Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can we make soccer better

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

thelad95 wrote: »
    What about limiting offside rulings to just in the box? Never going to happen but would make parking the bus harder.

It would probably have a negative effect, teams would be nervous about commiting players to attacks if the centre halfs couldnt set a high offside line when the team pushes forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Introduce a 3 challenge system for managers. Challenge a decision and get it right still 3 challenges. Get it wrong lose a sub. Make it a 4 subs allowed game so that if you get 3 wrong you still have 1 sub. Make a sub lose a challenge. It would make a manager think twice about challenging frivolously.

Like people have said with all the camera's at games it would be easy for teams to have one person watching the game on a tv with direct earpiece to the manager like NFL saying yea or nah you should/shouldn't challenge this ruling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

ken wrote: »
    Introduce a 3 challenge system for managers. Challenge a decision and get it right still 3 challenges. Get it wrong lose a sub. Make it a 4 subs allowed game so that if you get 3 wrong you still have 1 sub. Make a sub lose a challenge. It would make a manager think twice about challenging frivolously.

Like people have said with all the camera's at games it would be easy for teams to have one person watching the game on a tv with direct earpiece to the manager like NFL saying yea or nah you should/shouldn't challenge this ruling.
    And what about all the games that don't have that many cameras at them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

CSF wrote: »
    And what about all the games that don't have that many cameras at them?

Same as in other sports really - all Cricket grounds are not equipped with Hawkeye - especially not local ovals where "the grassroots" is played, not all Rugby grounds are equipped with a TV Ref, not all Tennis venues have hawkeye - people just get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If a challenge system comes in you shoudl get 1 and thats it.

3 a game is a load of bo**ocks and would slow it down.

You'd get people using them at times when there team was under the kosh and something trivial didnt go their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Another goal six feet bigger than the parameters of the existing one.

Yellow card for any shots that go outside this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Yellow card for any shots that go outside this.

Fernando Torres would be sent off every game. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Booking for any player who approaches the ref waving an imaginary card.

There should be no obligation on a team to give the ball back if it's been put out for an injury or the like - it's the ref's job to stop the game if he deems it necessary, not the players.

Retrospective bookings for diving/simulation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

Place a maximum team budget for each team with all players being paid the same modest salary. Bonus payments permitted only based on the team's performance, individual appearances and performance (MOTM, Goals, Assists, Clean Sheets, Pass completion, Tackle success etc.) with deductions for foul play and unsportsmanlike behaviour such as diving, waving imaginary yellow cards and throwing a strop about a birthday cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Mic the refs so obscenities can be heard, tell the clubs this will lead to retrospective bans (through accumulation or yellow cards).

Blood subs for head injuries requiring stitches, will allow proper treatment to take place.

No points for a nil all draw in International competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

razorblunt wrote: »
    Mic the refs so obscenities can be heard, tell the clubs this will lead to retrospective bans (through accumulation or yellow cards).

Blood subs for head injuries requiring stitches, will allow proper treatment to take place.

No points for a nil all draw in International competitions.

So Mexico would not get any points for great efforts last night?

Defending is part of the game and good defending deserves rewards as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Like is Aussie rules, extra posts for the crap lads to get points aswell.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

If we had more refs like we did last night (brazil v mexico) who let a load of fouls go without punishment ,I dont think we'd have as much playacting as we do.
    A quick 'are ya alright to continue cos the game is gonna?' to the player and you'd be suprised how many would actually get back up farily pronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Definitely need a challenge system. I like the idea of losing a sub if you lose the challenge (I've had that thought for a while) to stop frivolous ones.

Anyone waving an imaginary card should be automatically booked. (and kicked in the nuts to be honest)

Retrospective bans for diving. Sure, it won't catch everyone, but the deterrent might cut it down.

Stop protecting goalkeepers! Just because they get touched doesn't mean they were fouled!

Change the shape of the ball. It's far too round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Change the shape of the ball. It's far too round.

Incidently the reason why tournament balls shoot around so much like beach balls is because they use less panels on the ball. More panels equals more wind resistance. This is what FIFA mean by proclaiming each World Cup ball as the roundest in history. So you have a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I just thanked a post by rarnes1.

This is what the Soccer forum World Cup free-for-all is doing to us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

murpho999 wrote: »
    So Mexico would not get any points for great efforts last night?

Defending is part of the game and good defending deserves rewards as well.

