Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can we make soccer better

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

There has to be consequences. Last minute of a semi final and your a goal up, you break down an attack with a cynical foul knowing youll play in the final either way. Thats encouraging cheating.

Thats an extereme exanple which hasnt ever happened that i remember, much more likely its been a 3rd or 4th yellow of the torney for nothing much.

What about that happening in the final itself? No consequence in that case????

Way too often everyone has been denied some great players in a final that really didnt deseve ti miss it.

So many times players has abused the yellow rule to get themselves suspended in a 2nd leg of a tie where their team are already through just so they don't get suspened later on.

And their is a consequence for making a terribe, foul, its callled a red and then yes they should miss a final but a certain yellow of rhe tourney is BS.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Don't agree with that at all.

If a player is banned for a final, 99% of the time it's because they deserved to be over the course of the competition. Should a hand ball on the line or a professional foul in the latter stages of a semi not be punishable by more then a red card resulting in missing the last five or so minutes of the semi?

Perhaps an amnesty after the quarters, but if a player picks up cards justly in the semi, they deserve to miss the final

Just look at alonso this season, no way he deserved to miss out in a final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Ruthlessly punish a blatant act made to get another player sent off using retrospective video evidence if necessary.

For a Bilic and Blanc situation for example, ban him for the rest of the tournament. If in the final, strip somebody like Materazzi of a winners medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Fwiw you can no longer miss the final because of a yellow card in the semi final. Rules was introduced in 2010. Yellows are reset after the quarter final.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Additional balls added every 15 minutes

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

adamski8 wrote: »
    Just look at alonso this season, no way he deserved to miss out in a final.

I can't remember what he got the booking for?

But he wasn't suspended for that one card, it was the straw that broke the camels back. If you're going to pick up regular yellows, you deserve to be banned.

Keane's another obvious example in 99. Was banned, and rightly so, it wasn't a bad challenge that got him banned, but if you're going to continuously play like that, it's always likely

Fwiw you can no longer miss the final because of a yellow card in the semi final. Rules was introduced in 2010. Yellows are reset after the quarter final.

Eh you can, alonso did this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

madra dubh wrote: »
    Can we improve soccer by adding a few rule changes. I feel soccer needs a shake up here are a few things I would like to change.
    1. Sin bin for yellow card
    2. Siting similar use as in rugby but also to stop faking injury from fouls.
    3. Red card for shirt off after scoring. This would stop it instantly
    4. Only captain can approach the ref
    5. No passing back into your own half
    6. No offside rule????? Not sure
    What do you think

Are you for real, this is the most stupid rule added in the last few years along with celebrating with the crowd. Players want to do it, the ladies like it, what's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

adamski8 wrote: »
    Eh you can, alonso did this year

All my posts for the next month relate to the World Cup only, I've no space in my head for other competitions. :)
    Its a World Cup rule introduced in 2010.

• Advertisement

Is that just in the WC? I think that's fair enough, as its not two legs

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

There's enough balls here already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

To go with the yellows they are already supposed to get but rarely do? Unenforced rules are not often improved with more rules.

Its all about enforcement.

No obviously not. It's to replace the existing punishment that
    a) doesn't work
    b) isn't enforced properly and
    c) still offers the offending player one free dive essentially and remaining on the pitch.

But then again I was just being facetious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

There is already multiball in action in games, afaik it is decided before the game if its a single ball or multi that are used in a particular game. This can be abuse by the crowd/ball boys holding onto a single to the disadvantage of the opposing team or abused when the multi ball is quickly released by the home team when its beneficial to them.

To improve this i would make every game a single ball game but if a ref ever deems the ball to being held up in any manner then the 4th official can give a second ball to the impeded team to get on with them game.

They are things that are banned and carry very hefty consequences (plenty have been banned for upwards of 6 months for making contact anywhere near the eyes of another player, never mind doing damage.

The most high profile biting incident I remember in recent years is in football btw.

Players cheat . The only thing you can do about it is to ban players and that's what happens. If they were letting them away with it or it was allowed int he rules it might have some relevance.

The only people that have looked down on anything in this thread is certain posters who opposed the introduction of rule changes because they are similar to what happens in Rugby and they don't like Rugby so that's bad.

Good points, well made. I apologise, you are not a typical rugby fan, that was uncalled for. Any that I meet don't debate too well and tend to be condescending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Lofty123 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that because they are not allowed such things dont happen in rugby?
    I find the holier than thou hypocrisy of rugby fans who constantly bang on about how their players respect the ref while conveniently ignoring the savagery in their game quite sickening. They clearly don't need weapons.

