Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ghana vs USA - 11pm (RTE & BBC1) Mod Warning Post #486#

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think both these sides could give Portugal a fair rattle to be honest.

I'm certainly no fan of Portugal, but they'll certainly be more disciplined in the final third than Ghana have been. Number of crosses and passes they over hit or misplaced was criminal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's been my favorite game of the WC so far.

You didn't watch the Germany or Holland games, did you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Seaneh wrote: »
    So the way to win in the world cup is to defend 9 men.

Well its not by being **** in front of goal and scoring less than your opponents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

So much freedom on that pitch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pleased for the US, so much more controlled side. Ghana infuriatingly unpredictable.

Hope they qualify instead of Portugal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Great game of football.

To say I am enjoying this World Cup immensely more than 4 years ago is a understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Good bottle for the USA to not only retake the lead, but also hang onto it. Ghana can deservedly feel like they should have gotten a draw or better, but that's football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Decent game. Ghana were very wasteful. Had plenty of ball but couldn't do much with it. Their crossing into the box was awful. And their shooting was equally awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

Loved that .. Not as much as Netherlands annihilating Spain , but some amazing proper World Cup football (Even though the wrong team won)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Fair play to the US , they defended well , hung in there and nabbed a winner when it looked like Ghana were finishing the stronger team .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So many Ghana attempts that went off into space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

BqSkEY8CQAATb-k.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Boye at fault for the goal and spins around looking for someone to blame....obviously a graduate of the Jamie Carragher school of defending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Ossie putting Maloney in his place there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So the way to win in the world cup is to defend 9 men.

No no. You win by scoring more goals than your opponent...that's what the US did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Em yeah I did. Germany game was spoiled to bits in the first half, it wasn't a contest. Holland game was a one sided drubbing, can hardly call it a great game. This was a competitive affair involving two teams at a similar level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Surprised at how big the WC is over here (USA), atmosphere should be great tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Wasn't pretty but "a win is a win". Hope USA get battered vs Portugal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

namloc1980 wrote: »
    No no. You win by scoring more goals than your opponent...that's what the US did.

The US won't be getting out of the group if they play like that again though. They won't be that jammy twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What's your beef with the USA? That was a cracking match.

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Politics. Politics and the Waffle Taco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Some of the stuff on twitter by non football US fans is funny. One tweet was "Why are they playing more than 90 minutes?" Followed by cheering

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Ghana just played better and were unlucky. And I cannot stand the yanks in my facebook feed who clearly haven't a nothing about the game suddenly acting like life long fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

So the USA parked the bus, played terrible football and flukily stole the victory...

giphy.gif

String wrote: »
    Some of the stuff on twitter by non football US fans is funny. One tweet was "Why are they playing more than 90 minutes?" Followed by cheering

Bloody Yanks. Not like us Irish where every one of us , to a man (or woman) celebrating during our world cup runs were dyed in the wool football fans to the core.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

USA controlled the match, like Italy against England.

efb wrote: »
    USA controlled the match, like Italy against England.

No they didn't, Ghana dominated possession for the guts of 85 minutes.

Ghana just played better and were unlucky. And I cannot stand the yanks in my facebook feed who clearly haven't a nothing about the game suddenly acting like life long fans.

No they didn't play better or lo and behold they wouldn't have had what four attempts that went into the stands? Five?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

BqSlHBWCIAAvEl9.png:large

Overheal wrote: »
    No they didn't play better or lo and behold they wouldn't have had what four attempts that went into the stands? Five?

They played a lot better than the US.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Fair play to the Americans. Ghana were unlucky to get nothing from the match, but they seemed to lack composure in front of goal. The goal they did score was very nice though. The Americans should fancy their chances against a weakened Portugal side anyway. It's there for the taking.

But yet scored half as many goals and lost.

I'd take 3 backs to the wall wins and a trip to the 2nd round over 3 moral victories and a plane home any day.

Possession doesn't mean anything if the opposition control your movements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Fair play to the Americans. Ghana were unlucky to get nothing from the match, but they seemed to lack composure in front of goal. The goal they did score was very nice though. The Americans should fancy their chances against a weakened Portugal side anyway. It's there for the taking.

With the GDS and draw should do it for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Ghana were clearly the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just give Ghana the moral victory and we can all move on.

They were Row Z merchants with 90% of their shots. Possession means SFA compared to the scoreline.

PS- Ghana's goal was amazingly good though.

Cringe at Gary's "Awesome"

efb wrote: »
    Possession doesn't mean anything if the opposition control your movements.

Sitting in your own third in two rows of 4 isn't "controlling" anything, it's parking the bus and hoping for a lucky break. The US didn't even try to play the ball about. If that was Rafa's Liverpool, Jose's Inter or Greece from 2004 everyone would be moaning about the style of play being boring, because it is, but when it's 'murika for some reason it's brilliant?

That's clearly why they won by a lead of 3 points

• Advertisement

Sitting in your own third in two rows of 4 isn't "controlling" anything, it's parking the bus and hoping for a lucky break. The US didn't even try to play the ball about. If that was Rafa's Liverpool, Jose's Inter or Greece from 2004 everyone would be moaning about the style of play being boring, because it is, but when it's 'murika for some reason it's brilliant?

Didn't say it was 'brilliant" but like Jose, its winning matches.

The best team doesn't always win, unfortunately.

Both teams will lose their next two games anyway, Germany will beat that US side by a cricket score and there is no way Portugal will be as naive in attack as Ghana.

And Both Germany and Portgual will tear that Ghana back 4 to shreds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm quite happy with the US win myself, but its obviously possible for a team to play better on the whole and lose. It all comes down to decisive moments, and for those moments, the USA did better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

How dare a side be hard working, well drilled, organised and play together as a team to get a result? At a World Cup, the biggest tournament of all, of all places? And defending into the bargain? Appailing!

Nobody said they were brilliant. They ground out a result. The only one with a USA agenda seems to be you. Sure you were having problems with their national anthem before a ball was kicked!

The best team doesn't always win, unfortunately.

Both teams will lose their next two games anyway, Germany will beat that US side by a cricket score and there is no way Portugal will be as naive in attack as Ghana.

And Both Germany and Portgual will tear that Ghana back 4 to shreds.

Germany will destroy everyone, but I don't think Portugal will have it as easy as you think. I'd expect them to win, but I think it'll be a very tough game. Perfect order of games for the US too, playing a demoralized Portugal next, before playing a Germany team who have most likely already qualified.

It's a terrible anthem. So is flower of Scotland and Ireland's call (thank feck it's not an actual anthem).

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Germany will destroy everyone, but I don't think Portugal will have it as easy as you think. I'd expect them to win, but I think it'll be a very tough game. Perfect order of games for the US too, playing a demoralized Portugal next, before playing a Germany team who have most likely already qualified.

I think the opposite, Portugal will be out to prove a point and make a claim for 2nd spot in the group against a team they know they are better than in every position on the pitch.

I think the opposite, Portugal will be out to prove a point and make a claim for 2nd spot in the group against a team they know they are better than in every position on the pitch.

I think it'll start like that, but could see frustration setting in very quickly if the US are as organised defensively as they were today. Think it'll go one of two ways;
    Portugal score early, and romp to victory, or,
    Portugal get held off for the first 20 or 30 mins and the heads start to drop, frustration with the well drilled american system sets in, and players start to overrun the ball. Then, anything could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

They were brilliant!

Guess Ghana just has more Milan players than USA does...

Advertisement