Well if you're x amount of places below the other team you get the points, see I'm making it up as I go along, it's perfect for FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Benimar wrote: »
    Anyone waving an imaginary card should be automatically booked. (and kicked in the nuts to be honest)

I have never understood this. What's the difference between waving a card and just saying "He should be booked for that ref!"

I would expect the referee to be capable of making a decision independent of what the players are telling him to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Ice hockey has something like that I think except I think one of the teams loses a player (out of 5) for the time period, so they more or less have to defend. Or so it looks like on the telly

Six players on each team including the goalie. AFAIK minor penalties last two minutes and majors five or until one team scores, usually the team with the extra player on the power play rather than the short-handed team.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_(ice_hockey)

In hockey, players don't tend to harass the ref nearly as much as in soccer - they can get a minor for doing so. There's a lot of concern in Canada about such behaviour trickling down to the amateur game and discouraging anyone from volunteering to become a ref. Simulation is creeping in but nowhere near soccer levels yet, thank God.

Fights in pro hockey aren't what they used to be and hits are more strictly policed as well. Fighting in amateur hockey is more severely punished.

If a striker receives a pass in an offside position, he should be allowed have a snap shot at hitting the crossbar. If he hits it and the ball comes back into play, it's "live", and play continues.

Actually, on a serious note, that white spray thing should be brought in everywhere. Great addition to the tournament.

Chris___ wrote: »

What about real football i.e. gaa? Now there's a man's game.

Actually, on a serious note, that white spray thing should be brought in everywhere. Great addition to the tournament.

Great idea. It was funny to see one lad, can't remember who it was, taking a free TWICE from a place clearly remote from that marked by the ref and getting away with it.

I don't see why TV shouldn't be used more at the WC than in other competitions.
    It is the WC after all. You can see players in the wall infringing on that white line in nearly every game on TV.

I'd like to see some creativity to break the draw-after-extra-time deadlock. What about taking two players off every ten minutes till you're down to three? Or going with seven a side who can be substituted at any time a la ice hockey and playing sudden death until one team wins? Or instead of penalties, have penalty shots where the penalty taker dribbles the ball and tries to score?

the no passing back in your own half is an interesting one,

But a red card for players taking there shirts off after scoring? send a player off for that??

surely diving or simulation as its now called would need to be addressed first, its become all to often and its just to accepted as normal,id rather see players get sent off for that as its just plain cheating!

Any player who rolls more than one revolution after being fouled should be stretchered off.

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Any player who rolls more than one revolution after being fouled should be shot.
    FYP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

All football really needs is retrospective action, things like challenges and video replays are unnecessary in-game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Ardillaun wrote: »
    What about real football i.e. gaa? Now there's a man's game.

Real football? The one where you use your hands, yeah? Ok, I see your point :rolleyes:

dont think challenges and video replay would work for football would ruin tempo of the match

aaronc182 wrote: »
    dont think challenges and video replay would work for football would ruin tempo of the match

What I'm about to say would only work at the top level where there is a million cameras.

If the ref misses something the manager of the team could say it to the 4th/5th/6th official. He then looks at it quick and either calls the ref over a mic to bring the play back or the official says no the ref got it right.

The only downside I see is offside's. Do you still blow it up and if its proved the player was onside the free is to the attacking player or do you let it play on and check it later.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Real football? The one where you use your hands, yeah? Ok, I see your point :rolleyes:

Funny you should mention that. I was about to suggest that the hand of Maradona/Henry be legalized in the penalty area to improve Gaelic's pallid sibling.

I think soccer is flawed on the yellow card. Being booked is not a serious sanction in a big game. Both ice hockey and rugby take a player off the field of play which is a much more credible deterrent.

Grabbing another player's jersey should be a bookable offence unless excused by some unusual circumstance. At the WC, I see offenders getting away with it in every match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Not really, challenges would only take place when the ref has made a decision such as offside, penalty, free kick, red card. Play is stopped at that point anyway, so it wouldn't change much / anything. Also, each team would only be allowed two per game.

Any slight delay would be worth it to prevent matches being decided on the basis of an error by the officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

If you kick it over the bar you get one goal. If you get it past the keeper you get 3.

Oh, and every player is a goalkeeper.

And there's 15 of them.

And they have wooden sticks with a smaller ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If you kick it over the bar you get one goal. If you get it past the keeper you get 3.