Oh dry up. Rugby has bad eggs. They're dealt with effectively by viewing video evidence. Something Football is very lax in implementing. Rugby isn't the thuggery you're making it out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Regarding confederations and their qualifying.
    Originally Posted by Seaneh in USA vs Ghana match thread

I don't see how Asia and Africa, with with their size and sheer number of countries, is 1 section each while America is 2, makes no fecking sense at all. North, South and Central America should be 1 qualification section.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Oh dry up. Rugby has bad eggs. They're dealt with effectively by viewing video evidence. Something Football is very lax in implementing. Rugby isn't the thuggery you're making it out to be.

Bad eggs? How very condescdingly D4 of you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

As in from beside the goal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

anncoates wrote: »
    Ruthlessly punish a blatant act made to get another player sent off using retrospective video evidence if necessary.

For a Bilic and Blanc situation for example, ban him for the rest of the tournament. If in the final, strip somebody like Materazzi of a winners medal.
    But the player who goes in dangerously and gets away with it gets to keep his winners medal presumably under your preposterous suggestion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Introduce a rule whereby you can only score in alternating intervals of 5 minutes. So in the first 5 minutes team A can only score, then in the next five minutes only team B can score etc etc.

I'd watch a game of that just to see how the rule changes play

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I'd watch a game of that just to see how the rule changes play
    Ice hockey has something like that I think except I think one of the teams loses a player (out of 5) for the time period, so they more or less have to defend. Or so it looks like on the telly

If we're going to look to another sport for inspiration, it should be ice hockey. There's nothing like a good brawl in the middle of an ill tempered game, and ice hockey leads the way in that regard. **** the respectfulness and gentlemanly conduct of rugby. Give me fights and mass brawls any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Ice hockey has something like that I think except I think one of the teams loses a player (out of 5) for the time period, so they more or less have to defend. Or so it looks like on the telly

Thats when a player gets sent to the sin bin for a foul it does't just happen at random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats when a player gets sent to the sin bin for a foul it does't just happen at random.

There could be a random buzzer that sounds and whoever has the ball (or touched it last if its loose) has to go off :-)Right pisser if its your keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That's a power play if a player comments a foul he is sin binned for usually 2 mins and in most cases if the other team scores before that 2 mins is up his sin bin is over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

If your team is losing by one goal your aloud bring on a 12 man

If your losing by 2 goals your aloud 13 men on the pitch so on for each amount of goals you get

When you score you have to take off one of your players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

3 points for a win and a bonus point for every goal you win by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I have noticed in the past year or so the diving and exaggerating injuries has become so bad, it really is off putting to the sport at this stage, I think something needs to be done in the next few years to cut it out. Not sure what exactly as it can be hard to define either of the above, but my god am I sick of seeing big 6"2 athletes go down screaming only to be back up 30 seconds later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I have noticed in the past year or so the diving and exaggerating injuries has become so bad, it really is off putting to the sport at this stage, I think something needs to be done in the next few years to cut it out. Not sure what exactly as it can be hard to define either of the above, but my god am I sick of seeing big 6"2 athletes go down screaming only to be back up 30 seconds later.

anyone who goes down should be tazered to make sure the injury is legit.
    If it was legit, then no big deal, because they are already in pain. And if it wasn't, well now it is!
    Now, where did I leave Platini's number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

anyone who goes down should be tazered to make sure the injury is legit.
    If it was legit, then no big deal, because they are already in pain. And if it wasn't, well now it is!
    Now, where did I leave Platini's number?
    Sure why not treat them like horses, replace all physios bags with shotguns. Put down any footballer going down easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

ken wrote: »
    Sure why not treat them like horses, replace all physios bags with shotguns. Put down any footballer going down easy.

Now yer talkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Remove free-kicks problem solved.. It's the only reason players dive.. Replace it with a toss up..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Video referee. Any offside rule or off the ball incident can be dealt with accordingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

How about both managers, still restricted to their technical areas are armed with paintball guns? Obviously shooting each other or the refs would be a foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

I've managed a good few laughs out of some of the ideas on here :pac:

Definitely agree with players on yellow cars to not miss a final, but there'd have to be strict rules where it might be a one off handball compared to constant fouling over a number of games.

The ref thing is another good one. Captains for the most part have to talk to the ref if their players do something wrong anyway. It just makes it easier to understand when there's only 2 people as opposed to a group against the ref.

I think something similar to a sin bin could work as a precursor to a yellow card. It might calm the player down and make them realise they were an idiot. But again, theres flaws to that.

The paintball idea is awesome, but that's just more for comedic value. Id love to see Wenger and Mourinho beating the sh*te or of each others team :D I can hear it now. "Arsene, no fair! You can't hit Terry. He was in the box so he was off limits". "Grow a pair Jose. It was legit :cool:"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Ban short corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The most annoying thing is play acting and diving in my opinion. It disreputes the game and is really annoying to watch. In extreme cases - I'm thinking of certain classicos - it turns a match almost into a farce from a spectators point of view.
    But it's a tricky thing because if you don't go down in certain situations the ref simply won't give it or even fails to see it altogether as the foul ithat it is. I know it is often infuriating to watch grown men go down after contacts that are clearly harmless enough and they would just shrug off in non footie situations but that's the reality. From there then it's only a small step to outrageous exaggeration and even making it up altogether.
    It's like in real life with anything that leaves a grey area some people will abuse it.
    I have thought about this and I have no idea what to do from a rules perspective really. Only thing I could think is retrospective banning for 100% clear simulation like outright no contact dives.
    Anyone else any suggestions for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Boskowski wrote: »
    The most annoying thing is play acting and diving in my opinion. It disreputes the game and is really annoying to watch. In extreme cases - I'm thinking of certain classicos - it turns a match almost into a farce from a spectators point of view.
    But it's a tricky thing because if you don't go down in certain situations the ref simply won't give it or even fails to see it altogether as the foul ithat it is. I know it is often infuriating to watch grown men go down after contacts that are clearly harmless enough and they would just shrug off in non footie situations but that's the reality. From there then it's only a small step to outrageous exaggeration and even making it up altogether.
    It's like in real life with anything that leaves a grey area some people will abuse it.
    I have thought about this and I have no idea what to do from a rules perspective really. Only thing I could think is retrospective banning for 100% clear simulation like outright no contact dives.
    Anyone else any suggestions for this?

Retrospective bans are the only way I can see to help with this problem but even then a lot of it is subjective. When there is some contact you will always hear people argue about whether the contact was enough to bring the player down.

I'm not sure video Ref's for issues like this will be the success some think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

madra dubh wrote: »
    Can we improve soccer by adding a few rule changes. I feel soccer needs a shake up here are a few things I would like to change.
    1. Sin bin for yellow card - Terrible Idea
    2. Siting similar use as in rugby but also to stop faking injury from fouls. Terrible Idea
    3. Red card for shirt off after scoring. This would stop it instantly. Terrible Idea
    4. Only captain can approach the ref. Decent Idea
    5. No passing back into your own half. Worse idea ever, EVER.
    6. No offside rule????? Not sure. Actually this is the worse idea ever.
    What do you think

See above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Video referee. Any offside rule or off the ball incident can be dealt with accordingly
    I wouldn't mind something like the "challenge decision" in American sports.

Each team gets to challenge the ref's decision but they only half three per game (can't remember the exact number). If they are correct and it's shown that the ref made a mistake, then the decision is overruled and they still have three challenges. If they're wrong, they lose a challenge.

I may have the details a bit off but I do like the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

To be honest I think this thread shows that FIFA is actually pretty good at managing the laws of football. The only real suggestions of merit here have been governing how players behave (both interacting with refs and play-acting), which, in truth, is a fairly peripheral issue to how football is played.

While I'd like to see more use made of video technology to help refs, law-wise football is in a pretty good place. There's no need for any real reforms akin to those of the early 1990s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Only Captain speaking to ref is a must (actually across all sports)
    Also if a player is fouled and rolls around 50times and suddenly jumps up to take his/her free ...Yellow card
    and also book the player that comes up to the ref gesturing a yellow card, haven't seen that much lately but always hated it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

1. Foul throw should be a free kick to opposite team, they're inexcusable

2. Get rid of these drop ball restarts as they aren't competitive these days. If ref stops for an injury or whatever just give the team the ball rather than dropping it to the opposition to hoof it back to the other keeper or out for a throw

3. Flamethrowers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

All goals and penalty kick decisions are reviewed by video ref and final decision made within 30 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Joeface wrote: »
    Also if a player is fouled and rolls around 50times and suddenly jumps up to take his/her free ...Yellow card

If a player goes down pretending to be injured like this, I think the opposition player that "fouled" him should get to give him a kick in the shins for free.

Like a firing squad.

All goals and penalty kick decisions are reviewed by video ref and final decision made within 30 seconds.

Why all goals? There's no need for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Why all goals? There's no need for that

Eliminates the debate of whether one should be reviewed or not. Decision will be quick anyway so it won't delay the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

'A footballer spends 90 minutes pretending he's hurt. A rugby player spends 80 minutes pretending he's not'

Jesus wept for such absolute cretins and all of those who can't allow football be football and rugby be sh*te.

• Advertisement
Advertisement