a bit weird.

you should stop putting words in my posts, and stop being so defensive about poor little rugby.

It's a bit weird.

Whats a bit weird is that you want to allow players to continue to abuse the referees purely because they don't allow it in Rugby.

Does football not already have all that, just without actually making contact? It's good that both sides play along so no one loses face though.

So you would prefer if players did actually bite, gouge etc?
    its so much more manly I suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Schwiiing wrote: »
    The only thing I'd take from Rugby is citing. Maybe bonus points for scoring 5 or more goals. Germany didn't look arsed after they went 3 up today.

Germany had done their job, it's a long enough tournament so if you can kill a game and conserve energy then that's not a bad thing to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

What do you think

1. Nope.
    2. Citing happens already. Faking fouls doesn't warrant missing games but a retrospective yellow might be a good idea.
    3. No. I think it's great to see, especially for late goals. A yellow is sufficient possibly even an excessive punsihment.
    4. Fantastic idea and would get an opportunity for actual communication between players and refs which doesn't happen at all atm.
    5. Why?? It's not even a problem in the game.
    6. I've always thought if offside only applied inside the box and from set-pieces, we would have more exciting games. The offside rule was bought in to stop overcrowding the keeper and it would still fulfil this purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Why is it always bloody rugby?
    It'd be at least somewhat refreshing if people could just once get their ideas from lacrosse or olympic handball or bmx biking.

On reflection, no more cards of many colours or monthly rule changes, we don't want to turn our beautiful game into the fiasco that is gaelic football. Does anyone actually know whats going on most of the time?

Wouldn't be a rugby fan myself but no harm not having players surrounding the ref tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

What do you think

Why stop there. Let's change the ball and get rid of those pesky keepers

No passing back in your own half. Wtf like

bmx biking.

Football pitches definitely lack good size ramps and maybe a jump in the centre circle alright (stick a shark pit in the middle?)

So you would prefer if players did actually bite, gouge etc?
    its so much more manly I suppose?

If we're introducing things that are not allowed in either sport why don't we have weapons too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I know this is a subject close to the hearts of many on here but my suggestion is this: the teams should be made to play into the one goal. Now bear with me.

Think of the benefits! The defence would be crazy, the goalies would have to tag-team their defence by what was happening on the pitch and it would just be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What do you think

All very Blatterish.

catallus wrote: »
    I know this is a subject close to the hearts of many on here but my suggestion is this: the teams should be made to play into the one goal. Now bear with me.

Think of the benefits! The defence would be crazy, the goalies would have to tag-team their defence by what was happening on the pitch and it would just be brilliant.

I'd go the other way and have 4 goals and 4 teams. Youd get scenarios where teams start helping each other out then double crossing each other to snatch the win 8-7-4-1.

5 points for top scorers (winners), 3 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd 0 for last and to retain tradition, 1 each if all 4 teams draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Let's just completely turn football into rugby and see if anyone notices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Lads in tighter fitting shorts too,keep the GAA fans happy like.

Lads in tighter fitting shorts too,keep the GAA fans happy like.

Rule 6.2.3 - Shorts to be made of denim and no longer than the back pocket of a pair of jeans.

If we're introducing things that are not allowed in either sport why don't we have weapons too?

Are you suggesting that because they are not allowed such things dont happen in rugby?
    I find the holier than thou hypocrisy of rugby fans who constantly bang on about how their players respect the ref while conveniently ignoring the savagery in their game quite sickening. They clearly don't need weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

P_1 wrote: »
    Only allowing the captain to speak to the ref is a good idea. Seeing players crowd around the ref yelling at him is pretty indignifying.

La Liga and Spain dislike this.

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that because they are not allowed such things dont happen in rugby? .
    No but being ridiculous and saying to introduce fouls from one sport to another is just being combative for no reason other than a dislike of Rubgy and plenty of your holier than though attitude of your own.

Would it make you feel more secure if another sport could be found with similar rules and say they are similar to that instead?

Stamping has long been deployed in football btw. Players havnt needed to be shown the way by the dirty Rugby player on that.

Games do and should evolve for the better. Otherwise we'd all be playing with balls that weigh about 2 stone, a strip of tape for a crossbar , wearing hobnail boots and spending half of matches defending by kicking the ball back to the keeper constantly to combat decent teams, while having no subs and just having to get on with it when players get injured.

Theres nothing wrong with looking to other sports for ideas on how to improve. Should goal line technology have been shot down straight away because football wasn't the first to use a system like it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I dunno how but diving needs to get out of the game, it is embarrassing watching grown men playing a mens sport simulating injuries, and this is coming from a man who watches pro wrestling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Red cards for taking off a shirt? Probably one ofthw worst rules as it is is the yellow card for it! You want to make it a worse rule! Red card for diving might be a bit better!

Treatment onfield by non club medics without stopping the game would be one suggestion.

No players can miss a final of a cup by suspension. Runied so many finals.

No but being ridiculous and saying to introduce fouls from one sport to another is just being combative for no reason other than a dislike of Rubgy and plenty of your holier than though attitude of your own.

Would it make you feel more secure if another sport could be found with similar rules and say they are similar to that instead?

Stamping has long been deployed in football btw. Players havnt needed to be shown the way by the dirty Rugby player on that.
    I don't dislike rugby, I just don't care about it.
    I do however dislike rugby fans who look down their noses at "soccer"
    Well done on ignoring the eye gouging and biting btw, you are a true rugby fan

adamski8 wrote: »

There has to be consequences. Last minute of a semi final and your a goal up, you break down an attack with a cynical foul knowing youll play in the final either way. Thats encouraging cheating.

I don't dislike rugby, I just don't care about it.
    I do however dislike rugby fans who look down their noses at "soccer"
    Well done on ignoring the eye gouging and biting btw, you are a true rugby fan

They are things that are banned and carry very hefty consequences (plenty have been banned for upwards of 6 months for making contact anywhere near the eyes of another player, never mind doing damage.

The most high profile biting incident I remember in recent years is in football btw.

Players cheat . The only thing you can do about it is to ban players and that's what happens. If they were letting them away with it or it was allowed int he rules it might have some relevance.

The only people that have looked down on anything in this thread is certain posters who opposed the introduction of rule changes because they are similar to what happens in Rugby and they don't like Rugby so that's bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Black card for diving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

adamski8 wrote: »

Don't agree with that at all.

If a player is banned for a final, 99% of the time it's because they deserved to be over the course of the competition. Should a hand ball on the line or a professional foul in the latter stages of a semi not be punishable by more then a red card resulting in missing the last five or so minutes of the semi?

Perhaps an amnesty after the quarters, but if a player picks up cards justly in the semi, they deserve to miss the final

BOHtox wrote: »
    Black card for diving!

To go with the yellows they are already supposed to get but rarely do? Unenforced rules are not often improved with more rules.

Its all about enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Rugby's an entirely different game, from the rules to the mind set of fans. For all its faults, the last thing I'd ever want to see is football become more like rugby. This whole "being quiet" thing when the opposition have a free kick is a load of cock, no passion, no culture, no history

• Advertisement
Advertisement