And there's 15 of them.

Can only see that working if the player shorts are tighter and shorter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

And there's 15 of them.

And of course 2 painters behind each goal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What tempo? The ball is only every in play for about 60 mins a game. It constantly takes 30 seconds to a minute to take a free kick or a the ref to have a chat with player. Corners can take over a minute. Even throw ins are slow at times.

If there is 1 challenge per game per team with a limit of 1 minute of viewing time (With the clock stopped) it will hardly effect the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Sorry to sully the forum by bringing up Rugby again but I really think a clock system similar to that game should be brought in. Stop the clock for injuries and so on and when it hits 90 minutes thats that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mewso wrote: »
    Sorry to sully the forum by bringing up Rugby again but I really think a clock system similar to that game should be brought in. Stop the clock for injuries and so on and when it hits 90 minutes thats that.

Games would be way longer than the currently are.

I'd like to see a peno shoot out like in ice hockey. Dribble in from the halfway line 1 on 1 with the keeper. Wouldn't be any better but a bit of craic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

srfc d16 wrote: »
    And of course 2 painters behind each goal too.

I thought that they were butchers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

madra dubh wrote: »
    Can we improve soccer by adding a few rule changes. I feel soccer needs a shake up here are a few things I would like to change.
    1. Sin bin for yellow card
    2. Siting similar use as in rugby but also to stop faking injury from fouls.
    3. Red card for shirt off after scoring. This would stop it instantly
    4. Only captain can approach the ref
    5. No passing back into your own half
    6. No offside rule????? Not sure
    What do you think

1. Given how easy it is to get a yellow card these days, this idea is madness. If anything the game should be more physical.
    2. There should always be a system whereby the governing body can review serious foul play which has escaped the refs attention, and I'd like to see it extended to cover cheating. However, you don't want to get into a situation like in rugby league where refs refuse to adequately punish players on the pitch, preferring into to pass the buck and cite them rather than court controversy by dishing out red cards.
    3. This shouldn't even be an offense.
    4. Good idea. The sight of half a team gathered round the ref screaming at him over a perfectly correct decision he's given against them is one of the least appealing in the game. The players should go out on the pitch knowing they can't approach the ref unless he instructs them to and he should be free to dish our red cards to those he feels have overstepped the mark.
    5. Why? I presume this is some attempt to make the game more attacking, but given how current trends already support attacking teams and more goals are being scored on average than a few years ago, I don't see the point in this.
    6. This is just silly. You'd be reinventing the game if you took out the offside rule. Unless your attitude is that the actual game is fundamentally flawed and that you somehow need to make it crazily exciting to appeal to those with shorter attention spans I don't know why you'd even consider this idea.

I've only glanced at the other replies and see a predictably defensive reaction to the idea that football can learn from other sports. As a football fan first, and a fan of a lot of other sports second, I can see plenty of things football can learn. The game's dominant position as the globe's most popular game is not an indication that it is not conclusive proof that it is completely healthy - the game has plenty of problems, whether it be the influx of oligarchs, the by-now ubiquitous gamesmanship and faking of injury, the continual funnelling of wealth from the smaller clubs to a select elite or the fact that the game is run by a cabal of greedy whores. Don't get me wrong, these problems and others exist to a greater or lesser extent in plenty of other sports, but it's for that reason that football should pay attention when they have good ideas.

I'm loving this World Cup, by the way/

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

ken wrote: »
    The only downside I see is offside's. Do you still blow it up and if its proved the player was onside the free is to the attacking player or do you let it play on and check it later.

Now that we're finally embracing technology which tells us whether the ball has actually crossed the line or not, I foresee a future where a similar system is used to decide on offsides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

8-10 wrote: »
    Games would be way longer than the currently are.

I'd like to see a peno shoot out like in ice hockey. Dribble in from the halfway line 1 on 1 with the keeper. Wouldn't be any better but a bit of craic

They used to do that in the MLS when it 1st started

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Let goalkeepers take goal kicks from their hands from inside the six yard box. This would speed up this very slow restart process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Let goalkeepers take goal kicks from their hands from inside the six yard box. This would speed up this very slow restart process.

No one in the large parallelogram when the ball is being crossed in. Maybe a parade before the game with flags and stuff?

mewso wrote: »

Games taking the time they should take? That's a supercilious, snobby, monocle-wearing rugby idea - has to be wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement